Could use some help

Guest PainKiller

Guest PainKiller

Hello everyone, I have ordered my new processor (Phenom ii X4 970) and I am pretty stoked, the only problem is that I have no clue how to uh... plug it in and stuff, I know I need something like thermal paste? but other then that I don't know what I am doing, So my question is if someone would be willing to post a step by step thing or possibly get on skype and talk me through it.

(BTW should be here around Tuesday or so)

I would greatly appreciate this guys =)

LCpl.PainKiller

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

Just put it in, make sure it fits in perfectly. It should fall in perfectly, if you have the right processor.

1.Unplug your computer.

2.Ground yourself by touching a metal.

3.Unplug all wires connected to the fan on top of the current processor.

4.Remove the fan.

5.Remove the processor and if you have something holding the processor in place, remove that first.

6.Put in the new processor. Make sure all the pins on the bottom of the processor a line perfectly with the holes in the motherboard.

7. Once the processor is in, follow the directions on your thermal paste. You don't really need it but it helps.

8.Place the fan on top of the new processors make sure everything is secure and plug in the wires from the fan.

9.Plug in your computer and you're done. Just turn on your computer and make sure everything works.

Also one thing!!!!!!!!!! When putting in the processor you NOT have to use ANY force. you can literally drop it right in when the pins are lined up. Those pins are very delicate.

Guest RET.CW2.POLLVX=US=

What miracles the internet holds!

I bent a pin on old AMD K6 processor and had to solder it back on. If you want to stay away from pins, get an Intel.

Guest corriz
Also one thing!!!!!!!!!! When putting in the processor you NOT have to use ANY force. you can literally drop it right in when the pins are lined up. Those pins are very delicate.

True, because the old paste on procesor can be like as glue, but not force, be patient.

Pasta is already applied to the new fan, if you use the old one. Just applied thin layer (1mm) but never mind if it will be more. If something happed with the pins (not broken)you can carefully straight them. Do not worry it's alright.

Guest PainKiller
this just got really scary lol do you think I need to buy that thermal paste? or is it already on the processor? and how would I tell if it is or not O.o

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

Pasta is usually already applied to the new fan, if you use the old one.

hahahaha oh corriz you just made my morning, that made me laugh so bad haha. Only the italian ones have pasta applied i think ;)

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

http://green-change.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/hand-cranked-pasta-maker.jpg

This is how they make their thermal pad's. Apparently their heat transfer is much better than arctic silver :D.

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
http://green-change.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/hand-cranked-pasta-maker.jpg

This is how they make their thermal pad's. Apparently their heat transfer is much better than arctic silver :D.

"That there is funny, I don't care who you are." said Ski the gaming guy.

Guest RET.CW2.POLLVX=US=
this just got really scary lol do you think I need to buy that thermal paste? or is it already on the processor? and how would I tell if it is or not O.o

Did you just buy a processor or did you get one with a fan? The heatsink usually comes with a grey square of thermal paste applied. If you did not buy it with a retail heatsink, I would recommend the pasta.

Oh god,... :+) sorry for that. For some sentence i use the google and in czech is pasta and pasta two different words. But it is only one letter :roll: btw I like pasta.

Ok, the thermal "thing" is not on processor. Is applied on box fan (retail heatsink). So if you use some different no-retail fan or only processor, you have 2 ways:

1. buy the thermal thing

2. scrape it out from the box fan and apply it to the new processor

It extends the life and heat conductivity.

Guest PainKiller
Did you just buy a processor or did you get one with a fan? The heatsink usually comes with a grey square of thermal paste applied. If you did not buy it with a retail heatsink, I would recommend the pasta.

It said it comes with heatsink and fan

Guest RET.CW2.POLLVX=US=
It said it comes with heatsink and fan

You should be good then. Every retail processor and fan/heatsink comes with a small square of paste applied.

Archived