My o.O rig

Guest Peace

Guest Peace

I've technically have had this rig since 2004 >.< The case is an old HP Media Center pc 854n and the power supply that came with it. I "upgraded" to this from an old Dell Media Center case ha ha (cries inside).

BIOSTAR G31D-M7 LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard. It supports up to a core 2 duo, 4gb of ram, and 1 graphics card.

Intel Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor. It only has 1MB of L2 Cache but I was able to OC it up to 3.0GHz with the stock heat sink and fan.

Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I have this auto-tuned to:

High Performance GPU clock settings: 950 MHz

High Performance memory clock settings: 1435 MHz

Transcend 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

SanDisk Cruzer 4GB (Flash Drive) Dedicated to Readyboost

I get 3GB of physical memory b/c the OS gets 1GB dedicated, and 6GB of Virtual Memory.

300GB Toshiba External HDD USB Device

Sadly this is where BF3 is stored. While in TS I usually hear everyone already in game while I must wait 30 more seconds. I am working the transferring of the game to my internal HDD for faster load times.

Western Digital WD800JD-75MSA3 80GB HDD, 3.5 7200RPM SATA

It holds Windows 7 32-Bit Professional SP1 as well as a bunch of stuff from my old XP OS I want to get rid of.

Gear Head OM3400U Wired Optical Mouse with a Resolution of 400dpi

Standard Full Size Keyboard

Acer G185H 18.5" HD Monitor Resolution at 1366 x 768

Plantronics .Audio 355 Headset

I really should upgrade to a sound card to get the most out of these.

Well that is my computer atm. It is nothing special, it has only 4 fans...ha ha... one from the power supply, one from the CPU, one from the GPU, and one Hawaiian Breeze Oscillating Tower Fan - 27 Inch that blows into the one side of the case I have the cover panel removed.

I still don't know how I got that A+ in my CompTIA A+ PC Hardware and Software Class

Guest Peace

I recently put bf3 onto my 7200rpm sata but thought I'd start in about my new computer build (on the wishlist for now)

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX $124

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W $229

OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD3-2AGT120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC (SSD) x2 $198 (2)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) $47

will buy another set in the future but for now the 4gb I get from Readyboost should be more than enough.

Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Rest of the computer finally caught up to my girl.

CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler $65

Haven't decided on the case yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a custom build this time using a 250mm fan on the bottom sucking air in and a 250mm on the top blowing it out with a small charlie brown figurine literally flying a kite on the top fan. Then on the inside the CPU will have the liquid coolant and the GPU will have its own built in fan.

Guest GiffMeister83

PVT.Peacemaker

For a case i would really recommend either the corsair obsidian 650d or if you have space the corsair obsidian 800d case. i have the 650d which is still really really big. both cases have separate cooling zones for the psu, hdd, and central area for gpu and cpu.

http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-cases/obsidian-series-pc-case/obsidian-series-650d.html

http://www.corsair.com/en/pc-cases/obsidian-series-pc-case/obsidian-series-800d.html

Cant recommend these cases enough. I originally was going to buy the 800d but decided against it as it was too big. My 650d holds everything and I have space to upgrade or add extra gpu's 3 in total :)

Guest famusjupiter
dude why does -everybody- get intel processors?! are they -really- that much better than AMD's?

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
dude why does -everybody- get intel processors?! are they -really- that much better than AMD's?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Intel has come leaps and bounds in the past 5 or so years and AMD was left behind, also AMD is now not only building CPUs they are building GPUs since they bought ATI. AMD/ATI has been playing catch up for awhile now. While Intel has really been competing with NVIDIA in the CPU vs GPU debate both companies think that one or the other is all that will be needed in a computer. Which is why you now see Intel HD Graphics stuff out there since they are trying to make the CPU/GPU bridge non-existent and NVIDIA has been working hard on the CUDA language and being able to use GPUs to do all the calculations normally reserved for CPUs. This "argument" has spawned a new level of technology and has only benefited us, the consumer. In the meantime AMD is anywhere from a half to a whole generation behind and need to use lower price points to have any attractiveness to the average consumer.

Peacemaker, what is your reasoning for 2 SSDs? If you want the space why not just get a 256GB drive? For a desktop IMO its better to still have a HDD for the majority of the files on the machine and the SSD should be reserved for the few programs that would really benefit from increased R/W speeds.

Guest Peace

Well Major sir, after having a 80 gb for my OS, bf3, visual studio 2010 ultimate for all this time and using my 320 gb usb 2.0 external for everything else, I really just want faster load times and a little more space. The 120 gb you bought might be just what I'm looking for, I don't really need two of them after some serious thought. I just want my visual studio, windows 7, and video games to load faster, everything else can stay on the external as I have never used more than 225gb at one time, always delete stuff that sits for more than a few months barring most photos.

I

Guest SoupyFlow

Yes!

But of course if you are on a major budget, AMD processors are not bad.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
I just want my visual studio, windows 7, and video games to load faster

I put Visual Studio on my HDD not my SSD, I don't need fast R/W when developing. It would also give the illusion my software would be faster than it would run on HDDs. I guess it is personal preference, but I don't see the need to include that in my precious SSD space.

Guest Snapptastic

Yes, Intel processors have been WAY ahead of AMD processors for a good 10 years now. AMD Phenom II processors that were prevalent around 2009 are still good processors for the money if you can find them. The new Bulldozer processors that are out (FX series) are the latest AMD processors out and they fall WELL short of Intel processors.

AMD is coming out with their next processors called Piledriver but even THOSE are lackluster units. NO one in their right mind should buy an AMD processor over an Intel for gaming performance unless they are on a budget. Maybe when Steamroller comes out in 2014, AMD will close the gap, and I really hope they do. This is because Intel is going to stop cranking out meaningful upgrades if they have no one to compete with.. So I hope AMD will come out with some new competition.

So yeah, if you have $200, go buy yourself an Intel i5-3570k and you will have what is considered the best gaming processor for the money.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
As I said before intel has really been focusing on the competition with NVIDIA. The "War" has gone from CPU vs CPU to CPU vs GPU.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peace

Turns out I have a $300 budget right now so I will have to improvise what I am getting, a mobo and a processor....

GIGABYTE GA-H61M-DS2 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $59.99 -$10.00 mail in rebate.

Memory Standard DDR3 1333/1066 and my current 4gb of 800. 2-240 pin 16gb max support.

Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $214.00 -$15.00 promo code.

A very nice upgrade from a Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5Ghz Dual Core

I will still have my SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP

My 80gb 7200 sata drive will have to hold me over for now.

It will not be until next week when the parts arrive and about 5 minutes to reconstruct my computer. I am having such a raging clue over this upgrade.

Oh and among other news, wife and I will officially be at the house we are renting from family and out of this wonderful little studio on Sunday 8/4/2012. As some of you may recall I could not speak loudly into the mic because wife was always sleeping in the same room, not anymore, I have my own computer room now.

Archived