Gaming Laptops...

Guest RET.SFC.MissM4yhem=US=

Hey, all. There's a pretty good possibility that I'll be getting a job soon that involves quite a bit of travel (I have my third interview for it in a few hours, yay!). Obviously I can't lug my gaming rig around, so I'm looking into getting a laptop that I can use for gaming and taking care of other stuff while I'm on the road. I'm pretty technically savvy, and I can use Google as easily as anyone else. I have not, however, ever used a laptop for gaming, and input from real people beats what the internet tells me every time. So I seek your wisdom!

Budget is a flexible $2000. I would love for it to be able to take a good bite out of BF4 when it comes out. (I am aware there are no system reqs for it yet, but they probably won't be much higher than BF3's.) Other than that, it'll just be used for normal computer things, checking email, Teamspeak, etc.

That's pretty much it. I'll take any feedback you guys have, whether it's which brands to avoid, specific product recommendations, or your own experiences, I'd love to hear it. Thank you in advance!

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

You'll probably get all sorts of comments about why not to get a gaming laptop lol... However, that decision is yours to make. $2000 is a fair budget to set on a gaming rig, and will get you something that hits what you're looking for.

So, if you're dead set on getting a gaming laptop, here are the lessons I learned from mistakes I made when I bought one awhile back:

- Some brands are flashy, some are not. Alienware, for example, is flashy. You are paying as much for branding as much as the components, as well as the little bells and whistles like adjustable color LED backlighting. Sager is not nearly as flashy, and you're not paying for the branding. MSI and ASUS have been up-and-comers for some years now in mobile gaming, so they also fall into that non-flashy category. It's worth looking at ALL options, not just the ones you would assume are good.

- Try and find one with an upgradeable GPU, if possible. Gaming laptops are notorious for not having a long lifespan because it's difficult to upgrade. It's worth trying to make it future-proof, IF POSSIBLE, but without letting that limit your options. That being said, there's always a use for a powerful laptop... for example, mine is now the centerpiece of our home theater setup, even though it can't keep up with gaming anymore.

- Focus on the GPU FIRST. That's why you're buying the laptop, after all, so build around the GPU.

- Don't worry about weight. You're buying a gaming rig, not a tablet. Don't even let weight factor into the decision. Ultimately, as long as it can go into some kind of travel bag with padding, it's portable enough to fit what you're looking for.

- Heat. Read reviews and make sure that while it will definitely run hot, no one complains about it OVER-heating regularly.

- As an add-on to the above, it's definitely worth looking at cooling pads to help mitigate the heat a bit.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind.

Good luck!!

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=

Yeah, I second the Major's comments on gaming laptops. Some pretty up-and-coming companies to look at are MSI, ASUS, and possibly Lenovo (their Y510p has SLI GTX 750M which actually perform pretty well).

If you can wait until August, I'd suggest taking a look at MSI's GS70 which is their direct competitor with the Razer Blade (which is over priced and super flashy). It features a lot more storage in a 17" size at 2.8kg (is what they're advertising). I'm trying to hold off until that laptop comes out because the build quality is shaping up to look incredible. They'll have a lower spec'd model coming in at $1799, I think and a higher end at $1999. They both come with SSDs and a mass storage drive.

Guest Jericho88

Hey there.

I just got a Lenovo Ideapad Y500, and I ADORE it. It's gotten stellar reviews across the board (except the trackpad, but it's a gaming rig. I use a mouse most the time anyway.) and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I have not encountered a game that I cannot run on max settings flawlessly. I didn't even opt in for the dual graphic cards. I just have one and a CD Drive in the ultrabay and it plows through any game I throw at it.

Plus, it doesn't look like it'll expose you to radiation coughALIENWAREcough.

...Some really awesome advice...
Thanks, Sir! This is exactly the kind of input I was hoping to get. By way of getting something you can swap the GPU out of, is it worth considering doing a custom build? I know the process is a little different from doing a custom desktop, it's not *as* customizable, and not quite as much cheaper, but would it be worth looking into?

If you can wait until August, I'd suggest taking a look at MSI's GS70 which is their direct competitor with the Razer Blade (which is over priced and super flashy).
Nice find, Sir. I won't be getting anything until Late August / early September, so that works out nicely!

I just got a Lenovo Ideapad Y500, and I ADORE it.

A friend of mine had one of these, and he says his ran REALLY hot all the time. I know this is an issue with laptops and to be expected, but he says it was pretty bad (like burned his hands, bad). Do you have the same overheating issues? I've seen the reviews for this thing, and it's either not a common issue, or nobody brings it up. Maybe it's just him. I was looking at a similar Lenovo for my low-budget list, which is why I ask.

Started looking around at laptops' date=' not that I'll buy one for gaming but I still love trolling NewEgg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834231090 This one is pretty legit and in your price range.[/quote'] I also enjoy trolling Newegg, Sir! Thanks for poking around!

Also, how do you all feel about Windows 8? I've heard some good things and some not-so-good things about it...

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
Windows 8, itself, is actually quite stable. I think I've heard a few issues regarding drivers, but far fewer than the complaints from Vista. The biggest difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 is that pesky Metro/Modern UI. If you can survive it, then Windows 8 is a good OS for you. If not, you might want to stick to Windows 7.

Guest Jericho88

No, I don't have those overheating issues at all. I mean, it gets warm, sure, but it's a gaming laptop. That's going to happen.

Also, I don't have it on my lap a lot of the time. It's usually on my desk. But, in the off chance I do have it on my lap, I have never been overly uncomfortable.

Windows 8, itself, is actually quite stable. I think I've heard a few issues regarding drivers, but far fewer than the complaints from Vista. The biggest difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 is that pesky Metro/Modern UI. If you can survive it, then Windows 8 is a good OS for you. If not, you might want to stick to Windows 7.

Yeah, the UI wasn't really a concern for me, Sir. There are probably dozens of ways to mod the UI; it was the stability I was curious about, given MS's inconsistency with that in OSs (as the Cpl pointed out). 8 isn't my first choice, but at least I know it won't be utterly bad as a backup.

No, I don't have those overheating issues at all. I mean, it gets warm, sure, but it's a gaming laptop. That's going to happen.

Alright, cool. Was probably just a one-off issue with his, nothing to worry about.

Guest Jericho88
Alright, cool. Was probably just a one-off issue with his, nothing to worry about.

It sure was. I promise you, mate. I have high expectations for my machines. This Lenovo is a dream.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
...By way of getting something you can swap the GPU out of, is it worth considering doing a custom build? I know the process is a little different from doing a custom desktop, it's not *as* customizable, and not quite as much cheaper, but would it be worth looking into?

I don't think custom rigging a gaming laptop yourself would be necessary or practical. These days there are plenty of options out there, it's more about budget.. with most of these gaming laptops, they have things customized to the point that trying to replicate that yourself is a beast. If you meant looking at companies that give you optional upgrades and component swaps, then yes, definitely worth looking into.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8230-clevo-p151sm1-p-5840.html

There's an example of a gaming laptop well within your budget that has an upgradable nVidia card on a site that allows customization. Good names attached to the thing through and through.

Yeah, I figured it may have been more trouble than it was worth. Thanks for the input, Sir.

Archived