Few Questions...

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

1. Just looking to confirm my assumption that PCIe x16 3.0 is backwards compatible with cards designed for PCIe x16 2.0/2.1?

2. Any conflicts I'm not spotting between the mobo / cpu?

3. Does anyone know if there would be any issue running SLI on 2 eVGA GTX 570's that are not the same "flavor"? By that I mean I have a 570 purchased from a retailer in my area with a model number ending in -TR. Newegg, unfortunately, does not sell that particular release of the card. From what I can see, this card has the same PCI type, clock speeds, etc. Model number ends in -AR. Everything I can find leads me to think the only difference between the releases are number/type of outputs, and fan placement/heatsink. I can't imagine those having any impact at all on SLI reliability or performance, but figured better to ask than end up with a non-functional setup.

Now if only I could do this soon... still a ways off on this one :(

Guest Prostego

1. you shouldn't have any problems.

2. They were made for each other :P

3. I'm not sure :/

you'll have to find sombody who does SLI stuff to be sure on that last one. Sadly I don't have the money for multiple GPUs

Hm... so after a bit more research today, I'm actually thinking of bumping the CPU down to Sandy Bridge from Ivy, so the 2600K from the 3770K. Not much performance % increase for the $$, and definitely plenty of folks that find it runs hotter, even though the voltages and TDP are down. Good way to save about $40 and still stay in the over-clockable K version.

In any case, thanks for the feedback! And honestly, this is not happening soon. Way too many things demanding money to make this a reality unless I do some serious re-prioritizing :D The one thing that makes it reasonable to think about and plan is that I can carry over all the other components, I just need to change the core parts, and SLI would be a nice perk if I can afford it, but not a necessity. Very badly want to switch to Intel from AMD finally.

Archived