Gaming Laptop ?

Guest kotschi123

Guest kotschi123
Anyone know of a laptop that can run BF3 on ultra smoothly for under 1500 bucks ... can be manufacturer refurbished ... :)

Guest naskdn

Y580 features Intel Core i7-3630QM, 750GB 5400RPM 16GB SSD, 8GB DDR3, Nvidia GT 660M (2G DDR3 VRAM)

More details and specs here

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

Well, this is an age-old question of whether or not it's worth it to get a gaming laptop. What are you getting it for? What are the benefits you're expecting from mobility?

LAN events? -- Won't be worth it, since the only problem is actually lugging the desktop, and it's not even that bad. And then once you're set up and running, you'll be far more happy with the desktop anyway.

In school? Gaming while in class? ;) -- Doesn't work. The second your GPU fan speed cranks up the sound makes it impossible to stay inconspicuous. And your professor sees flashing lights on your face reflected from the screen while in an FPS.

Gaming at coffee houses or other hotspots? Bandwidth becomes the bottleneck. Same for hotels if you travel a lot.

Been there... did desktop builds for awhile and then decided for some reason to get an Alienware m15x (for way too much $$) because I thought mobility was worth it. After awhile, I couldn't wait to get back to desktops and to pay down the credit on the purchase, not to mention be able to upgrade hardware again.

Just couldn't outweight the cons with the pros... if you have $1500 to burn, you can get an outstanding gaming desktop.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

Agree completely, if you want something to take notes on, buy a notepad and a pen for $5. If you want to play games buy a desktop. The upgradeability of desktop far outshines laptops, once you buy a laptop your pretty much stuck with what you bought for ever. Laptops generally are very noisy when gaming which is kind of a turn off, and can get extremely hot, if its on your lap. Laptops centred around gaming are often very heavy, and thick, alien ware is a classic example. And don't forget, you'll also need to lug around a mouse, headset/headphones and a power supply. Gaming will drain your battery very fast.

Gaming "tagged" laptops are often overpriced as well, for what you can get in a "gaming" laptop, you can get for half the price in a PC.

Guest kotschi123

Well I need it as a computer for school, at our school we basically do everything on our computers and we need them for every class, so desktop is not an option for me ...

And Captain, not being able to game in class ... well, I manage pretty well ;)

And also the M17x has upgradeable CPU and GPU ... something I've been looking into ... it is such a hard choice :(

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
And also the M17x has upgradeable CPU and GPU ... something I've been looking into ... it is such a hard choice

Take this fact with a grain of salt.

The M17x uses a mobile version of the Intel CPU with the Socket G2 (rPGA988B). This essentially means that you can fit regular 1155 socket CPU's in your laptop, although they will generate so much heat, and use almost 30W more power, that means most likely you laptop will persistently crash due to overheating or drain power very quickly. That doesn't mean you can't choose mobile versions of CPU's to upgrade, but you will instantly hit the point of diminishing returns for that socket. You'll be paying double for 0.2Ghz-0.4Ghz more. I don't think there's much of a future in the G2 socket anyway, with Intel's range of Haswell CPU's coming out in June this year, they'll use the G3 socket. Which essentially means you can't upgrade any-more because you can't replace your motherboard.

Also take note that even though they're labelled as fancy i7's for mobile use. The desktop equivalent of the CPU they use is an i5-3330 underclocked. So your actually paying more for less. You'll also be carrying around almost 9lbs or 4.2Kg, which in my opinion is too much, imagine carrying around your heaviest textbook + your laptop which weighs the same. You'll quickly tire of lugging it around.

GPU's are the same, you'll need the mobile equivalent, and you'll hit power limits. I believe the power limit for the m17x is 150W, that's really not going to last you through any serious upgrades. The stock GPU draws 75W, the CPU draws around 45W, that leaves you with only 30W overhead. The newer range of GPU's for mobile devices are pulling around 100W, with the kepler line pulling 195W. That leaves you with very little room for upgrading. Reading into the MX series of laptops, they have a history of reaching power limits and stuttering.

I wouldn't factor upgradeability into any laptop, its a little bit of marketing nonsense. If you don't mind the weight, and price then go for it, but you'll realise it won't last you very long.

Guest RET.PO2.Basman=US=

And Captain, not being able to game in class ... well, I manage pretty well ;)

So are you going to be able to attend the meetings and practices and scrims?

Guest kotschi123
So are you going to be able to attend the meetings and practices and scrims?

If I get a new computer yes ... I am currently without computer ... I was just saying when I used to have my old laptop I played during class

Archived