Favorite Cartridge

Guest MadButcher

Guest MadButcher

This will hopefully turn into a discusion thread. I was wondering what everyones favorite caliber/cartidge is. This can be from real life experiance or even a video game if you like. Post the cartridge name and why you like it. You can even do a pistol and a rifle if you chose. You can list multiples if you so chose and feel free to coment on other peoples chioces.

Bolt Action Rifle Cartridge: 240 Weatherby Magnum- Reason: Shoots 55gr Balistic Tips at over 4000 FPS and kills coyotes like you wouldnt believe.

Semi-Auto Rifle- .223/5.56x45- Reason: Gets the job done and with a hot load and a compitant shooter you can reach quite a ways with it.

Semi-Auto Pistol- 40 S&W-Reason: Same foot pounds of force as the .45 ACP and its smaller so you have a higher capacity.

Revolver- .454 Casull-Reason-Its huge.

I love .308 in my m1a its a real nail driver . I've been meaning to post pics of my new baby i picked up this summer just haven't done it yet.

also i hear you about the 40 but i love my .45acp

While I don't have a heck of alot of real life experience with any form of rifle or pistol cartridge, I have to say that I always found the debate over the effectiveness of the .223 (here the 5.56x45mm NATO) round versus the .308 (7.62x51mm NATO here) to be interesting. From what I gather the .223 was essentially designed to wound rather than kill over medium to long range engagements with the effect that not only the man you hit will be taken out of the fight, but also one to two of his buddies trying to get him to safety- unfortunately though the kind of enemy we face today doesn't really operate like that, combine that with the average engagement range certainly in Afghanistan, the .308 is starting to look like a good prospect again, regardless of the fact that the squad's overall ammunition capacity is decreased. I think increased proliferation of .308 chambered designated marksmen rifles throughout small fireteams would work wonders personally- either something like the EBR/EMR or the SCAR-H with one of its longer barrels. Again though, no personal experience.

Anyway I digress, as far as large rifle cartridges are concerned, the .338 Lapua Magnum has always been my favorite for some reason. It seems to have a pretty good balance between performance and... heft. For when the .308 just won't cut it. It's also sufficiently diffused both through military and civilian use that it has plenty of customization options attached to it.

As far as pistol cartridges are concerned, I've traditionally been a .45 ACP man, because I just think the 9mm lacks too much power; however I don't really know much about the .40 S&W, and if Butcher says it has as much killing power then I defer to his experience.

Archived