BF3 Rig Talk Time!

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

Hey guys,

So i'm just gonna post here what rig i came up with from putting stuff together on e-buyer. Try and ignore the prices, most of them here are as cheap as i can get but i just put it all together on here to make it easier to see. ANY INPUT from anyone would be much appreciated, i know everyones got lives to be going on with. Planning on getting this in about a months time from now, as i go back to University early september wanna give myself a week or two to get it all sorted.

Processor - Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor - £163.71

Case & PSU- CM Storm Scout + Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W Modular PSU *Special Offer Bundle* - £123.99

MOBO - Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard - £150.82

GPU - MSI 1536MB GeForce GTX 580 Twin Frozr II/OC NVIDIA Graphics Card - £379.99

RAM - Corsair 8GB ((2x4GB) DDR3 2000MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V - £89.99

Heatsink - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler - £15.22

HDD - Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - £40.98

Total comes to about £980

Let me know what you think. I'm pretty dead set on the GPU and Processor, probably the Mobo too. It's the smaller stuff i'm not so hot on. I probably forgot some stuff too....

Thanks in advance!

never ever ever ever again am i going to use crossfire, i fell in the trap currently with my 2 4850s. Seriously there is not a difference when its turned on to when its turned off.

From what i've read its better to have one insane card. However, my hope is in the future when the price drops is to get another 580 and SLI it. Im talking wayyyyy down the line here.

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=

Completely off topic, but is the British pound key shift+4 on a British keyboard like the dollar sign on an American keyboard or is it a specialty character? Or do you guys use the same keyboard?

I would take the system you spec'd out.

Haha ski the pound sign is shift+3, dollar is shift+4 for us as well. Whats on your number 3? is it the euro? Cause we dont have the euro sign :P

And thanks for the input :D

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
Haha ski the pound sign is shift+3, dollar is shift+4 for us as well. Whats on your number 3? is it the euro? Cause we dont have the euro sign :P

And thanks for the input :D

Shift+3 is #. My iPad does let me make the £ sign but it is "special".

Guest Doubleome
I'm pretty sure that two 6950s in crossfire beats out the 580 and it's cheaper.

If I look at the prices 2x 6950 comes well above the price of a GTX 580.

Guest PainKiller
I'm pretty sure that two 6950s in crossfire beats out the 580 and it's cheaper.

That would be over the price of a GTX 580 and I agree with Crazy' Choice... It just seems to ME that if you are going to do a big upgrade then you mies well get the best. and imo the GTX 580 will last us for quite some time. but again this is based off of what I know and I do not know how big of a difference duel cards makes but yeah.

Guest SpRayAndPrAy

I would stick with the one good card for now. We have no idea how well BF3 will scale with SLI/Xfire yet.

For mobo and gpu i stick with EVGA brand all the way but that's just my preference.

Guest Doubleome
The Sany bridge E series i7 3820 should be comming start of october end of november. Basicly a non efficient version of the current i7 I would assume at 130 Watts. 3.6 Ghz 4 core 8 threads. Price 300 dollars so slightly more then a i5 2500k. I'll have to pull all my nerves together to try and survive BF3 without a insane rig on release.

Guest RET.WO1.Pieman=US=
In USD it comes out cheaper.

Thats cause 1 USD = about 1.4 Pounds.

I have the i5 2500k, its a great proccesser but I've never really owned anything else to compare it to.

Guest Mythos

Thats what I did. Alltho. You need the xfx 6950 (the once with the highest GB. I cannot remember what It were). To beat it.

Alltho

I went with the xfx 6970 2GB and tho of them. But the 580 Beats the 6970 2GB in games if you dont have 2 of the 6970 in crossfire.

Guest Mythos
Why dont you go for a i7. Is it that mutch cheeper over there? cuz in norway its pready close and after what I could tell the i7 if just a little bit more powerful for nealy no extra money?

Guest BigMac530

Its sad to see technology evolve so quickly. To know that the GPU you have now is old is heartbreaking. :(

PS. Are there any Min. Requirement specs out for BF3 yet?

Guest RET.MCPO.MasterOfPuppets=US=
Its sad to see technology evolve so quickly. To know that the GPU you have now is old is heartbreaking. :(

PS. Are there any Min. Requirement specs out for BF3 yet?

When I saw your name in this thread I was expecting another alien ware suggestion.

Anyways I think they only announced what the computers at e3 were running, there might be actual specs but I haven't really been paying attention to bf3 news.

Guest BigMac530

Crazy is the LAST (along with Xander) person i would recommend Alienware too. I just got lucky with my Alienware, not breaking down and being cheap. But enough of that, lets talk specs.

Crazy that build is pretty awesome. What about liquid cooling? Would you look into that for this system or are fans fine for you?

Ive had the same specs for about a year now and was wondering which component out of all of them is the most due for an upgrade. Multipule suggestions would be good too.

Processor:

Intel® Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz (*OCed to 3.36GHz) Liquid Cooled

Memory:

6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3

Video:

(x1)ATI Radeon HD 5870, 1GB GDDR5

I'm looking into getting more ram. I do video making and editing of games now with Sony Vegas Pro 10, and I have found out that 6 gigs isn't enough. Looking into 12 Gigs.

Guest RET.Maj.Skyler=US=
At work tonight i will put my To Be Computer specs up. Hopefully will spend 2k on it if i get this new job.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

It's a good build, if you're set on the processor.

definitely go with 580 over 6950xfire. You should never xfire to beat a high end single card. Especially in this day and age, when 7xxx is either coming out end of year or early next year. Xfire/SLI should come into play where you don't want to upgrade your current card but can still get some life out of it and price point makes it worth it. So when the nv 6xx start comin out, if you can get a 2nd 580 by then for half the price, I'd consider it.

I personally would wait until 8150fx comes out in Sept, just to see if it affects pricing, but it's still a good build. 2500k is solid.

Bigmac, your build is something I would consider dropping a 2nd 5870 in. your cpu is still ok. and 6gb should still be enough but you could consider an upgrade.

But the problem is triple channel is EOL imo. It was a marketing ploy to sell more ram, so now ur gonna have 12 g of triple channel. Your next build will be dual channel most likely. Up to you. Ram is cheap nowadays.

Guest BigMac530
Bigmac, your build is something I would consider dropping a 2nd 5870 in. your cpu is still ok. and 6gb should still be enough but you could consider an upgrade.

But the problem is triple channel is EOL imo. It was a marketing ploy to sell more ram, so now ur gonna have 12 g of triple channel. Your next build will be dual channel most likely. Up to you. Ram is cheap nowadays.

I want to upgrade my ram to 12 Gigs, but idk which ones would be good for me.

A second 5870? How good is Xfire? Will it increase gaming and video editing performance? What if I wait for a top of the line card to get released at the end/beginning of 2011/2012 like you said?

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

Yeah that is probably a better idea cause 5870s are EOL now so it's hard to find a good price. They should be in the 250 range if you look at performance, but I don't think they are being produced so it's hard to find. It's a decision of incremental gain vs cost. A 5870 is currently around a 6950 in perf, and a 6970 is better by a bit. Not really worth an upgrade. When the next batch comes out, it really just matters if you are happy with your performance. If you're still consistently getting 60 fps at your resolution, no need to upgrade.

For the ram it's generally good to stay with the same type across so just buy whatever you have. You can buy 6gigs pretty cheap nowadays, under $50.

Archived