New build...Need help!

Guest xprowlerx

Guest xprowlerx

I have no idea about building a new rig...For the past 8 years I ve been using laptops but now i really want to play bf3 with decent settings...I friend proposed the following setup:

GPU

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007G5HMN0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Fan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001R28LRY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=A3BTFT52IYP40Q

CPU

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005UBNLFK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

RAM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003N8GVUY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Motherboard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058HUQJ0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

case

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006I2H0YS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?ie=UTF8&m=A1F8YGP86NG3IP

I would appreciate some help and guidance if I need to change something or if I need to buy something more (more fans or a different case e.t.c.)

My budget is around $800 - $900

Overall I need something that can run bf3/arma 3 at high settings but also something that can run MATLAB based simulations fast (I m using stochastic solvers for highly non-linear systems that take can take up to 3 days to run on my laptop)

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=

To be honest... This rig will be completely awesome. This is one of the newest and best graphics card available right now (as far as I know). The RAM is more than enough to play BF3, if you want to you can buy two of those to have 16Gigs (but be sure to have a 64bit system as well). Your CPU is also good, a friend of mine just bought the 3.4GHz-version of it and is really pleased of it.

Only thing I am not quite sure of is your fan power supply. I think 800W would be better for this setup, but I am not really sure. Could be that 700W are perfectly enough.

Guest Snapptastic

i just built my computer for $903. you have a great video card.. I use a 7850 OC Edition (SAPPHIRE brand) with dual fan, that runs BF3 at Ultra over 60 FPS constantly.

I would recommend that you make a switch to an Intel CPU. They're just so much better than AMD at this point, and you would do yourself a favor to get a i5-3570K (K to overclock) or an i5-2500k if you want to spend less. They are the best two CPU's for gaming.

For RAM I really like GSkill Ripjaws or Sniper (2x4GB 1600 or above) and for the PSU i'd get a Seasonic (I always say that it is the most important part of your computer, never skimp on it!)

edit: if you need more info, just keep posting, and i'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction !

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
i just built my computer for $903. you have a great video card.. I use a 7850 OC Edition (SAPPHIRE brand) with dual fan, that runs BF3 at Ultra over 60 FPS constantly.

I would recommend that you make a switch to an Intel CPU. They're just so much better than AMD at this point, and you would do yourself a favor to get a i5-3570K (K to overclock) or an i5-2500k if you want to spend less. They are the best two CPU's for gaming.

For RAM I really like GSkill Ripjaws or Sniper (2x4GB 1600 or above) and for the PSU i'd get a Seasonic (I always say that it is the most important part of your computer, never skimp on it!)

edit: if you need more info, just keep posting, and i'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction !

I would agree in advising you on an Intel CPU instead of AMD, however the savings between a 2500k and a 3570k will be so insignificant you should just buy the 3570k for now. You'd also need to change the motherboard around as well.

Other than than that, the graphics card will be great and everything else looks fine.

Guest Halabrad

I must also agree with PV2.Snapptastic and the 1stSgt. on the switch to intel. Microcenter (not sure if they do international shipping or not) has a deal where you buy either an i5 3570k or i7 3770k, you get $50 towards a motherboard (including the extreme4 and 6) If you can find the 750W gold rated seasonic PSU, that is more than enough power, as well as price and energy efficent. as for RAM... both corsair and G. skill make good gaming ram, I was half tempted to get corsair ram for my new build that im working on becuase of the low profile (its always a plus)

also, will you be overclocking your CPU and/or GPU?

Guest xprowlerx
I must also agree with PV2.Snapptastic and the 1stSgt. on the switch to intel. Microcenter (not sure if they do international shipping or not) has a deal where you buy either an i5 3570k or i7 3770k, you get $50 towards a motherboard (including the extreme4 and 6) If you can find the 750W gold rated seasonic PSU, that is more than enough power, as well as price and energy efficent. as for RAM... both corsair and G. skill make good gaming ram, I was half tempted to get corsair ram for my new build that im working on becuase of the low profile (its always a plus)

also, will you be overclocking your CPU and/or GPU?

I know how to overclock the GPU although I don't think the 7970 is going to need any overclocking...but I ve never overclock a cpu...can i buy them overclocked?

Guest Halabrad
i dont believe so, but its pretty easy enough to do. If you do so, I would HIGHLY suggest an aftermarket heat sink. desiding between air and water cooling is totally up you

Guest xprowlerx
i dont believe so, but its pretty easy enough to do. If you do so, I would HIGHLY suggest an aftermarket heat sink. desiding between air and water cooling is totally up you

what is an aftermarket heat sink? :P

Guest Halabrad

i went with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017 its a "closed loop" water cooling. not as good as a custom loop you could make, but highly effiecent and much cheaper than the custom.

then there are also air cooling heat sinks. these things are HUGE, so you will need to make sure you have room in your case (this is were low profile memory comes in handy) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608024 are very good air coolers. the N14 is a tad cheaper and can cool as well as the H100, but the sheer size of the thing can be an issue to some people

Guest xprowlerx

I ve found this bundle offers which come with motherboard...overclocked i5, cpu cooler and ram

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i5-3570k-4-4GHz-Overclocked/dp/B00843OC86/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1344867262&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i5-3570k-4-4GHz-Overclocked/dp/B0085M0JGU/ref=tag_dpp_lp_edpp_ttl_in

what do you guys think about these? which of the two motherboards is better?

