*URGENT* CPU and RAM usage!

Guest iCRO4TIAN

Guest iCRO4TIAN

Hey guys, boxing day is tomorrow and I'm deciding weather to buy a new motherboard and processor bundle and some new RAM. I'm mainly considering this not just because of the awesome prices but because without even running much on my computer my CPU usage sits at between 40-60% and my RAM at 3-4 GB (out of 8 GB). Here is the link to the product I'm thinking of buying: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_FX6200_M5A97R20 AND any decent 16 GB of RAM on that site @ Edmonton north store. I run skype, teamspeak and kaspersky at all times. Opening Sony Vegas or a Game makes my usage rocket. Any type of advice is appreciated. Also, when my system lags it switches my windows theme to Areo. This happens sometimes but not too often when playing games.

My System Specs:

Power Supply: Cosair TX750 V2 (750W)

Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced w/ CM Hyper CPU Fan

Processor: Intel i2500K on Turbo (4 Core, 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz, 6MB Cache, 64 Bit)

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 M-pro

RAM: DDR3 8GB (2x4) of Corsair Vengance RAM

GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6950 1GB GDDR5

Hard Drive: 1TB Seagate

PS: Or should I look at keeping my current motherboard and getting another Intel Processor (might be the same price anyway)

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

If you are looking for the best upgrade to that current system, the answer is a Solid State Drive (SSD). It will be immediately noticeable in your daily program use and with games it loads levels very quickly. Obviously the drive size can be a limitation so its always good to have a regular HDD as well where you can install larger programs where speed isn't entirely essential.

8GB of RAM is plenty these days, unless you are running a lot of potentially large background processes like SQL you won't get near that max. Your CPU is also still very good, 3.3GHz on an i5 is near top quality and any upgrade won't be very noticeable.

Also maybe a video card upgrade, I'd suggest NVIDIA, but that can come down to personal preference.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

Agree with Xander here, your set up is pretty decent.

A new Solid State Drive for your OS(250gb) and a better GPU and you'll be rocking BF3 like you built a whole new system.

Guest Halabrad
As stated by the GEN. and major, SSD is the way to go. You could get a MB if you really felt like it, but its not necessary. You could also push that i5 to at least 4.0-4.5Ghz.those i5 are true OC beasts.if you did that though, I would look into a new CPU cooler, either the corsairh100 if you want a simple liquid cooler or the coomer master 212 EVO if you prefer air cooler

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
8GB of RAM is plenty these days, unless you are running a lot of potentially large background processes like SQL you won't get near that max. Your CPU is also still very good, 3.3GHz on an i5 is near top quality and any upgrade won't be very noticeable.

Agreed, I do everything from 3D editing and rendering to using CAD software while simultaneously running a background scan using kaspersky all on 2GB of RAM and I only hit around 70% max. I'd suggest taking a look at the background applications your running, I'm sure you'll find 10-20 that do next to nothing but sit there as bloatware using up RAM. You could also try running CCleaner to see if that removes some possible registry problems.

Archived