Windows 8 Half Price code

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

Go to https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com

Windows 7 PC purchase information

Date of purchase *Make up any date within last 2 months.

Name of retailer * Just say whatever retailer.

PC Brand *I typed in Acer

PC Model * I typed in random anything.

That is all it requires, no receipt verification is needed. Anyone can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99. It gives you a promo code, and you download and install from there.

Then all you need to do is type the code you get into your shopping cart when you buy windows and voila!

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=

Does it also work for the German Win8 version?

edit: The form exists in German, so hopefully it works without a receipt :) Thank you SGM!

edit 2: Great, got my promocode!

Not gonna upgrade till I know it's not another vista.

Let us know guys!

Likewise. I'm happy with Windows 7 like I was happy with Windows XP when I upgraded, I'm not making the same mistake again.

Guest Snapptastic

so my copy of Win7 is uhh.. i think you know what i'm saying. does it work for us? i'm going to tinker with this registration and see if it works and post back.. is Win8 worth it?

edit: okay on the registration part, just use a date that is 2 months ago or less (ex: use 09/27/12) and it'll work! i'm starting the D/L process now

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Use that to restore the start menu in a new Metro UI form. I'm using it its great.

Overall I've found windows 8 to contain a lot more functionality in terms of having some new administrative dialogs instead of having to go through CMD, and improved defragmenter and Bit locker is good too. If you use the metro UI however, alot of the functionality is hidden away, you need to access it all through the control panel, or you'll never find it.

I chose to upgrade and the process was simple, windows kept all my programs and i didn't have any problems with any of them except 1(more on that later). It asked me to remove some incompatible programs before, which i did and i downloaded new updated versions compatible with win8 and i installed them later without a problem. The program that seemed to have issues is, you guessed it, "Origin", i don't know how poorly coded origin is, but if my 100+ other programs including iTunes can run on windows 8 i don't see why EA can't have a working windows 8 version on release day. To say the least it crashes on startup and EA don't seem to be doing anything about it.

The boot time is significantly faster, about 3 seconds to enter the desktop from the windows loading screen + around 5 seconds to POST, so i'm getting around 7-10 seconds boot times. In windows 7 i was getting around 12-14 seconds, so that's a good boost.

Windows 8 also has spell checking in all Metro fields now, which is handy even though i don't make use of any Metro apps. On that note, i found the windows store lacking any quality apps, and i couldn't really tell which were the most popular or highest rated because of the way it presents everything in a grid with no obvious hierarchy, i wasn't sure if it was vertically or horizontally sorted. The power button is another pet peeve of mine, Its hidden behind the settings panel and requires 3 clicks minimum, you have to hover over the charms bar on the right, click settings > power > shutdown. Which may be good for tablets, but is plain annoying for PC.

In general i think its a good upgrade although you may want to hold off for origin compatibility it's certainly worth a $15 upgrade, even if only for the improved boot times and lower memory usage at times.

Guest Doubleome
Not gonna upgrade till I know it's not another vista.

Let us know guys!

Wonder why everyone hated Vista, was fine for me. Less problems compared to windows 7.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

Wait, what? Double, are you trolling? lol you just hit a pet peeve. /*Begin wall..

- Driver problems for users who had any sort of hardware other than what came with their Dell or HP due to their new hardware abstraction layer that never worked quite right.

- The amount of OS that it loaded into memory on bootup was insane and caused performance problems all over the place

- Mostly bloatware with extra services running (even on OEM, not retail or manuf license like Dell)

- Massive UI changes from XP that didn't make any sense - change for the sake of change. 7 streamlined those changes and ended up with what Vista should have been the whole time

The most compelling proof is in the market shares, really...

In 2008, 7 years after XP was released and almost 2 years after Vista, netmarketshare has 84%/12% XP/Vista

In 2012, 11 years after XP was released and with 7 out, it goes to 51%/9%/40% XP/Vista/7

Given that 7 is out at that point, that means the remaining XP % is because of either hardware requirements keeping them on the OS, budget restrictions preventing company-wide upgrades, or just sheer laziness in figuring out a new OS.

