Looking for a comfortable gaming mouse

Guest Aristo

Title says it all; I currently use a Logitech G5 that I've had for over five years. It's served me well, but my hand gets a bit uncomfortable while playing for a while. I don't have tiny hands, but I've found the shape a bit bulky for my taste. I usually use a palm grip and I hold my mouse pretty tightly to compensate for the bulk towards the rear. I'd like to find something a bit more comfortable; a tad thinner and sleeker; easy to move around. I play with pretty low sensitivity and palm grip, although I mix it up depending on how I'm shooting. Also, I'd like more sensitive RMB and LMB buttons; holding the ADS button for a long time wears my knuckles out and a mouse with less button resistance would surely help. I use my mouse's side buttons to switch weapons and throw grenades, so at least two of those is essential. Been looking at the Razer Deathadder; heard some good things. I used to hear bad things about Razers quality control; how're they looking now?

Guest kotschi123
I play with a Razer Deathadder black edition and I love it. I got one on ebay for 30 dollars and it's a great mouse ... you should look into it :)

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
I always thought the G500 was just a newer version of the G5. I don't know if it'll help my case an awful much' date=' given the similar shape.[/quote']

The G500 is the newer version of the G5. They moved some buttons around (like the DPI on-the-fly and button_4 and button_5), but the biggest different is where they put the laser... on the G5 it is almost dead-center on the bottom, whereas on the G500 they moved it forward so that it falls more under button_1 and button_2. Doesn't seem like it would make a big difference, but it actually does. With the laser in the middle, you find your whole hand having to move in order to achieve better "twitch" because of where the sensor actually is located. With the laser farther forward, you find yourself rotating the front-end of the mouse rather than sliding the whole thing (not much, but enough to be noticeable). So it's more of your fingers controlling the quick movements rather than your whole hand. Seems odd since the G500's size would demand more of a palm grip, and front-end twitch is more of a claw thing, but that's how it ends up working for me anyway.

And once you get the weights set how you like in the bottom, it's definitely possible to use it this way.

That being said, it's always personal taste. I think people who frown on the G500's size tend to prefer the DA series anyway for all of your reasons.

Do you tend toward palm grip intentionally, or strictly because the G5 demanded it? If you get the DA, you'll probably tend more toward a claw. If that's what you're after, go DA hands down. The G500 has too high an arch to allow for good claw.

Ultimately, see if you can go to a store that carries a variety and see if they'll open boxes for you. You'll just end up getting frustrated down the road if it doesn't feel right, and in an FPS how the mouse feels is everything for having fun. You don't want to feel like you're fighting the hardware, you should be fighting the enemy :)

Thanks; I'll keep all that in mind. I'm guessing the Deathadder's pretty light? I pick up my mouse sometimes to readjust because my sensitivity is low, and heavy mice just don't work well with that. I use my G5 without the weight cartridge (not to mention it's mostly a gimmick). I use palm by choice when I have to do wide movements like turning around or looking in broad directions, but I usually switch to a claw grip on instinct when ADS. You're right, the G5 isn't very claw-friendly. I hope I can try one out before I buy.

G500

I'm going to have to "one up" you sir by saying....

G9x

Done Deal. Except if you guys have fat hands (which I do) the R.A.T. 9 has a Pinky grip

My hands are quite average-to-thin. I don't know what the G9x is supposed to feel like, but I know it comes with alternative grips that add mass for different hand sizes. Looks a bit squatter than the average mouse.

Guest FallenAfar
I have a G500 and it drives me bonkers the cable is always getting in the way and is not very flexible. Besides that using it is alright and good with BF3

Guest Granny
6000 DPI lol, you really only need up to 1000 and change in-game sensitivity to compensate. But my god thats a lot

Guest Disaster

i tried 6000 dpi one time, it´s like moving with all kinds of boost ;)

but the mouse is bigger than the most others you can get and i like it really much!

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=
I use a Razer Naga. All the buttons actually help when switching weapons, defibs, etc.

Guest Element14
I use a Razer Naga. All the buttons actually help when switching weapons, defibs, etc.

Must be an old mouse, I've never seen you in game...

:-)

Guest MilkyDG_sT

Death Adder FTW...... I've used MANY logitech mice and several different models of Razer mice and BY FAR the death adder offers the most bang for the buck. The death adder has a total of 5 buttons, left\right buttons, scroll wheel button, 2 additional buttons on the left. Add 1000Hz polling to that so the response time is super high and using the Razer Synapse control panel lets you also adjust the X and Y axis sensitivity independent of one another. If you require more than 2 extra side buttons and want wireless capabilities then go with the Razer Mamba.

There's really no competition between Razer mice and Logitech mice because Razer has integrated both a Laser and Optical motion tracking system into the Death Adder and Mamba which offers the ultimate in motion tracking abilities.

I suggest the Deathadder unless you have a few extra bucks to spend on the Mamba.

Also, both the Deathadder and Mamba are fairly light and fit most hand sizes extremely well. The logitech mice have a tendency to have to high of an arch but the Razers are more flat (if you know what I mean).

Hope this helps!!!

[attach]298[/attach]

-milky

Guest Aristo
I got the Deathadder 2013 version a few days ago and I'm a big fan! Much easier for me to use than the G5 and more comfortable for long periods. The thumb buttons are easier to reach as well. Everything about it just feels good.

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=
Must be an old mouse, I've never seen you in game...

:-)

I'm using it to it's full potential in the MMOFPS that is Planetside 2. It's an MMO mouse, after all.

I was playing with Captain Kaos a couple of weeks ago, but he was playing hardcore so it didn't last long.

Guest Element14
I'm using it to it's full potential in the MMOFPS that is Planetside 2. It's an MMO mouse, after all.

I was playing with Captain Kaos a couple of weeks ago, but he was playing hardcore so it didn't last long.

I actually have the same mouse, we should share Planetside 2 set-ups sometime. Text me when you do the Planetside thing...

Archived