Logitech G930's...

Guest cepwin

Guest cepwin

I'm curious if anyone is using the Logitech G930's? I have a Razer headset that is well made but it's stereo and I'm wondering if I'll hear stuff better in game with a 7.1 surround headset? Has anyone else switched from a quality stereo headset to a quality 7.1 surround and found it helped in-game? The other two things I like about this model is it is wireless and will also work with my PS3. I'm tired of not hearing opponents come up behind me but that could be my not-good hearing and lack of experience or both but if 7.1 surround will help me hear in game better it maybe worth the $$.

Tnx.

Guest Halabrad
im currently using the G930s and I love them. When i first got them i definitely noticed a difference in sound (both quality and direct). While they aren't as good as a dedicated sound card with the audio technica AD700 ( though to be the best headphones for directional sound) i find them quite useful. They have a good wireless range and the mic is also pretty good. overall i think they were worth the money

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=

Beware though, with the G930's the piece that connects the can's to the head piece are infamous for breaking easily. I have the g35's which is the wired version of the 930's.

To be honest thought the "surround soudn" is virtual surround so the software is trying to emulate what true surround is like. For me it isn't all that much better for directional awareness relative to standard stereo.

Before investing in new headphones I would try the new "free software Razer released to emulate 7.1 with standard stereo headphones.

http://www.razerzone.com/surround

And definitely just do some more research on "True surround" vs. "virtual surround". All headphones use virtual surround, though some have more than 2 speakers it is still emulated on some level. The only way to get true surround is by being surrounded by speakers in traditional set up.

Guest RET.SFC.MissM4yhem=US=

I have them as well, and like them for the most part. If you have a two story house, just don't expect to get wireless in every room. The only trouble I ever have with them is the side buttons stop working and I have to restart the software from time to time. It only happens when the headset shuts off to conserve power (when not plugged in), and then gets turned back on. And even then, it only happens once in a while, so it's not even major.

Overall they're really nice though. I'd recommend them.

Guest RET.COL.SilverEupher=US=

I went through 2 G35's that lasted no longer than 1.5 to 2 years each due to the swivel of the ear cup breaking. I'm gentle with things like this, but that did not help the tension that is placed on the plastic piece as you pull the cups apart to put them on your head or take them off, which eventually wear them out. Logitech has been great to many customers and replaced mine for free twice now, but with this third set I received a while back I decided to sell them (they are in a factory sealed box and brand new) and move on to something better. I almost bought the SteelSeries Siberia V2's because many gamers rave about how comfortable they are, but realized I could get much better sound quality for the money.

So, I've moved on from gaming "headsets" that have the mic built on and I was interested in better sound quality than what you get with most of them. I ended up buying a good quality headphone and boom mic separately. I attached the mic to my headphones to get the combo that I wanted.

Also, I've found that the simulated 7.1 surround sound does nothing for you. Even with the few headphones that actually have more than 1 driver in each cup, it doesn't make much difference since they're right there on your head and not separated around the room.

Listen to this with your headset:

Or

Excellent guide that influenced my decision to go for better sound drivers and microphone separately:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide

Guides for each kind of interest (music, games, all-around, audiophile, etc.) Click on the spoiler links to view more info for each category within the post:

OCN's Most Recommended Audio Products

A guide based on price ranges and written by a gamer that has tried many many headphones and headsets:

Ultimate Gaming Headphone Guide

Another useful collection of guides in one thread that is about more than just your headphones, but guides for other peripherals and pc parts:

Teamfortress.tv Forum Guide

Some of it is out of date but still good info. Plus, you can find the updated versions of those guides elsewhere.

Can buy this microphone if you want to buy headphones and add a great quality mic to them without tedious DIY factor:

ModMic

It is noise-cancelling and omnidirectional.

DIY unidirectional boom mic nid with some velcro:

FraGTaLiTy's Audio-Technica AD700 boom mic Mod

I found this boom mic for FraGTaLiTy's mod on ebay for $9:

Labtec LVA7330 ClearVoice Head Microphone

Labtec LVA7330 ClearVoice Head Microphone Info

It records very clear and is unidirectional, so it won't pick up every sound in the room.

Guest RET.Capt.DoggyRanger=US=

Same problem with G35.. After that, not a big fan of Logitech..

Beware though, with the G930's the piece that connects the can's to the head piece are infamous for breaking easily. I have the g35's which is the wired version of the 930's.

To be honest thought the "surround soudn" is virtual surround so the software is trying to emulate what true surround is like. For me it isn't all that much better for directional awareness relative to standard stereo.

Before investing in new headphones I would try the new "free software Razer released to emulate 7.1 with standard stereo headphones.

http://www.razerzone.com/surround

And definitely just do some more research on "True surround" vs. "virtual surround". All headphones use virtual surround, though some have more than 2 speakers it is still emulated on some level. The only way to get true surround is by being surrounded by speakers in traditional set up.

Guest cepwin
Thank you all for your feedback. After reading about the quality issues (surprising since their other stuff is pretty sturdy) I did some more research and settled on the CMStorm Sirus which has true 5.1 and a control module. The other option was the Astros but $200 was more than I wanted to spend (although I read General's thread about his Astros) One nice thing about the Sirus is you can adjust it to pick up more sound in the rear which may help me avoid being knifed in game :) (I suspect that's also the case with the astros) I also felt for this application wireless isn't really important as I'l be sitting at my desk. (It's proved critical for my mobile headphones as since I'm so short I was forever tripping on, getting caught the chord and ruining the connection.)

Archived