Guest xRamPagex

Guest xRamPagex

Hello Unknown Soldiers

Well this is my rig

CM.. HAF 912 1 220mm fan added

Power pac.. Corsair 650W

SSD.. ADATA SX 900 128 gig

HD.. WD 500 green(for backup)

M/B.. Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 Bios 3029... I think this board is equal to the M4A FX990

Graphic Card.. Asus Radeon HD 7770 2gig

CPU.. AMD FX 4170 turbo unlocked 4.2 bulldozer (will idle @ 1 boost to 4.2)

CPU cooling..air.. CM/Corsair Hybrid 2 120mm fans

Memory.. G Skill ripsaw 16 gigs 1866 (pc 149000) timings@ 9,10,9,28 (mem fans)

Ok I have about 200 or so to upgrade with

This is what I'm Debating on

uping the CPU to an 8 core.... but i feel that the 4 core I have is good... not much difference in architecture or speed between the 2... I know L4.... 8 mags ..............

Adding and cross firing a 2ed Vid card Same card (Asus Radeon HD 7770 2gig)

or adding a 2 SSD SX900 and raiding them

I'm more inclined to Xfire the 2 vids, but I still can't find the specs for BF4, Hate to waste the money on the x fire method if my vid card won't be good enough.......a little help would be great

Thx Troopers

Guest RET.COL.SilverEupher=US=
With only $200 I'd probably update the graphics card to a Radeon HD 7870 that you can get for less than $200. I had a HD 6850 before and it made a huge difference for me.

Guest Warlord6664

Hello PVT.xRamPagex

You have a decent rig there!

I want to first answer your question straight ahead with 1+ SSgt.SilverEupher. Upgrade your GPU to an 7970 or (7870) but disagree with "huge" difference since he went up from the 50 version to the 70, while u already have the 70 version but the previous one.

You may also want to wait until the release of the new AMD GPU which will bring BF4 bundled with it and you could save yourself 60$ and have cutting edge technology to have "futureproof" gpu for your next new rig if you decide to make one.

I do not recommend a new SSD, since you already have one, and ssd will not increase your performance significantly anymore

I do not recommend a crossfire because your PSU is 650w and you are pushing your power supply a bit too much, especially if it is a bronze. (but if you check your amp voltage and ratings of the card you have crossfire may work) BUT lets say it does work when you Xfire you will not get 200% performance increase, but only a maximum of 170% and on average 150% or more. Is 50-70% performance something you will be happy with? This is what you must factor in.

I do not recommend new CPU if you do not do intensive computing and video editing. I currently own an FX4300 quad core, and I have owned an FX8350 but I have found no SIGNIFICANT increase in game performance to JUSTIFY the price. Hence I will wait for the new steamroller AMD cpu comming out in a few months. Your cpu is sufficient and will not bottleneck your gpu, and also all new games will be AMD friendly so you will see better performance very soon. Only few games utilize 8 core. BUT gpu plays a larger roll for good frames per second than the CPU (some may argue, but just look at benchmarks). Also you have room to overclock your cpu to like 4.5 easy.

Now the specs for bf4:

Recommended system requirements

The recommended PC system requirements for optimal visual quality and frame rates:

Quad core CPU (Intel Core i5 or i7) at 3 Ghz

4 GB memory (8 GB for 64-bit operating systems)

A modern DX11 graphics card with 1 GB of video memory, GeForce 600 series or Radeon 7000 series

Windows 7 64-bit operating system

20+ GB of free harddrive space

as you can see your current rig meets the requirements, above that you meet the RECOMMENDED requirements. If you simply upgrade your GPU you will have no problem playing MAX settings.

Sell you current gpu for how much you can and maybe even buy a 7950 (which I have) Try to avoid 7870 (but since it is in your budget range that is the one you should get), always buy 2 generations forward in order to see significant performance increase. Also I would like to mention that a single gpu is more constant with minimum fps and you avoid software issues with syncing the 2 cards together.

I would also like to talk in a economical point of view, that by buying a 7970, you can later in the future be able to sell it, unlike the 7770 it will be harder to sell down the road because it will have become obsolete.

(I am no expert or certified, but I am knowledgeable in at least to help on your quest to prepare for bf4!)

Rig:

HAF 912, 2 corsair extreame performance fans 120mm, noctuna 140mm nf fan

gigabyte fxa990-ud3 (i know huge mistake -__- for those who know)

Fx4300 OC 4.8ghz with gemini ii CM fan

8gb vegence 1833

1tb black wd & 80gb ssd

700w platinum thermatake psu

7950 sappire OC 1180mhz

Asus 23" IPS

30C avg temp.

Guest RET.Capt.RUSHER16=US=

agree

With only $200 I'd probably update the graphics card to a Radeon HD 7870 that you can get for less than $200. I had a HD 6850 before and it made a huge difference for me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bluezoid

I am facing the same decision, but I think my budget is lower. My Current build:

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS ...

CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

DIAMOND 6970PE52G Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card ...

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

128gb SSD

I am thinking of upgrading to 16MB of Ram and crossfiring a second video card (currently bidding on a used one on ebay). If I can't find a used card I wil probably end up upgrading the video card, but it will be a while.

Thoughts?

Archived