PC Starting Trouble

Guest TheBand

Guest TheBand

Hello everyone, I wanted to post on here and pick some brains about what I had encountered today.

I went to start my comp up and during start up I got my Bios beep, my mobo boot screen, and then when it began to boot my drives and periphs, my fans began to hum at a lower frequency and the screen went black. Fans would hum higher frequency and then lower freq as if they were hunting. Sounds almost like a power issue to me.

When I went to hard reset the computer she powered up for a second like she should normally (all I can say is the sound of my fans coming on) however this time no BIOS beep, blank screen and the fans immediately dropped rpm (lower freq sound). I heard two audible clicks, not loud but still clicks almost like a line contactor or an electrical switch that was trying to close but could not.

I turned the comp off and flipped the power switch on the PSU and began looking into how far into my warranty I was to send the p.o.s. back. Just for snitz'n'giggles before I unplugged everything and hooked my oooooooooollllllllllllllldddddddd comp up I decided to give it one last parting shot. Turned everything back on and she booted fine. Weird, but I'm still venturing a guess that something is lurking just under the surface.

I recently had the thing repaired and parts replaced about six months ago for a similar issue. They replaced and upgraded my PSU, replaced my MOBO and Gfx Card. From what I had done research with online it sounded exactly like a PSU problem which fried my mobo and card. But seeing as it was still under warranty I didn't bust out my multi-meter and start checking voltages. I can't say that this is the same thing here, but that is the most recent work done on it/history.

I appreciate any comments or questions that you may have for me and I thank you all for your consideration and time replying and helping me out.

LCpl.TheBand

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

The fact that you heard clicking would point to:

1. Fans, or

2. HDD(s), or

3. PSU

Nothing else would make a mechanical sound like that, unless a capacitor was popping and you'd know if it did, not to mention the smell :p

Given that ALL of the fans were changing RPM at bootup, doubtful those are your issue (and it wouldn't really explain the "no bootup", only the noise), plus the other startup issues you described.

If your system started fine that last time, and you haven't experienced anything crazy during runtime like very slow performance, random errors, glitching on file loads, etc, it's probably not your HDD(s) since you'd experience other evidence that it was failing (most likely). You can always dump your HDD into another shell just to make sure it's readable if you want to make certain.

Probably it's PSU. I've replaced a PSU before only to have the replacement burn out in a short time where the fault was definitely on the PSU itself. Sounds like you might have had the BF3 "Bad Luck" hit it.

Guest TheBand
Roger on that LT, ty for your response. Glad to have the help with troubleshooting. I'll be looking into switching out my psu, when I get back in to town.

Archived