A40 Astro

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
I have invested in some of the A40 Astros for 250 they better be worth it and not some product hype. I do not like the A50, because they are wireless and I really don't want to pay for batteries or have them be buggy and cut out on me, they are fairly new and most likely need the kinks worked out. But I get them today and I'm hoping they are worth every penny.

Guest RET.MCPO.MasterOfPuppets=US=
Googled "a40 astros" and first picture I saw had an MLG logo on the side. I hope for your sake General they aren't just another piece of over hyped "gaming gear".

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

I have now used them and can say, WOW.

I can hear everything within BF3, EVERYTHING. Whats nice is its not too over the top with bass, and not to loud with voice and other functions. But I have a Bose sound system on my computer and it sounds awesome as well. But the one thing that my Bose doesn't pick up is the ambient sounds to include enemy's screaming or talking and walking around. I can pick those things up if I have the speakers turned up loud, frankly rumbling the whole house is not the best idea. So I got this headset to help others with some peace and quite.So I can enjoy my game in full force without bothering others in the house, but back to the headset, I used to use visuals more then sound to detect enemy's on BF3 because I couldn't just blast my Bose system all the time. But this headset picks up sound to include cats whining and meeyowing (annoying), pinpoint accuracy for where the sound is coming from to include tracers whizzing past your head and hitting a wall behind you. Yes I pick up all that stuff its nuts its like candy for my ears. :) I have tried other headsets and this one seems to have the best of both worlds. But I like them and if others are looking to buy these, Ill i can say is, amazing and well worth the $250. I'm happy with them.

Guest Skulker
I saw those they looked nice, I was not willing to go out that far, as I have had a terrible time with headsets, finally tried these Turtle Beach Z6's (150) with my surround sound external module(20) for my laptop and I can hear really crisp and clear audio, I am pretty impressed it has the quality of the directional sounds if only I can turn around fast enough to not get creamed..LOL

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
So General.. how about you buy me a pair too :)

If I was a Millionaire This clan would be a business and the first thing a employee would receive is this headset upon hire. :D

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

Further Review

Pros:

-Excellent sound balance between Base and Treble

-Replaceable parts on almost everything accept the speakers, you can also send them a custom logo and they will put it on the headset speaker plates.

-Excellent 7.1 Surround, you can hear everything from fire fights in the back ground to troops in CoH whispering things like, “Stay in formation”, “Watch your flanks” Yes they whisper stuff while walking into enemy territory. I also hear all the crazy side conversation in CoH, every single one. I can even hear the equipment clinging together when they march or move where you want them. Artillery goes off and it sounds like it’s all around your house or office. As for BF3 I can hear footsteps with clarity and I can tell where they come from and I can also hear enemy’s speaking when people are trying to sneak around on metro. I can hear bullets hit everywhere and rounds/tracers wiz past my head. Anything moves I hear it is my point. ;) Also you can tell the distinct sounds of each weapon being fired they sound totally different then on PC speakers they sound more genuine and real on this headset, grenades and rockets also sound slightly different but better in all.

-Music is excellent as well, you can pick up on mistakes within a track or if someone is slightly out of sync, my favorite is hearing people talking in the background slightly on some older albums.

-Movies are theater quality sound, I watched 21 Jump Street and rather enjoyed wearing the headset and hearing the 7.1 work, really felt as if I was in the theater, and the sound is really amazing.

-Packaging was excellent and pretty awesome looking; I’m keeping the box because it’s just that cool. If they can take time to make a box look epic then they have got to have one awesome product in that box.

-The Mic is very bendable and interchangeable to which ever ear is most comfortable to have it protruding from. You can control game and voice options VIA the MixAmp. It also has a quick disconnect so if you catch it on something you don’t rip the wire out or pull stuff off the desk.

-Works with PC, PS3 and Xbox360

-Has a port on the MixAmp for an IPod and Controller sound (Xbox).

Cons:

-Lots of wires

-Big MixAmp can be cumbersome if you have little room

-Should come with a 6’ Optical cable instead of 3’

-Should come with the rechargeable battery pack (have to buy it separate)

-Caring Case should also be included

-Mic can be too sensitive; I have it either above my eyebrow or way below my Jaw so I don’t blast people in TS. Also it still picks up background sounds; Astro claims it cancels it out so the crowd doesn’t interfere with voice comms, that’s not entirely true.

Voice and Game Sound is a bit of a fight while in TS, some folks I can hear fine while gaming and others are very quiet and I need to turn down game sound and turn up voice sound to hear some folks or while in the vehicles for BF3.

Summary:

Overall it’s a good headset, I have tried many from the cheapies to the Expensive and I have got to say these ones are right where I like my sound to be. I tried turtle beach A6Z and too off in some sound aspects, also they easily break and you can’t replace just that part. The run off for the Turtle beach headset was breaking in 6 months down the road. If I have to replace the whole headset 6 months down the road then no thanks. I could adjust the sound to my liking sure, but I’m lazy. ;) I have also tried Plantronics, they were ok but it seemed not to have true surround or good equality with sound balance. I have also tried a corsair brand HS1 or something and no bass at all, very dissatisfied with the sound of those for being 120 bucks. Also the HS1 mic was very odd and to short in my opinion. If you’re looking to get them, do, well worth the money and get the package deal it’s cheaper than buying separate of everything. It lives up to what it’s made for, I’m extremely happy with them, these are my first ones and I rather enjoy them. I also want to note that you can wear them for long periods and they are still comfy on your head.

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
If I was a Millionaire This clan would be a business and the first thing a employee would receive is this headset upon hire. :D

Sir, It seems as though we need to send you back to Vegas for awhile. If I remember correctly that is how you upgraded your gaming rig. :)

Archived