My friend is building a computer

Guest Arrow

Guest Exla357
The A Series Processor was originally called the bulldozer....now its called the faildozer for a reason. An overclocked 8-core APU is less powerful than a stock dual core i5....nuff said.

Guest Halabrad

I would highly recommend NOT going AMD route. An i5 SB or IB are definitely the way to go. Also, I would look into getting a better PSU, preferably one that is modular.

I see no mention of a graphics card either

Guest Snapptastic
The A Series Processor was originally called the bulldozer....now its called the faildozer for a reason. An overclocked 8-core APU is less powerful than a stock dual core i5....nuff said.

the A series processor is called Piledriver actually, it's the successor to the FX-series (Bulldozer). I actually tested out an A10-5800 processor with Battlefield (a PC not a laptop), and on LOW I could only get 30 FPS.. That being said, if you got a dedicated graphics card, you would probably fare better.

Seeing as how that is a waste, I HIGHLY recommend that your friend get a Intel i5-3570k and overclock this. it is seriously the best CPU for the price and when I bought mine about 3 months ago, I got a combo Motherboard/CPU deal for $320.

Guest Exodus

Source?

Guest Snapptastic

Exodus, it's not really going to be the CPU that is going to bottleneck you with an APU. Comparing an 8 core unit like the FX-8150 to i5 dual core, the FX-8150 will win out for a cheaper price.

Now if you're talking about a quad core i5 that is overclockable (3570k or 2500k) then it's no competition. Even out of the box, the i5 will destroy any APU processor.

The problem with APU's is they are meant to be cost efficient for LAPTOPS but they started putting them in desktops now as well. For all intents and purposes, most people aren't going to do hardcore gaming on a notebook, so an APU would be a cost effective solution to get a CPU and GPU.

People see that something has x amount of cores so it must be good, which is what these companies want you to think. The AMD products have fallen so far behind Intel, I don't even know how they are competing at all. If you want to avoid upgrading your computer in the next 2 years, I recommend getting an Intel i5, you will thank me later.

Guest Exodus
They're replacing motherboard chipsets with them, yes I know. I was just wondering where he was getting his information as far as an i5 beating out a hexacore.

Archived