BF3 rig pretty much finalized

Guest Doubleome

Guest Doubleome

Hey guys,

Took me a few months but I think I have settled on this hardware.

Case: Fractal Design R3

CPU: i5 2500k

CPU Cooler: Antec H2O 620 prefilled watercooled set

Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD65 (B3) (for possible SLI in the future)

Ram: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit CL9-9-9-24 PC3 12800

GPU: MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II/OC

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850Watt (again for possible SLI in the future)

HDD: Samsung HD103SJ 1.000 GB, 8,9 / 32 / 7200

SSD: OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-120G 120 GB, 525 / 500 MB/s (not 100% sure)

This comes down to about 1300 euro for me, which is 1850 USD.

Im hoping with the arrival of Bulldozer and possible new Intel series the prices should drop slightly. Heard rumors Intel is postponing their release to Q1 2012 instead of Q4 2011.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

Solid build. Too bad building over there costs so much more. I think you can do that build for under $1500 USD here. But anyway, the only downside to your build is the MSI board. They have had issues in the past, and maybe they are better now, but they definitely go for shortcuts in their builds. I would never buy an MSI, based on what I've read.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/943109-about-vrms-mosfets-motherboard-safety-125w.html

Granted most were with the AMD's but in general you can see the track record for MSI. I am interested to see how bulldozer does tho. Early reports blow SB out of the water. We'll have to see if it's true.

Guest Doubleome
Well from what I have been able to gather considering 1155 its Asus>MSI>Gigabyte. Personally dont know a thing about Gigabyte. The main reason I went for the MSI one is that for the same specced/priced board as the Asus one I get PS/2 connector in the back for my keyboard. Have the SteelSeries 6GV2 which gets no keypress limit when using PS/2.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

Skyler: 8150p + 6970 (or 6950) x2. Dual vid card is a waste, but if that's what you want, this is what you should go. Or 570/580 x2.

Gigabyte is a solid brand. I'd put them up higher than MSI.

Guest Doubleome

Really if I look at stuff about Bulldozer vs Sandy bridge it just seems people are completly blind.

- Bulldozer is from AMDs FX series which basicly means it should be compared to Intel extreme 1366 and upcomming 2011, which in that case will be worse then intel.

- Bulldozer doesnt have a build in GPU so again cant be compared to the current 1155 Sandy bridge.

- If you compare the A8 with 2500k its not even close as good as the 2500k, both of these are CPU+GPUs.

Basicly what im saying is, people are comparing apples and oranges (think this applies here). Bulldozer is FX extreme series so should be compared to the Intel extreme series. Sandy bridge 1155 should be compared to AMDs CPUs+GPUs.

But what it all comes down to, if you compare each chip apple vs apple orange vs orange AMD loses about the same amount of performance over Intel but also cost about the same amount less. Exept the extreme extreme CPUs from Intel, but hey

having the best chip in the world cant be cheap price/preformance isnt liniear. So in the end im not saying AMD is bad, AMD just fills up the space for people who cant afford a Intel or fanboy AMD.

PS: Found a promotion video of AMD doing those CPU+GPU comparisson with Intel in notebooks. They were showcasing that the AMD one could do excel+movie+video game+3d Rendering at the same time. And I was like LOL first of all someone buying a notebook without dedicated graphics isnt going to do all those 4 things at the same time. In fact no1 is ever going to do all those 4 things at the same time. This kinda made me lose respect for AMD.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

I don't see how you can decide what people are allowed to compare.

We are talkin gaming here, and it's more about price per performance. Same reason you're getting a 2500k instead of a 2600k. Why not get the 2600k for better performance? Because the gains you get for the price are not worth it. It's the same **** with Intel extremes. In fact, SB beats extremes in a lot of tests. Next gen will be great I'm sure, but if someone is spending more than 1k on a chip for gaming, it's a big lol. Same thing as buying dual cards off the bat in this day and age.

It's really not apples and oranges, because so much of computer purchases are driven by price. PRICE is the common factor, not whether a chip is labeled as extreme, or how many cores. PERFORMANCE is next. The price point of the bd's will be right alongside the SB. Why would I compare a BD to a Intel extreme? That would never be a real life viable scenario.

SB gpu?? From a gaming perspective, it doesn't mean squat. Not sure why you even bring this up.

Why would you even try to compare an A8 with a 2500k? I mean just cause they have gpu's doesn't put them in the same class. A8's are like the casual person who doesn't need to be bothered even with a $30 discrete. SB is a freakin enthusiast's dream. Bad comparo. A8 maybe comparable to an i3.

I actually don't mind Intel (although you seem to be an AMD hater). I just believe that AMD gives way better value at this time. That's all it comes down to. Intel finally took a page out of AMD's book when they started offering the 2500k for sub $200 prices. Price per performance, 2500k is king right now. However, the one thing that does **** me off about Intel is their constant change in arch. How many chipsets have we seen since 775? AMD is closing the gap though.

But check this out, if Intel's next gen extreme chips are in a normal price range, and blow bd's out of the water, then we can talk more. But keep in mind, you gotta upgrade ur mobo again. lol.

