MSI GTX 460 Fermi HAWK SLI or PowerColor AX6870 Crossfire

Guest SudzMcDuff

Guest SudzMcDuff

Hey guys,

Updating my GPU configuration and looking for the best bang for my buck. I'm a computer networking graduate but haven't really been paying attention to the graphics card market and never dabbled in running multiple GPUs. I've done extensive research on this subject and cannot find an actual comparison of these two cards ( or even similar cards ). Most reviews have compared a reference GTX 460 vs. the stock 6870, but i have not been able to find a solid ( non-biased ) review comparing SLI factory OC'd 460s against crossfired 6870s.

I can get the MSI GTX 460 Fermi HAWKs for $135 CDN a piece after rebates, and can get the PowerColor AX6870 for $140 CDN a piece. Which are going to perform better. As i've read, i could get the 460s to overclock very nicely and would see a decent performance gain. I've read that the 6870s do not gain nearly as much during OCing and also the cooling system on the 6870s are not as good as the 460 Fermi Hawks.

You're help would be appreciated, and the faster the better. I would like to order them by tomorrow. Also, please state facts. I have read enough garbage from Nvidia and ATI fanboys. Need an honest, unbiased answer based on the facts.

Thanks guys.

Guest SudzMcDuff
Looks like those charts are showing that the 6870 crossfire is the better choice. but this is compared against a stock clock 460. 6870 stock is about 900mHz core clock, overclockable to roughly 1050 stable on air. GTX 460 is 675mHz core clock, overclockableto roughly 950 - 975mHz stable on air. Are the overclocked perfomance gains on the 460 going to bridge that gap to make the two roughly equal? If so i would much rather get the 460s because of the cooler on the hawk edition

Guest redpanda
I say get the crossfire provided by AMD, because eye infinity is what you wanna get, provided that Nvidia has something similar, but it's a bit buggy at the moment and AMD has better tech for it. Again this is just pure opinion and I'm a Nvidia fan boy, but when it comes to dual cards.... AMD is where you wanna go. If you went single then Nvidia.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Nvidia drivers are almost always much more stable and reliable than ATI drivers. IMO nvidia is worth it since it works with less hassle and Nvidia is good about getting with game devs to make sure they have optimized drivers for new games.

ATI cards are much better at mining bitcoins. But mining is past the point where it's economically viable. So I wouldn't recommend it.

Archived