To dedicate or not dedicate, that is the question

Guest MadZooted

Guest MadZooted

Good afternoon fellow soldiers, I am new to the clan and this is my first post other than my application. I have been lurking around the forums and checking out fellow members profiles and noticed we have a ton of computer gurus. Today I want to ask the question about dedicating my second video card to physics. My current build setup is as follows;

ASUS Rampage IV Forumula

Corsair H100

Geforce Gtx 660 2gb

Geforce Gtx 660 2gb

Kingston 120gb SSD

Western Digital 1TB

G Skill Sniper 16gb (4x4Gb)

Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz (LGA 2011)

Rosewill 1000w PSU 80+ gold

Thor V2 Case

Razer Abyssus (Want to replace)

System overclocked using Rog extreme gamers oc profile

So I have the two cards linked via an sli connector. I was originally just running both cards, but a friend of mine recommended that I dedicate one card to Physics. I mostly use the computer for gaming and was wondering what advice any of you could offer me. Thank you

p.s. if any of you could also throw some good gaming mouse recommendations I would gladly appreciate it

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
I wouldn't use a card to dedicate it just to physics calculations. The reason why is that the graphics card will only be used in PhysX calculations and PhysX is actually used in very few games. This will drop your in-game performance by between 70-90% (a rough estimate) because you won't be able to take advantage of SLI scaling anymore. Keep the two cards in SLI, you'll get better performance.

Guest RhinoTech

As for the mouse recommendation RT, I am the owner of a Razer Naga (2010 version) for over 4 years. I just recently replaced it due to tracking issues. If that never happened I probably wouldn't have switched to a different mouse because no mouse that I am currently aware of contains 21 configurable buttons other than the Naga.

While the first thoughts that could cross many a mind is that such a mouse is really only going to be a boon for MMO's, and would probably be a distraction in a FPS game. Perhaps, that is the potential opinion of others. I can only tell you that from my experience, it has actually enhanced my gameplay. I'm going to take the liberty of assuming we all have two hands with 5 digits on each hand, and that we all use the keyboard/mouse combo for FPS. Your keyboard hand controls: entity movement, running, sprinting, interaction, body position, jumping, gadgets, (ie. lots of stuff). How about that mouse hand of yours? Maybe four buttons tops? What's wrong with your mouse hand? Why don't you assign it an equal amount of responsibility? The concept to me is akin to your main question, whether to dedicate or not. And for very much the same reasons the 1stLt stated are the reasons why I love the Naga.

Now I mentioned that I have a new mouse, which is the DeathAdder. There are glaring differences between the two. There are only 7 configurable buttons on the deathadder, and instead of dual laser tracking (in the naga) it has optical tracking. So... why did I choose this mouse when I could have easily gone for the 2014 Naga? Mainly curiosity. Though I have been keeping tabs on razer mice/keyboards since 2010, and it's been common speak that the deathadder is a very popular product with many satisfied users. The tracking is smooth, the grip is comfortable, and did I mention the tracking is smooth? Yeah, it's so good it actually made me worse for a bit until I adjusted the sensitivity levels (because it would be able to pick up the minuscule shaking my hand produced).

If you were to ask me which would I choose, I would have to say the Naga though the deathadder's smooth tracking & comfort grip are mighty appealing. If the Naga used the optical device rather than the PTE lasers I likely would never choose another mouse.

Ultimately, between the two mice I've suggested I recommend the one you feel would suit your play style best.

Guest MadZooted

Hey Cpl, I appreciate the response. I was able to play around a little with the Naga at my cousins house on Christmas and liked it. I will try out the Deathadder at Tiger Direct this week and make a final decision. My current mouse is really giving me some wrist pain if I play for a long period of time, and it's also pretty old.

As for the SLI question, I am still in SLI configuration, while running no applications my temp is a stable 30c, but in game both cards will reach around 54c, then proceed to climb to 60c over time and then stabilize. I bring this up because I feel like I am getting some fps lag, I know its not my connection, it's definitely the video card. Its a small microsecond freeze (usually when I am engaging an enemy) and when looking from side to side quickly I get a laggy motion blur over a smooth transition. Any recommendations ?

Archived