Guest xprowlerx

The more I look the more confused I get...When I sum up everything (for a fully custom build) I m looking at $ 1000.... on that price range I found this VERY VERY tempting ready made one :

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Thunderbird.html

so please have a look and tell me if you think there is a catch or something a solid reason why should I avoid getting this (instead of building my own)

Zalman Z11 High Performance Gaming Case

Intel Core i5 3570K Processor overclocked to up to 4.8GHz

Akasa Nero 3 CPU Cooler

Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard

GeForce GTX 670 2GB Graphics Card

8GB PC3-10666 DDR3 Memory

Samsung Blu Ray / DVD-RW Combi Drive

240GB Mushkin Chronos SSD

2000GB SATA Hard Disk

700watt OCZ StealthXstreme PSU

Onboard High Definition Audio

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

4 x USB 2.0 ports

4 x USB 3.0 ports

1 x PS/2 for keyboard

Audio outputs

1 x 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet for network

DVI output

HDMI output

DisplayPort output

so please have a look and tell me if you think there is a catch or something a solid reason why should I avoid getting this (instead of building my own)

Guest Exla357
Looks good to me, but the new nVidia 600 series cards are a bit new and they haven't really shown what they can do IMO. Still a very solid build.

Guest xprowlerx

ORDERED !!!

thanks for your help

Chillblast Fusion Thunderbird

Zalman Z11 High Performance Mid Tower Case

Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.7GHz

Akasa Venom Voodoo Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste

Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard

8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)

Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2048MB Graphics Card

240GB Mushkin Chronos Solid State Drive

2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps

Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive

Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Standard Chillblast Cable Management

24" Asus VS247H Widescreen LED Monitor

Creative A40 2.0 Speakers

Install and configure AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

can't wait

Guest Snapptastic
ORDERED !!!

thanks for your help

Chillblast Fusion Thunderbird

Zalman Z11 High Performance Mid Tower Case

Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.7GHz

Akasa Venom Voodoo Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste

Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard

8GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)

Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2048MB Graphics Card

240GB Mushkin Chronos Solid State Drive

2000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps

Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive

Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified PSU

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Standard Chillblast Cable Management

24" Asus VS247H Widescreen LED Monitor

Creative A40 2.0 Speakers

Install and configure AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition

can't wait

I wish you the best of luck with your new PC :)! I've never heard of that website but it looks like a damn good buy for that price to be honest. I don't like a few of the parts brands but if you don't have to put it together, then it's probably worth it. I just find that building it is 90% of the fun :D

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
I have the Corsair H80 cooling system and my CPU temp stays at 25-29cel. On load it goes to 40-50cel. Very good water cooling solutions.

Guest Doubleome

In my experience people who build you a PC are either fan of Nvidia, AMD or Intel. In my research for my current system I was sure I wasnt going to use AMD (bad experience) and in my research I found very big advantages over at the Intel and Nvidia side. Especially now that AMD doesnt have better price/performance anymore.

Straight up benchmarks for gaming you can get a cheaper 670, and slightly more expensive 4 core from intel and get better results.

As far as Matlab its a whole differnt ball game. Intel and Nvidia might trump Bf3, but for these kinda programs it can be totally differnt. Although Nvidia does have Cuda not sure what that can offer for Matlab though.

I would say for gaming, switch to GTX 670 with 2500 or 3570. ? Either way, for gaming it wont be the biggest differnce, but I expect for a program like Matlab there could be bigger advantages on either blue, red or green side.

Well good luck, I always spend over 3 moths min maxing stuff like this. They are big investments.

Guest Optiklown
Wow 4.7 GHz!!! Overall thats a solid build coming from Chillblast. My only concern would be the your temps with that high of an overclock and the cooling provided.

Guest Halabrad
I must second Opti's concerns. 4.7 GHz on a SB processor would be a breeze, but the IB is a totally different animal. I personally wouldnt go past 4.4-4.5 GHz otherwise you run the risk of frying your CPU.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
I must second Opti's concerns. 4.7 GHz on a SB processor would be a breeze, but the IB is a totally different animal. I personally wouldnt go past 4.4-4.5 GHz otherwise you run the risk of frying your CPU.

You can do 4.7Ghz, it just requires a suitable cooling solution. So, it can be done, it's just dangerous.

IB does require lower voltages to achieve higher clocks though, but the thermal density issue is what prevents IB from getting higher overclocks.

Guest xprowlerx
I actually asked the guys in that company and they claim that the temp would not go more than 80 - 85 C after 4 hours of operation under stress (and I confirmed that in a magazine review) ...they said that the ivy bridge is super energy efficient... that's with the cooler that they have as a default in their setup...however I changed it to a bit more powerful one just in case... If I experience any problems I will consider buying an H80 or H100

• 4 weeks later...

Archived