Guest Snapptastic

yeah Double i have no idea what you're talking about lol.. i avoided vista like the plague. i had windows XP (which i loved btw) and refused to switch after i saw my brothers laptop that came with vista.. it was a damn TRAINWRECK.

what LT said about market shares is so true.. microsoft knew that vista was garbage and had a ton of problems. so i think im also going to wait to see what the verdict is on 8 before i switch from 7 (which i also love like XP).

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
Wait, what? Double, are you trolling? lol you just hit a pet peeve. /*Begin wall..

- Driver problems for users who had any sort of hardware other than what came with their Dell or HP due to their new hardware abstraction layer that never worked quite right.

- The amount of OS that it loaded into memory on bootup was insane and caused performance problems all over the place

- Mostly bloatware with extra services running (even on OEM, not retail or manuf license like Dell)

- Massive UI changes from XP that didn't make any sense - change for the sake of change. 7 streamlined those changes and ended up with what Vista should have been the whole time

The most compelling proof is in the market shares, really...

In 2008, 7 years after XP was released and almost 2 years after Vista, netmarketshare has 84%/12% XP/Vista

In 2012, 11 years after XP was released and with 7 out, it goes to 51%/9%/40% XP/Vista/7

Given that 7 is out at that point, that means the remaining XP % is because of either hardware requirements keeping them on the OS, budget restrictions preventing company-wide upgrades, or just sheer laziness in figuring out a new OS.

I had a Vista desktop (that I later upgraded to Windows 7 Pro) and it had an issue early on where it wouldn't wake from deep sleep mode. Come to find out, it was a driver issue, but it was the LAN card driver causing the problem. I just had to update it and it worked fine. But, Vista was absolutely terrible.

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=

I don't know where you all can find these problems with Vista.

Switched to Vista a few months after release to play Halo 2 on PC (Games for Windows required Vista), staid with it until 7 came out.

Never had any serious troubles or problems, didn't really crash more often than Win7 does (and it is really rare to crash).

And my PC wasn't a DELL PC or something, everything completely built in by myself.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
The Stardock start menu thing is great.. Loving it. Let say Microsoft does a SP1 and puts the start button back, I bet they do. Especially when they find out how much Stardock is making off their flawed idea, to take it away.

Guest Doubleome

Dunno guess everyone has there own problems, just saying my Vista was fine. Never had to change something in the registery to get rid of a 30 sec black screen win 7 gave me on differnt installs.

Win 8 prolly be fine, but for PC gaming dunno. Feels like a phone port :) no need for those kind of features with a mouse and keyboard on a big screen.

4 gb isnt enough ram anyway these days, win 7 nor 8 will max out 8gb.

Good deal still.

Just if anyone did upgrade to windows 8 and found origin wouldn't launch(or any applications for that matter) here's the solution.

If you have upgraded to Win 8 from Win 7, ensure that all system components required to run Afterburner(or EVGA precision or any software over clocking software are installed properly.

To do it go to .\Redist folder in Afterburner folder and launch both dxwebsetup.exe and vcredist_x86.exe to update DirectX and Visual C++ runtimes.

Then delete .\Bundle\OSDServer\Profiles\Config file to empty OSD cache.

If you're trying to use OSD with Direct3D mods, just tick "Enable compatibility with modified Direct3D libraries" in OSD server properties.

If that does not work. Simply add "Origin.exe" to the detection list and click Application Detection level: None. Or alternatively click on "Global" and set Application Detection Level: None

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Vista's problems can mostly be tracked back to poor driver support on launch. Due to Microsoft having to scrap a large amount of the work on "Longhorn" which became Vista, they set development back 2-3 years. This caused several issues most notably though, was that people got comfortable with XP (such as SPC.Snapptastic).

Comfort and technology don't go well together. With how quickly and drastically tech can change, getting "comfortable" puts you behind it makes you want to wait to update, and by the time you are done waiting the next upgrade is out and you missed a whole link in the chain. Comfort also slows down innovation, it makes companies nervous to change too much of a product as people will get confused and demand the "old version"...see Facebook as an example of that. I couldn't even count the number of "Bring back the old facebook posts" when in reality the old facebook sucked compared to what it can do now.

/rant

But I love Win8 I wish I saw this post first though I paid the full $40 for it, but its worth it compared to the $100+ Win7 would go for. I have next to no issues. The upgrade tool is great, I'm glad they finally hopped on board the Linux train when it comes to OS upgrades.

Archived