Laptop is being really loud

Guest LeetSpork

Guest LeetSpork

My laptop has been really loud the past couple of days and I don't know what's wrong with it.

It's loud whenever the computer is on and I know it isn't from over-heating.

I have a sound clip if it would help determine the problem.

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=
Go ahead and post it. If the sound is coming from the fan housing then you might have a bearing going on your fan, I'd need that sound clip to make a better guess though.

Guest RhinoTech

The only moving parts in a laptop are the fans and hard drive (unless it's equipped with SSD rather than HDD) [ok, cd drive also moves...]. Judging by sound alone, my opinion is you'll need to replace your hard drive. It's a relatively inexpensive procedure (depending how large the right type of hard drive that you buy) that you can do yourself. The only downside is that hard drive replacement means backing up ALL of your important files, and reinstalling all of your programs. Here is a useful program to collect all of your software keys.

Before moving on my advice, wait for the 2ndLt to offer his opinion or others to offer theirs to get a bigger consensus.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
I am 100% certain that is a fan taking a poop. If it was a hard drive you would be able to hear it reading/writing and you would probably get a BSOD a lot. Bearings are on their last leg it sounds like.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
Need to find a video on how to take apart the case for the laptop(I did it with a ASUS laptop). It may just need to be cleaned and the noise will be less loud. If not pull the fan and find the part number then google it. It may be on ebay. If the fan is soldered to the MB, then you may be in for quite the learning curve, but most modern laptops have a small detachable peace like a regular fan. When doing this be very careful, smaller parts break like brittle. Follow the instruction to a "T" and do not force anything.

Archived