BF3 Rig Talk Time!

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

Guest BigMac530
Yeah I think I will do that. But im not so sure how or what ram to select. The speed, what x what, etc... I know i want 12 gigs of ram though.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

you already have 6 right, so get 6 more

6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3

look at the brand and model number and buy the same one at 1333mhz

or do you only have 3 dimms?

Guest BigMac530

I was thinking along the lines of getting a totally brand new RAM set. Dell gave me a printout of all the specs in the computer in the shipping box and it doesn't specify what brand the RAM is, or the GPU and motherboard for a matter of fact. Like it says ATI but there is no brand like XFX, Sapphire, etc. I think that it is a genuine video card from ATI.

But yeah i though you always had to buy new ram sticks when you want to upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, now i need help!

I got all my parts, majority of what i said on the start thread. Spent today getting everything hooked up and well.

Now the problem is, when i boot up the system it's all running fine i just am not getting any display. According to the Z68 manual i'm supposed to hear beeps from the mobo to say if things are good or bad, i dont get any. I had some confusion when installing the cables from the psu (AX850 Corsair) into the mobo, as the ATX12 slot has 8 pins but only a 4 pin cable will fit (according to the manual that is an option), so it could be that? I tried taking out my GPU and just running it without, but i dont know whether i should be looking for a DVI or VGA output to my monitor. I have tried both but neither want to show anything on my monitor.

I'll explain more if you need it, i just need help please :)

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
If im not mistaken you can simply plug in half the pins and that won't be an issue. Try a different monitor perhaps and check your connections twice. Are you seeing just a blank screen, does the screen register any input?(the power light may turn green etc)

Ok thanks for clearing up the first bit. I have two monitors which i can try it on, with both of them the monitor does not change from standby mode. With my other pc, once it was turned on the monitors would automatically show the display.

My other monitor is a tv, and it detects when certain plugs are put in. With both the DVI and VGA cables it detects a powered connection but again does not display anything.

Is there anything i should be doing like pressing del on a keyboard or inserting a startup disk or should it go straight to a BIOS screen?

Guest Doubleome
Ye I would try replug every cable. Also the video card should have some sort of LED somewhere showing its state, might not get enough power.

Well it turns out there are 2 or 3 bent pins on the MOBO processor slot. Seriously, nothing is ever easy for me. I'm almost 100% sure it wasn't me not putting in the processor correctly, because i've done i before and i was especially careful this time around.

I'm guessing thats the problem. The GPU seemed fine, fans spinning and nothing wrong.

It must be the bent pins right? Meaning it didn't pass the POST and therefore wouldnt go through to bios. After looking more yesterday i found about 1 in 5 times after rebooting, the CPU_LED on the mobo would light up.

Anyway, put in a request for an RMA on the mobo under warranty i just need to call them tomorrow. i HOPE thats the problem, it should be it.

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys i really need to get someone to help me run through everything, because they sent back a new mobo as the other one was faulty and i still cant get any display out of it

is anyone free now or sometime this evening (3-4EST onwards?) to chat through things on ts. i tried asus support who were busy when i rang.

Guys tell me if this is good enough

Phenom™II X6 1100T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module

ASUS M5A97 AMD 970 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3+ ATX w/ 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 2 PCI

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply

coming with 4 case fans and a liquid cooling system.

Archived