Internet Censorship

Guest BigMac530

Guest Harkster
Basically they have been lobbied to take on a vague bill that has such a wide scope that it can kill youtube and potentially facebook. The bill aims and haulting all viewing of copyrighted material both foreign and domestic. They are trying to stop foreign sites from streaming videos, songs, and also pirated games ect. If it passes than we will have to use proxys to avoid these blocks. Honestly I hope it doesn't as it will be a huge blow to the people for it means no more videos of games or Music videos of concerts and the like without approval from the owners. I figure most games will put it in their elua that you can use it anyway since these videos are what drive their success. Music on the other hand will be crushed as the owning company is greedy and would rather starve the artist than loose a buck.

Guest miyamotogL

That is pretty much the jist of it. It also has wider implications for technology innovation, start-ups etc. It could prevent the next youtube or facebook from ever happening. A lot of good information is available on EFF going back for months (PROTECTIP was introduced in the Senate quite a while ago).

Lobbyists on behalf of the RIAA, MPAA, and other content producing companies are pressuring Congress to pass legislation which will allow the content producing companies to take down websites without due process. Not only take down the website, but their payment processing, advertising, and search results; all without having to prove guilt (or damages) in a court of law. No due process, just a complaint and POOF ... blacklist. This is BAD, BAD, BAD, and once and for all BAD.

Just about everyone outside of those big content companies, at least those that are not completely ignorant of the risks involved, are against these two bills.

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=
I wonder if we will still be in the Age of Information, if this bill passes or will we be in the Age of Controlled-Information

Guest RET.WO1.Pieman=US=

People will only even notice if congress does something stupid, like ban youtube. Then there would be riots.

Now, I'm all against this passing, but considering I didn't even know about it until the day it was being voted on, I don't think many other people knew either.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

I've signed about 5 different petitions against this. It is a shame more people didn't get informed about this. You can't always rely on main stream media for what is going on, especially since they would be heavily affected by something such as this.

It is becoming more and more clear that I won't be still living in the US in the coming decades: poor education, lack of scientific funding, slow to adapt newer technologies, and less and less concerns for the citizens and more for the interests of lobbiest's and cooperation's.

EDIT: Relevant example

http://i.imgur.com/MlNTD.jpg

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, AOL, eBay and many other big internet companies are trying to keep the bill from becoming law. These guys also have big lobbyist in Washington, especially Google.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sopa-stop-internet-piracy-act-internet-censorship-google-twitter-facebook-article-1.979020

Guest Darkveg
Even more scary fact is that the copyright holders see any of their stuff up on a site that is unapproved, then the US government can ban that site for good. Similar to the Digital millennium act which already passed where a copyright holder can make the site take DOWN its material if its up without permission. Basically Internet freedom as we know it will be controlled highly, and its a payed service. Its just like they wanted to pass a bill to censor cable. I am paying for this service and if they censor it I want a giant discount.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

^^^ Great video

Greed is getting in the way. People are getting too lazy to innovate and try and take everything to the courtroom instead of re-thinking their infrastructure.

Guest miyamotogL
People will only even notice if congress does something stupid, like ban youtube. Then there would be riots.

Now, I'm all against this passing, but considering I didn't even know about it until the day it was being voted on, I don't think many other people knew either.

Yesterday was only a testimony hearing for the House Judiciary Committee; it has not been put to a formal vote, yet.

I check EFF daily and they post information on issues like these soon after the bills are introduced.

Guest RET.Maj.Skyler=US=
Internet can't be limited, censored, or taxed. Computer geeks/nerds and everyone else won't allow it. If anything passed to do anything to the internet all hackers in the world will revolt and there will be no internet. All i got to say about the internet.

Guest BroadBeans
I've written my Congresswoman about my concerns regarding SOPA as well as signing a number of petitions. Still feels like I need to create a Super PAC in order to be effective as a citizen. I'll flee the country the closer we get to becoming a fascist state. No oversight or due process? Do not want.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

It's funny, this exact same thing happened in Australia a few months ago. My ISP was one of the first to take trials in the program, and after running the filter for 3 months on a test server they found that it resulted in a 22% drop in overall internet speed. My ISP was also the first to back out of the program and condemn it :D.

Unfortunately, the internet in the eyes of most politicians is a dark place that they do not understand. That's also the case because none of those politicians really grew up with the internet and do not understand its significance in the modern world. What good has come out of the internet far exceeds the bad, but it is human nature to want to take notice of the bad(news reports anyone?).

Filtering is not the answer, and when you ban something, there will always be a black market formed. And unfortunately, an internet black market would be huge, and nearly impossible to stop. I predict we will see more groups like anonymous forming, and the start reality is the more the government suppresses, the more the people will fight. And i hate to say this, but the world needs another war to wake itself up because over the years, great change has only really accompanied itself with war.

Guest XeromabinX

This is why I refuse to buy movies and music. The entertainment industry is a bunch of outdated greedy morons. Not only would this be a detriment on the tech industry and both existing and new online companies, it wouldn't even stop piracy. This older generation that represents a majority of our House and Senate as well as the lobbyists themselves don't understand that the internet cannot be effectively censored. It isn't the same medium as television or radio where you can shut down one source and its done. Foreign "rogue" websites would still be up and running and it would be our domestic websites that would be shut down or diminished. Even though China, Iran and Russia all have a similar DNS blocking system in place, for drastically different reasons, there are people in these countries who can still access "banned" websites. The only thing this would do is stop more casual content pirates, but people who really want to pirate content will still be able to through proxy's and other means.

The bottom line though is that the government in the US is getting too big and seems to think they have to regulate everything in our daily lives.

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

I enjoyed watching this video on youtube, It really helps gets the point across to people who have no idea what this bill is going to do.

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

Sign up and help Senator Wyden fight against this new censorship bill that will be voted on in the next few weeks.

http://www.stopcensorship.org/

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/244622/senator_threatens_filibuster_of_protect_ip_act_as_vote_nears.html

For all our younger members and members who don't care, please do not take this bill lightly. This bill will end youtube, facebook and google in a blink of an eye.

Archived