560Ti untill GTX 6xx?

Guest Doubleome

Guest Doubleome

Hey guys,

Found some interesting info about the upcomming 28nm GPUs from AMD and Nvidia. The approx 380 USD AMD GPU will outpreform the current 6970 by 100% and be slightly better than SLI 6970. Imo this looks like 28nm is a big deal cant even wait to see how insane the Nvidia GPUs will preform.

Here is my problem I was gonna get the GTX 580, but what I can tell is that the 28nm will smoke the current 40nm.

Even bigger problem is that the Nvidia 28nm will release Q1-Q2 2012 and AMD will be October to December which in case of Nvidia will be well after BF3 release.

So here is what I was thinking get a cheaper GTX 560Ti to last BF3 for a few months and then try and sell it and get a brand new 28nm ? I like making smart choices when it comes to building a PC, for one I would never have bought a GTX 400 series cuz it was seriously flawed and expensive + I like my PC to last atleast 3 years. My current E8500 and GTX 280 are still holding strong. Also if AMD 28nm will gain 100% over the 6970 im hoping Nvidia will do the same, making buying a GTX 580 now + cheaper SLI in the future bit pointless.

So would you think getting GTX 560Ti untill GTX 6xx comes out a smart choice ?

Note cheapest GTX 560Ti I can get at the store I usually buy is 200 euro and thats the Twin Frozr II.

What do you guys think ? or what would you do in this situation.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

Up to you, you can always wait for the next big thing. Personally I would just go with the 580x now, cause it will still last you long enough, and then upgrade later. Otherwise next year you might want to wait for the 7xx which is on a brand new pcie 3.0 or something... just an example.

Unless you care primarily about bench scores, that 100% or w/e improvement will not be that evident now. Also, you will be payin a **** ton more for that GTX 6xx, I don't expect it to be less than $500.

Guest Doubleome

Well both 6xx and 7xx will be 28nm if im right so 7xx wouldnt be such a big deal. But 40nm to 28nm should be a big deal. PCI 3.0 is already out though current cards prolly dont get the full benefit but its out there.

Btw I dont give anything about bench. Also my screen is 120hz and I have 3d glasses so the higher the FPS I could get in BF3 the better without having to spend more then 1800-1900 USD

And ofc ill wait untill BF3 rig tests to see what I would be looking at. If I find out GTX 580 can give me enough FPS ill definetly get it, dont forget current cards still struggle with games like Metro 2033 etc

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
Well both 6xx and 7xx will be 28nm if im right so 7xx wouldnt be such a big deal. But 40nm to 28nm should be a big deal. PCI 3.0 is already out though current cards prolly dont get the full benefit but its out there.

Btw I dont give anything about bench. Also my screen is 120hz and I have 3d glasses so the higher the FPS I could get in BF3 the better without having to spend more then 1800-1900 USD

And ofc ill wait untill BF3 rig tests to see what I would be looking at. If I find out GTX 580 can give me enough FPS ill definetly get it, dont forget current cards still struggle with games like Metro 2033 etc

Well metro 2033 also has a very terrible settings menu. BF3 played fine on my 6950, avging 70-80 during alpha. I'm guessing they will optimize it better by the time retail comes out, so I'm pretty sure a 580 will do fine. Plus 580 was their demo rig during e3. Unfortunately a lot of nv had issues during alpha, so hopefully the fix that before beta.

Guest Doubleome
That's the thing with PC gaming, there will always be something better if you just wait a bit.

But sometimes its worth the wait, the current chip is at the end of its road

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
But sometimes its worth the wait, the current chip is at the end of its road

The thing is double, just look at how much more th GTX590 is than the 580, around £500. You're gonna be paying about that for a 600 series. If you get a gtx580 now, after the 600 series comes out think how much less it would be to get a second one in SLI??

Guest RET.WO1.Pieman=US=
I have the 560Ti, and I didn't notice any frame-rate issues at all when playing the alpha. I think the 580 will be all you need to max out BF3.

Guest Doubleome
The thing is double, just look at how much more th GTX590 is than the 580, around £500. You're gonna be paying about that for a 600 series. If you get a gtx580 now, after the 600 series comes out think how much less it would be to get a second one in SLI??

I get that, ofc I have to know more about 6xx before I can make a decision. But if its truly 3-4x more preformance per watt it might just be worth the wait. That would mean a single 6xx would smoke 580 sli. Just gotta wait on prices and first benchmarks which I hope show up before BF3.

Well the price of one of those cards is gonna be 2/3 of the whole system at least! Of course the benchmarks are gonna be amazing, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Just think, they played bf3 at E3 on a single GTX580 with an i7 and however much ram, it looked epic and ran fine. There is only so much much you can get out of it. And yes, things like crysis and crysis 2 can only get better.

I'm just trying to get you to save some money haha, you dont want your current pc when bf3 comes out which im sure will be way before any more info about the 6xx series appears. 6xx is set for Q4 2011, which minimum is around when bf3 comes out, more likely november or december.

Guest Doubleome

We wont know what the prices will be maybe there will be cards cheaper then 580 its new technology, just like Sandy Bridge crazy preformance for low cost.

Im not afraid 580 will run BF3 np, but when BF3 hits 580 is one year old. Games will start comming and are already comming which cant be maxed out by 580.

And 6xx is released Q1-Q2 2012.

I guess i guess, but with the system i have in mind im going to have a lot of room for easy expansion, upgrading to an i7-2600 if necessary and adding another 580 if necessary.

I'm sure the rig you came up with will be just the same. And if it's q1-q2 2012 you may as well get a 580 and sell it before the 600 releases.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

remember how nvidia screwed everyone who bought 4xx? this is why i prefer to stay one step below when it comes to vid cards. the #1 most expensive component, yet the #1 quickest to become obsolete, go figure. Depreciation is worse than a car.

the thing is, if you wait till the 6xx, then BF3 will also be an older game.

anyway, it sounds like you already made your decision to wait... from your responses.

Guest Doubleome

Im waiting till BF3 release but not going into BF3 without a proper rig. Btw yes they failed at 4xx release but the reason Kepler is not released 2011 is cuz they wont let that happen again. 3-4x preformance seems very tempting to wait. Also AMD will release their 28nm around BF3 which will allow us to see how the preformance would be + would I guess help Nvidia with preventing another 4xx.

How I see it in the end is, buy 580 now + one in the future to stay ahead. But maybe if the preformance is as they say it is 6xx would prolly be the cheaper and a longer lasting option.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

Yeah, but honestly, I think longer lasting is a thing of the past. Even if the 6xx blows everything away, it's not gonna last longer than 1-2 years for high end games.

Developers are always pushing the limit and as soon as new tech comes out something is right around the corner.

Plus if and when lightpeak becomes mainstream, that will also make performance go through the roof.

Moore's law, pretty soon we're gonna see gpu last 6 months before upgrade lol

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

I wouldn't bother trying to stay ahead, in fact its probably better to sit in third or second the entire race :D. Getting the "New" and most powerful hardware requires more cost per gain than buying the second best hardware which is usually substantially cheaper. There is often little difference between first and second, usually around 200mhz here and there and a few extra ports/better cooling. Over time your best bet is buying second best components more often than buying the most expensive components and trying to make them last longer.

Light peak is just a new interface that can potentially take advantage of photonics and the new light chips that are coming out but it will be a while before that becomes an "early" adopter thing let alone mainstream(photonic chips that is).

Guest Doubleome
I get all that but im wondering this in the case 28nm 7xxx and 6xx really do bump up the power insanly much. Since no1 can really tell yet I think its kinda pointless.

Archived