Monitor has bit the dust

Guest FallenAfar

Guest FallenAfar

Hello All,

It looks like my monitor has bit the dust, not very impressed as I haven't had this one too long, unfortunately Samsung are insisting I give them a proof of purchase which I no longer have.

So I need a new monitor or a pair or 3 :D, I have a budget of around 300 pound at the end of the month, I can use this to buy two and another later in the month with student grants.

I have a 6770 with a DVI, Display port and a HDMI port. I would love if someone can point me to some great monitors as I only tend to look at price, brand and size.

Thank for any help offered in finding a new set of monitors :)

Fallen

Guest Phantomb
i've got a couple of LG 120hz Nvidia 3d vision ready monitors that i got off ebay for £120 each last year. They are pretty awesome. i wouldnt spend anything over 150 though to be honest.

Guest Snapptastic
just my recommendation, but i'd get a TV for a computer monitor. i have a 32" from a while back and it still works incredibly. for 300 quid, you could probably get the same.

Guest Phantomb
Most tv's are 720p and have pretty bad response times, add on 120hz and it gets pretty exspensive, before you even consider the colours/black levels.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
I just got the Alienware aw2310 120hz for about 160. Really awesome and probably the cheapest 3d monitor, surprisingly.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
Hello All,

It looks like my monitor has bit the dust, not very impressed as I haven't had this one too long, unfortunately Samsung are insisting I give them a proof of purchase which I no longer have.

Fallen

If you didn't want to replace the monitor, I can almost guarantee your problem is with a blown capacitor. You could fix it for around 30 cents if you tried. And it looks like you've got nothing to lose regardless. Even if you do still buy some new monitors, you'll have an extra one too!

I use a SyncMaster CA550, i believe the specific model number is only available in Australia, but its a very nice monitor.

Guest FallenAfar
the one that just died is a SA300 I still need to check the VGA cable with a more new and up to date one and he DVI port it could be that the VGA has died if that's the case im hoping the DVI will still work

I've never seen issues with a bad VGA port or cable, their generally pretty hardy from my experience. What happens when you power it on?, does the screen not show any display or can you see a "No signal" box.

Guest FallenAfar
Just the no signal box but the Catalyst control centre picks up the monitor on both the laptop and the computer, in some rare instances the screen just goes back, However 99% of the time is No signal

Strange, although it does not sound like a typical blown capacitor there could be a problem somewhere down the line which can cause intermittent issues with supplying power to the Analogue to digital conversion board. Did anything eventful happen before it stopped working?, like a lightening storm, moving the monitor to a different place/power socket, connecting different devices? Also, could it be a software issue?, are your video card drivers updated correctly, are your BIOS set to output using the video card and not the onboard video?

Generally if the computer is detecting the monitor, its a lack of power from the inverter to turn the screen itself on, but the monitor is still outputting to windows to indicate its in an active state.

Guest FallenAfar

The electric was turn off while it was on the other day, as we are getting the house renovated but it was fine when I turned it back on.

This cant be a driver issue as this monitor doesn't work on two separate machines, I was playing bf3, then I came off. My keyboard and mouse did the weird flashy thing that it usually does... (dont ask) I have to change the sockets they were in and when I plugged in my mouse it went off.

Guest Phantomb
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M320SL-32-Inch-120Hz-Internet/dp/B007QCXYV2/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353177077&sr=1-7&keywords=32-inch+1080p+120+hz

32 inch Vizio 1080p 120hz - New @ $358, Used @ $309

I'm just suggesting this because you get a TV and computer monitor in one.. This is a great TV for the price.

Its SPS (scenes per second) so i might not actually be true 120Hz. Plus its gotta 8ms response time, kinda bad.

Gaming on a TV cant really ever compare to a dedicated gaming monitor. Although its good if your on a budget.

The electric was turn off while it was on the other day, as we are getting the house renovated but it was fine when I turned it back on.

This cant be a driver issue as this monitor doesn't work on two separate machines, I was playing bf3, then I came off. My keyboard and mouse did the weird flashy thing that it usually does... (dont ask) I have to change the sockets they were in and when I plugged in my mouse it went off.

Does it do the weird flashy thing now?

Guest FallenAfar
Well I suspect it could either be my mx518 that is the cause or the motherboard so I'm using my g500 and playing the waiting game to find out which it is.

Archived