Enlistment after graduation

Guest RhinoTech

Guest RhinoTech

I'm going to get my bachelors in software engineering at the end of 2014, I also want to enlist after that. Anyone here gone down that path with some experience/advice to share? This is still over a year off from right now, but it's a good thing to flesh out an idea/plan to smooth out any kinks or misconceptions.

Also, I'm not sure which branch I would want to sign with. My heart leans towards the Marines, and my logical mind that thinks about money or perks leans toward the Air Force or the Army. This is as good a place as any for me to extract and ferment ideas, after all, I don't necessarily have to drink the concoction we make here :D

Guest RET.TSgt.Warlord=US=
with a Bachelors Degree in Software Engineering you open up the door to instead of Enlisting, you have the path to become an Officer and go to Officer Candidate School. Having the degree you could definitely go into the computer fields w/in the military and excel there, maybe as Counter Intelligence (although you get tortured for 4-6 months as part of your training [Water Boarding, etc]). I say go for it, all ranks across the military get paid the same, a E-3 in the Army gets the same pay as a E-3 in any other branch, only difference is the duty station you get stationed at, then you'll get paid a bit more because of the Cost of Living goes up or down. Only real perks in the military is the type of job you sign for, Counter Intelligence for example, IF you pass the training for it you get a fat $65,450(unless its changed) upon graduation. Perks don't change.

Guest RhinoTech
That would be some seriously sweet stuff, I never really considered joining CI (because of my general paranoia) though testing my mettle with that torture stuff has piqued my interest. I would absolutely give it my best shot for the officer path.

Archived