i5 2500k CPU Heatsink

Guest SoundOfDeath

Guest SoundOfDeath

I want to get a really good cooler for my CPU since it gets so hot.

I had been considering the Cooler Master V8 but apparently it sucks to install it and you have to take the motherboard out of the case and everything and I'm not the best with install things so are there any good ones that cool like the v8 but are easier to install? Would like to avoid liquid cooling.

Are all good air heat sinks going to be a pain to install?

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Normally people get the heat sinks when they buy the CPU so you can install them together. There might be some, but I haven't seen many heat sinks that won't require you to remove the mobo so you can install the mounting bracket. I'd always recommend Zalman heat sinks as they have been solid for me and my friends.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
Any better cooling options will usually require you to install a backplate behind the Motherboard. And its usually a good idea too as it means you can mount heavier heat sinks onto it and usually get better cooling. I have a Corsair H80, i idle at around 21-23 degrees so i'd recommend it strongly, even though it is water(its closed loop).

i just bought the i5 2500k and for the heat sink to overclock i got a Thermaltake Frio OCK cooler, for FPS you want something to take care of spikes in cpu usage so heat sinks are better for the spikes in usage and heat, water cooling is more ambient and runs at a constant temp so you have to take both of those into account. for both options your looking at around 80 bucks for a good one to do the job and both will need you to take out the mobo and install it, the heat sink i have is huge and i had to take a heat sink off some ram to make it fit so actually opening your case and seeing what you have to work with space wise is highly advisable before ordering or driving somewhere and buying your part only to have it not fix and be angry.

Guest TwistedKa0s
If It Was Me I Would Get The COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 Or XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Or The ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Limited Edition.........But Thats Just me.... But That Cooler Master V-8 And V-6 Is Nice As They Come.....

Guest redpanda
Are you using the stock cooler and want to OC the CPU? Just get a hyper 212+.

+1 with the Hyper 212+. It's what I use to OC my i7s in my rigs and use Artic5 or OCZ Freeze for thermal paste, the one it comes with is just shoddy.

• 1 month later...
Guest TeKNoTroNiK
I loooooooooooooooove my XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 and have built multiple rigs with it. In a room that is 70 degrees (F) the warmest processor on my overclocked Q6600 (2.4 ghz > 3.0 ghz) is 78 degrees (F). Great price makes me constantly go back to this heatsink fan

Guest RET.MCPO.MasterOfPuppets=US=
Are you using the stock cooler and want to OC the CPU? Just get a hyper 212+.

+1 on the 212. It's one of the better heatsinks and wont break the bank.

Am I dumb or do 3 out of 4 cases have a special hole for cpu bracket mounting?

Yes, but installing the rest of it can be a real pain without removing the motherboard. Especially with a mid tower.

+

1 with the Hyper 212+. It's what I use to OC my i7s in my rigs and use Artic5 or OCZ Freeze for thermal paste, the one it comes with is just shoddy.

Arctic Silver is another good brand. The temperatures you get with the coolermaster thermal paste are nothing amazing. I didn't care because the build wasn't for me and the CPU wasn't even overclocked. Making the heatsinck a waste of money but whatever.

Guest Doubleome

Is your I5 2500k overheating ? is that at stock ?

I have been told the Hyper 212+ is a really nice cheap cooler.

Using Antec 620 on my i5 2500k myself. Stock I cant get it above 49C and thats with the stock fan on minimum.

Archived