PC Problems

Guest RET.CPO.Čeh=US=

Guest RET.CPO.Čeh=US=

I'm tired of waiting on my guy to check out whats wrong with my PC. And since the Armored Kill release the urge has become bigger. So my problem is that when I start my pc sometimes it works for a minute, sometimes for hours and sometimes it just doesn't want to start. It's like power loss. It just turns off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=

Could be a reason. Or your CPU/GPU need too much power your PSU can't afford (So for example it is a 400W unit, but should be a 600W).

You should definitely try out a different PSU (maybe with more power).

Guest RET.CPO.Čeh=US=
Well this is the PSU with more power than the last one that I had to replace due to lack of pw. And it served me well for about a year or two.

From my experience, if the PSU is merely insufficient, it will give you a blue screen of death, after some graphical artifacts/anomalies and lower framerates. This will usually happen while playing games. A broken PSU is an entirely different story. What you're describing could be the motherboard failing or the PSU failing.

If the motherboard stops responding the PC just destroys itself; it doesn't have the means anymore to transfer calculated data from any of the components. If it's the PSU that's bad, it can randomly cut power when the going gets tough, so to speak. I would suggest you look into the PSU first since it's a cheaper problem to fix.

Never forget! Don't be a cheapskate about motherboards, EVER!

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

If you know how, open up your PSU and look for any capacitors that look blown, a blown cap can cause intermittent discharge problems on the PSU. This could be the cause of your issue, and if it is, its about a 1 euro fix.

A blown cap looks like this

http://www.thenakedpc.com/dan/Bulging_Capacitors/close-up.jpg

Or may present as a bulge in the top of the capacitor

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Bad_Capacitor_01.jpg

If you have access to a multimeter, check the voltages inside the PSU during regular operation, and then again when it won't start. There is most likely a problem on one of the 12V rails, which when not working, presents as 0 voltage when there should be an expected 12V.

If you can more accurately troubleshoot the problem, such as write down every time this problem occurs during 3 days, with exactly what you were doing when it occurred, the time and whether you could immediately start your pc again or if you had to wait. Waiting is generally a sign of an overheating issue as many IC's have a thermal fuse that prevents excessive temperature that can damage the circuit.

Guest RET.CPO.Čeh=US=

It happens more randomly. At the beginning my PC would work for a around 5-8h and then it would just turn itself off. Than after a week or so it would happen more often. Like when I would start my PC it would load all the way and just about when I would start to do somethin like gaming it would turn off. Than I couldn't start it again. So I would have to wait for some time cca 30min-1h so I can start it up again. And lately I have to wait for days so I can start it up.

I realy hope that it's the PSU problem 'cause I have guarantee on it. So I can easily switch it with no cost.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
Sounds like a PSU problem, try using a different PSU, perhaps the lower power one if you still have it and see if you get any issues(don't use your graphics card if it exceeds the wattage rating of your old PSU)

Archived