Guest Doubleome

Wow didnt expect such an attack, sorry if my lack of the English language made you think so. Wasnt trying to attack anyone, or tell people whats right or wrong I just dont understand people when it comes to AMD vs Intel.

And yes I do think you should compare SB with the FM1. And the BD with SBE. BD is next gen extreme AMD chips why compare it to generation of Intel chips that arent even aimed at extreme performance ? so thats why people should compare them with extreme edition Intel chips.

The thing I hate is that it seems AMD fanboys attack the SB chips with BD, prolly BD will outpreform it but thats irrelavent cuz if you would take out the dedicated GPU in the AMD rig it wouldnt even boot. I do agree Intel chips were overpriced in the passed but in the mid range of chips the amount you pay more for Intel you gain in performance. Also 980x has been released over one year ago, SB currently can outpreform them in some occasions for half even thirth the price, so that looks to me that it took AMD over one year to get out a Extreme edition chip for the same price of the SB even though we dont even know the price or performance.

Im prolly not making much sence again, guess what im trying to say is that I cant stand AMD fanboys posting completly irrelavent arguments when it comes to chip vs chip comparisson. Prolly alot of this is trolling.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

No attack meant at you, more of an attack on Intel.

Like I said, I compare it based on price. If next gen Intel is price relevant to BD I will happily compare it. I'm not gonna compare a $300 chip to a $1000 chip though, regardless of "classification."

Plus, AMD is always a step behind so their extreme will probably never really compare to a Intel extreme. But from a consumer point of view, especially a gamer, I don't really care if the intention is extreme or not, I just want best value and price/performance ratio.

I think you shouldn't hate lol because if the BD does out perform SB, then what is wrong with someone saying it? It's the truth, and they aren't making it up. And the GPU thing is really lol man. Tell me one person who uses a SB with no discrete. Plus, you could always get a mobo with a built in gpu :p

You're right, AMD did probably take a longer time. But you're not getting the point. None of this takes away from the fact that AMD BD will probably outperform SB especially when you look at value.

Unfortunately, you are the one who sounds like an Intel fanboi saying things like, oh well it took AMD so long, and oh this is a different classification of chips, and oh there is no gpu.

Here is the bottom line. BD is a chip. SB is a chip. There is a good chance that BD will outperform SB and they are at very similar price points. That's all there is to it. There is no argument on which has a gpu, or which one is classified as "extreme," or which one is newer. Then again, for this to be true, BD has to outperform SB first. We'll know pretty soon I guess.

I guess I'm not understanding the other side of it. Is it wrong to say BD outperforms SB because SB and BD are in different classifications? I think I get what you are saying. Comparing a nice steak to a McDonald's burger. It's not really a fair comparison. But regardless, it's still a fact that a nice steak is better than a McD burger. Now imagine the steak is about the same price as the McD. Win.

Numbers don't lie. Instead of looking at brand names just look at 2 things. Cost and performance. It will be lot simpler.

And yeah, I'm trolling, just havin fun, cause I'm bored at work. :)

Guest Doubleome

I agree with you on this, but people falsely say that AMD BD will blow away SB therefore AMD > Intel. While if you look at the timeline + classification (couldnt find the word earlier:) ) Intel > AMD.

But anyway ye, if you look at it from differnt angles it all changes. As you said as a gamer you should ind look at price/preformance and that means if you cant afford 2500k the next step down the price/preformance is ind AMD else its dual core from Intel.

What I guess I was trying to say earlier is if money isnt an option Intel>AMD.

Guest DrPretender
How do you mean be build cheaper ? differnt stores or ?

Yes I think you can build it cheaper in different store with some different brands or same if you want these ones.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
I agree with you on this, but people falsely say that AMD BD will blow away SB therefore AMD > Intel. While if you look at the timeline + classification (couldnt find the word earlier:) ) Intel > AMD.

But anyway ye, if you look at it from differnt angles it all changes. As you said as a gamer you should ind look at price/preformance and that means if you cant afford 2500k the next step down the price/preformance is ind AMD else its dual core from Intel.

What I guess I was trying to say earlier is if money isnt an option Intel>AMD.

Yeah I agree with you. I think AMD is content with being 2nd best. But the surprising thing to me is, nobody really expected BD to even go toe to toe with SB. And it's supposedly will. So it's gonna be a decent alternative. If it releases around $300, it will be a nice alternative. Personally like I said before, I like AMD because they don't screw you over with different socket designs every year. But, i'm probably gonna stick with my 1090t for at least another year before I upgrade

The best thing is the tomshardware comparisons:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-llano-processor,2989-5.html

Pretty much says it right there. Intel > AMD. Right now 2500k is absolutely the best chip you can buy without overspending and still getting rock solid performance.

Guest Doubleome

I understand the value of AMD alot more know. I just shouldnt get myself worked up on internet posts by trolls.

I understand aswell that not having to change your motherboard everytime has its values but mine currently doesnt support USB 3, Sata III, the GPU from SB and alot more I dont know of. Just like every bit of hardware in your PC motherboards get faster and faster aswell.

Archived