Just got new SSD, any tips or tricks?

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

I recently just bought this SSD and installed it yesterday

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191

I have always had a large system hard drive, my previous HDD that was running windows was 1 TB. So I have always had lots of space to work with. After I installed the SSD and put Windows on it, it seems to have broken the MBR for the Windows installation on my 1 TB. I am still able to access most of the programs and run them fine, I have a ton of games (especially on Steam) that are installed on that 1 TB. I only wanted to install a few games on my SSD to conserve space.

Anyone have any tips for a SSD noobile? Ways to help keep it in good shape?

Guest GiffMeister83

from my own experience Major, don't ever defrag the ssd. It is not needed as they don't ever require it. I bricked 2 drives before someone told me not to do it. The beauty of ssd is you need to do nothing. I love my setup, i have windows on the ssd along with a couple of key games and nothing else. All other installs go on my 2TB hdd. My boot up time is 30 secs, its great.

Just remember Sir leave it alone and it will be fine :)

Guest miyamotogL
I have windows and BF3 on my SSD. Everything else is on my 1TB Raid 1. Just install steam to the second drive, all the games end up in the %steamdir%/steamapps directory; Origin you can point the installs wherever you want.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
I've been using an SSD with windows 7 for a while. You don't need to defrag, put all your games/movies/files on a hard drive, only keep the OS on the SSD and things you want to be super fast. I'd recommend reinstalling Windows with the SSD as the main drive, because windows optimises itself for an SSD by enabling TRIM(which decreases cell wear) and disabling paging and all the other features meant for HDD's.

• 2 months later...

I concur with the posts above mine. It's better to leave SSD's alone. They don't require much maintenance because they don't experience the same "wear and tear" as HDD's do. That is due to HDD's having a an analogue component (the writing needle), and sometimes you need to optimize the allocation of files on the hard drive itself to facillitate easier access.

Make sure TRIM's enabled.

Archived