CPU Cooling

Guest RocketRepo

Guest RocketRepo
Im looking for some decent cooling for the processor, im not planning on overclocking but i just want something that can keep my computer cool and still be quiet enough so hear my tv. right now the stock processor fan is almost like a jet engine in a box. i have an amd fx 8350 if ya wanted to know what processor i have.

Guest RocketRepo
i kinda wanted to go the liquid route because i've been on air cooling for so long, i'm also looking for the thermal paste so i can change the stock stuff aswell

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
i kinda wanted to go the liquid route because i've been on air cooling for so long, i'm also looking for the thermal paste so i can change the stock stuff aswell

You could probably get away with a Corsair H60i or H80i closed-loop water cooler without having any thermal issues.

Guest RocketRepo
Hows the Thermaltake WATER 2.0 Pro Closed-Loop All In One Liquid CPU Cooler? that's if ya know anything about it, I'm willing to go like about $200 if anything

Guest Warlord6664

Well, technically if you are not going to OC, then watercooling may sorta be overdoing it and money could go into more useful things such as a GPU upgrade or case fans=] ALl heat is dissipated through airflow from hot to cold more air = more cooling.

You will see a huge jump from a stock cooler to a air quality cooler.

Most popular and reliable on the market is the Evo 212 pro by coolermaster.

I choose to get the gemini II coolermaster for 30 USD, it is extreamly quite and is upgradable to a 140mm fan up from 120mm, (larger fans equal less noise) but apart from its cooling quality is top notch with LITTLE noise.

For thermal paste, artic silver is good IMO the key isnt the type of thermal paste, but the application, pplz review a paste being bad but its most likly that they added TOO much.

all you need a pea size drop and spread it=]

anyways I hope this helps (even though you are leaning to water cooling)

SSgt, I use the Corsair H60 and it keeps my CPU under 40*C. Also my brother and if you remember Sparkyghost, they both had the H60. It works great! And it's under $100.

One other thing, thermal paste comes pre-applied with the H60. All you have to do is remove the old stuff and mount the H60!

Guest RocketRepo
Well, technically if you are not going to OC, then watercooling may sorta be overdoing it and money could go into more useful things such as a GPU upgrade or case fans=] ALl heat is dissipated through airflow from hot to cold more air = more cooling.

You will see a huge jump from a stock cooler to a air quality cooler.

Most popular and reliable on the market is the Evo 212 pro by coolermaster.

I choose to get the gemini II coolermaster for 30 USD, it is extreamly quite and is upgradable to a 140mm fan up from 120mm, (larger fans equal less noise) but apart from its cooling quality is top notch with LITTLE noise.

For thermal paste, artic silver is good IMO the key isnt the type of thermal paste, but the application, pplz review a paste being bad but its most likly that they added TOO much.

all you need a pea size drop and spread it=]

anyways I hope this helps (even though you are leaning to water cooling)

well this cpu runs 40*C idle and a hot 65 to 70 during games, i don't wanna blow this thing up. Also only reason i don't wanna oc is because its already at 4ghz Lol what more do i need, also as for the thermal paste i heard arctic silver can possible be more of a problem the it being helpful. i've used the arctic silver 5 stuff and i never noticed any temp drops or anything and i was using a decent air cooling system on it.

SSgt, I use the Corsair H60 and it keeps my CPU under 40*C. Also my brother and if you remember Sparkyghost, they both had the H60. It works great! And it's under $100.

One other thing, thermal paste comes pre-applied with the H60. All you have to do is remove the old stuff and mount the H60!

Yeah im getting good reviews on the corsair h60 and the h80, and as for the stock thermal paste, yes it is convenient but not the best to use.

