Build advice?

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

So this is what I am looking at currently, any advice would be helpful....is this all compatible? Would there be better options?

I looked at the previous builds that people helped me with, and some of the parts were out of stock or priced different (which is why I could not go with it). Again, thoughts? Any help/advice would be great....I am just guessing here.

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

Model #:400R

Item #:N82E16811139008

Return Policy:Standard Return Policy

In Stock

Mail in Rebate Card

$99.99 $99.99

ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Model #:P8P67 LE (REV 3.0)

Item #:N82E16813131706

In Stock

$139.99 -$10.00 Instant $129.99

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Model #:100315L

Item #:N82E16814102908

Return Policy:VGA Standard Return Policy

In Stock

Mail in Rebate Card

$149.99 -$10.00 Instant $139.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...

Model #:CMPSU-650TXV2

Item #:N82E16817139020

In Stock

Mail in Rebate Card

$119.99 -$25.00 Instant $94.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Model #:BX80623I52500K

Item #:N82E16819115072

Return Policy:CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

In Stock

$219.99 -$5.00 Instant $214.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Model #:CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Item #:N82E16820145345

Return Policy:Memory Standard Return Policy

In Stock

$59.99 -$10.00 Instant $49.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Model #:WD1002FAEX

Item #:N82E16822136533

In Stock

$139.99 $139.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Model #:GFC-02050

Item #:N82E16832116986

Return Policy:Software Standard Return Policy

In Stock

$99.99 $99.99

Arctic Silver MTX-2.5G Matrix Thixotropic Premium Thermal Compound

Model #:MTX-2.5G

Item #:N82E16835100016

Out Of Stock

LOGISYS Computer IC221PWM 92mm Hydro Theta 21 PWM Intel LGA 1156 CPU Cooling

Model #:IC221PWM

Item #:N82E16835999018

In Stock

$15.99 $15.99

Guest IntoFruit

For what its worth general, I severely overestimated the power needed to run this game. My computer with an AMD x2 2.7ghz dual core, 8 gigs of ram, and a 460 graphics card running on 64 bit windows 7 cranks bf3 on high settings no problem.

As well, for the money, I would go with an AMD Phenom x4 3.5 ghz quad core.... yes it may not benchmark quite as well as the i5, but it can get the job done for 139 USD. As well, when the time comes for an upgrade, AMD is very accommodating to not creating a new pin socket (therefore motherboard) required for each new cpu chip. (For instance, I can replace my dual core with a phenom x6 at any point in time without a new motherboard) . Im no expert, but this is a bit of what I have concluded based upon my search. Have a good evening Sir!

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

My Advice:

-Do not act cheap with any computer hardware because your computer will go run as fast as it's slowest hardware.

ADMIN REMOVED: No matter what your bias towards Microsoft what you are talking about is illegal and will not be tolerated.

-When building a computer always look at the resolution that you are planning to play your games on. Higher resolutions require more powerful hardware. For example, if you plan to play on 1920x1080 with Ultra settings on BF3. Be prepared to buy at least two GTX 590. I seen reviews that the card can only run 30 - 40 fps.

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
My Advice:

-You can get a crack version of Windows 7 64bit for free. Do not feel bad because Microsoft owns a monopoly in computer operating systems and sued for abusing their market power back in 2004 (not quite so sure about that date but it was around 2004).

Sir, you are very close if not crossing the line in regards to =US= Regulations:

=US=30-20

The discussion of illegal or pirated material anywhere on the forums is strictly prohibited. The terms of service agreed upon with the website host state that any discussion of said materials is a clear violation of the agreement made and could lead to temporary or permanent loss of the website and domain. This includes the topics of illegal warez, software/video/audio piracy, website passwords, and torrenting. We do understand that not all torrents are illegal, as well as P2P downloading and file hosting services - please use your common sense.

Your are suggesting someone use illegally obtained software.

Crack - A software crack is an illegally obtained but working version of the software, which circumvents the software's copyright protection. Software cracking refers to the modification of software in order to remove encoded copy prevention. Distribution of cracked software is generally an illegal act of copyright infringement.

Please refrain from such suggestions on this forum.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=
Anything else? Should I up my vid card/go for 2 vid cards? Do I have enough power or should I get a larger power source?

Guest BigMac530
Anything else? Should I up my vid card/go for 2 vid cards? Do I have enough power or should I get a larger power source?

The question is, does BF3 take significant advantage of Dual graphics?

Guest BroadBeans

General, if I might make a suggestion. If you are willing to spend a bit more on your mobo, you should get the ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. It is the same price as the one you mentioned on Newegg. The build quality is excellent, it has great debug features, it OC's very easily and it will support Ivy Bridge processors and PCI-e 3.0 graphics cards when they come out next year. This will give you a mobo that will support the latest and greatest down the road. It also supports a triple crossfire/SLI setup or if you do a double plus a card for running physx.

The 2500k is available at Microcenter for $179.99. If you don't live near one for pickup, go to NCIX.com and price match it using the microcenter price on their website.

Top notch CPU cooling will be the Cooler Master Hyper 212. There is a newer version for about $10 more. I've overclocked my 2500k to 4 GHZ and it runs at a cool 40C running BF3 on all high settings.

Also, if you want a cheaper HDD, try and get the Samsung F3 spinpoint drives. Good build quality, but they're no longer $50. I run it as a storage drive with a solid state to boot my OS.

Guest kylecampbell
I can argue that, I have a 25" samsung 1920x1080 and my single 570GTX runs it great, I have more problems with server lag than I do with fps.