Im just going off of what i remember about thermal paste, i've heard and have been shown a different thermal paste, i think it had something to do with diamonds or something similar. As for the Water cooling i need something that'll keep my temps low and not give me as much sound pollution. Also about case fans i have room for 3 more fans, sound might be an issue but if i can get more fans in this to help the cooling better then i'll try it out

I know how to solve your problem, buy a 20 dollar portable fan at walmart and point it towards your computer. Fast, cheap, and reliable (somewhat) and if you want liquid cool just buy a spray bottle and put water in it and spray it at your computer when you think its getting hot. Then another use for the spray bottle is for when BF4 comes out and you're playing it and someone tries to interrupt you while you're playing your game you can just spray them with it.

Guest Warlord6664
well this cpu runs 40*C idle and a hot 65 to 70 during games, i don't wanna blow this thing up. Also only reason i don't wanna oc is because its already at 4ghz Lol what more do i need, also as for the thermal paste i heard arctic silver can possible be more of a problem the it being helpful. i've used the arctic silver 5 stuff and i never noticed any temp drops or anything and i was using a decent air cooling system on it.

Yeah im getting good reviews on the corsair h60 and the h80, and as for the stock thermal paste, yes it is convenient but not the best to use.

Im just going off of what i remember about thermal paste, i've heard and have been shown a different thermal paste, i think it had something to do with diamonds or something similar. As for the Water cooling i need something that'll keep my temps low and not give me as much sound pollution. Also about case fans i have room for 3 more fans, sound might be an issue but if i can get more fans in this to help the cooling better then i'll try it out

Try to aquire large fans not multiple small fans, noctorna fan is amazingly quite which i own, the coolermaster fans are like a tornado on my rig its horrible. it all depends on what you want and it seems you want less noise polution, so case fans with large fans would benifit you most as a quick fix.

Also 65-70C is really bad for in game it shouldnt go over 62C in general at least by AMD specs.

Also you must remember stock fan is HORRIBLE compared to a 30 USD OEM fan, you WILL see an improvement both in sound reduction and temp reduction.

but as i emphisized before, thermal paste application is important, iv owned a 8350 and i tested how diff amount of thermal paste caused a significant increase/decrease in overall temperature. The best results were simply to place a pea sized thermal paste on center, and sqwish the fan on and rotate it and wahla let it spread on itself.

Sorry I cant give you info on watercooling i just never wantted to own one just because of science basics, heat goes to cold, which is a law of thermal dynamics, as long as there is colder air around to take in the heat the device will do its purpose. (im not a air fan activist im just pointing out stuff for u to make best choice possible!!=])

Guest RocketRepo

Lol yeah i know about the thermal paste and how much to use, but i've heard of some thermal paste that is apparently better than the silver 5 because it has different contents that the silver 5, yeah i would like more case fans 120mm would be best. and as for liquid cooling i never tried it so it something new, and yeah this heat thing is kinda risky sometimes as i do tend to lower the fan speed so it wouldn't make as much noise when im just sitting here, but i forget to turn it up and yeah so it gets pretty hot, im currently looking at 3 different liquid cooling:

Corsair H60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

Corsair H80i: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181031

and ThermalTake Water 2.0 Pro: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106189.

as of thermal paste i would like to try something other than the arctic silver 5

Guest Warlord6664

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-cooler-2011/Load-CPU-Temperature,Prix_fpricex0b100,2889.html

Above link you can see the tests done by tomshardware how the evo212 air fan actually beats the H60 in performance on full load.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6830/cpu-air-cooler-roundup-six-coolers-from-noctua-silverstone-and-cooler-master/5

this link shows alot more detail about the tests done, Watercooling does increase in performance after getting a significantly LARGER 180mm-240mm fan. but when radiator are smaller its not so much of an increase in perfomance.

And yeah your right about the thermal paste one being better than another, but in general thermal paste brand by brand when placed correctly only solve part of the issue since it would only decrease temp 2-2.5C on avg

on side note I personally wantted thermatake 2.0 extreme watercooling but i opted for 5 case fans and nice platinum PSU

Guest RocketRepo
Lol well thanks for all these tips but i went with the themaltake 2.0 pro and some of the phobya hegrease. i was also going for something quiet aswell and the thermaltake on the fan noise is 3 to 5 db lower than the corsairs

Archived