Guest kylecampbell
I would recommend a stronger power supply, the i5 would run fine on that, but that graphics card is going to need some serious wattage for that radeon. also I would recommend that you stick with the propriety design of AMD/ATI or Intel/nVidia, as they are actually designed for one another. Especially now that AMD is ATI's parent company.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

I am ready to buy!!! WOOOO!!!! So this is what I got, thoughts? I still need a power supply, any suggestions? How much power?

Also, suggestions for a vid card?

Also, if someone can check if these are all compatable....I don't trust myself haha

any final suggestions? Before I place the order thank you to Broadbeans and kylecampbell for the suggestions, I took them to heart. Anything else? Am I missing anything besides power and vid card?

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Model #:P67 EXTREME4 GEN3

Item #:N82E16813157265

In Stock

$154.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R HE103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Model #:HE103SJ

Item #:N82E16822152238

In Stock

$109.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

Model #:RR-B10-212P-G1

Item #:N82E16835103065

In Stock

$25.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Model #:CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Item #:N82E16820145345

Return Policy:Memory Standard Return Policy

In Stock

$49.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Model #:BX80623I52500K

Item #:N82E16819115072

Return Policy:CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

In Stock

$179.99

Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

Model #:400R

Item #:N82E16811139008

In Stock

Mail in Rebate Card

$99.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

Model #:GFC-02050

Item #:N82E16832116986

Return Policy:Software Standard Return Policy

In Stock

$99.99

Guest RET.MCPO.MasterOfPuppets=US=

I'd go with THIS for a heat sink. 10$ more then the one you posted (going by newegg.ca prices in CAD).

Video cards really up to you as much as your willing to spend. 6850 is passable, probably what I'm going to get since I don't have that much money for an upgrade (playing on a core 2 duo, gts 250 and 4gb ram). If you're willing to spend 200+ on a GPU there are some decently priced 6950s out there roughly 220$ (again CAD).

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

not too late, have not purchased yet, wanted more advice before I did :)

If I am not going to overclock, do I need something more/a heatsink at all?

not too late, have not purchased yet, wanted more advice before I did :)

If I am not going to overclock, do I need something more/a heatsink at all?

Didn't fully read your post, edited mine. Why not over clock your i5 though, can easily get to 4.1 or .2 with no problems.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

does it make that much of a difference? (I honestly have no idea)

What about Nvidia cards? Kyle said it's better to go with Nvidia since I have an intel CPU, again thoughts?

There would be a difference but I'm pretty sure the 3.4 or whatever the 2500k comes at will be more then enough.

As for the graphics cards, I don't know that much about the new nvidea cards since I've only really been looking at ATI. However an ATI card will work just as well with an Intel build as it would with nvidea. The problem most people have with ATI is that they don't update their drivers as often as nvidea does.

Guest BroadBeans

Some ATI cards are less power efficient in an Intel CPU/Mobo setup. ATI cards are after all, designed with AMD in mind as they're the same company. I wouldn't be worried if you have efficient cooling as the increased power consumption generally means more heat buildup. As for a power supply, you have two tiers for building. You have the more economical choice, which is just a box with a bunch of wires sprouting out, or you have modular PSUs which allow you to plug and unplug whatever cords you require for your case and parts. I'd only get the modular ones if you happen to have a smaller mid tower, a big enthusiast or wire management drives you crazy. They generally run for more than $200. However, don't buy a cheap generic brand PSU, your frugality will punish your sanity and your wallet. For someone who learned through experimentation... Cheap PSUs: NEVER AGAIN.

As for how much power you need, I'll quote Tator from Overclock.net: "Most *high end single GPU systems will only need a 500-550w unit. Most *high end dual GPU systems will need a 750-850w unit. Most *High End Triple & Quad GPU setups will be in the 1000-1500w category. " So you don't need more than 850W unless you plan to triple card your rig. Also, look for a 80+ quality PSU, to reduce the likelihood of tearing one's hair out. I recommend brands such as Corsair, Seasonic, Coolermaster, XFX, Antec and Silverstone. There might be others I haven't mentioned that are very good and sometimes even the quality companies have duds. Caveat Emptor.

Overclocking will give you better performance. I'm not sure how noticeable this would be. The hyper 212 I recommended will easily accommodate up to 4.2 GHZ when you overclock your 2500k. If you want to overclock your GPU and RAM on top of your CPU, I'd recommend more cooling and a good guide to help with that. Otherwise, just overclocking your CPU shouldn't be too much of a problem and you'll gain greater potential out of your hardware.

Picking out a card can be tricky. Not only do you have a chipset to pick, you have different manufacturers of the same type of card. Then you must balance the card between cost and performance. However, you don't need a $300 flagship card unless one has a multi-monitor setup. Benchmarks are unimportant if your monitor can't handle the resolutions used to test the benchmarks. One primarily needs a more powerful card for larger resolutions. If you're fine playing in 1440x900, you don't need to spend exorbitant amounts of money, unless you want to brag. My preferred GPU card manufacturer is EVGA or Asus. I hear MSI, GIGABYTE and Sapphire are pretty decent as well. Read customer feedback reviews and look for cues regarding cooling, customer support and warranties. Nvidia does indeed update their drivers more often. ATI cards in general have a slight edge over Nvidia cards currently. I suggest browsing Tom's Hardware for recommendations on videocards within price brackets. Click here.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

thank you beans! Any one else with any advice/suggestions (even if it contradicts others).

I AM PURCHASING LATE TONIGHT/TOMORROW so please any last minute advice?

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
Sir, just go with it. It will be outdated before your credit card is charged, however it will be miles ahead of what I play on. Good luck on your build.

Sir, just go with it. It will be outdated before your credit card is charged, however it will be miles ahead of what I play on. Good luck on your build.

Sounds about right.

Sounds about right.

Archived