I made "The choice"

Guest blunt92

Guest blunt92
So i have talked about it for some months now and i have decided i am going to join the united states army as infantry. I take the test 2 months from now. Just working a job and saving some cash before i go and have to give 2 weeks leave and everything first. i got an 87 on my practice test the first time i took it and i chicken'ed out and rethought. But its the best thing for me right now. Any cool storys about basic and stuff to get excited? I know i didnt take the test yet but im positive i will pass. i have also done 2 years as Afjrotc. airforce junior reserved office in training in high school and they were "hard ass's" excuse my language. But yeah. im excited!

Guest RET.LCDR.2DyESaMuRi=US=
there is always the 18x options. Ask about that, but there is a catch to skipping the 60 months, not sure what it is though

Guest M3ATSHI3LD

The catch going 18x is that only about 5% of the people on the 18x contract succeed. The rest end up going needs of the Army and sent to crappy assignments. If you are truly interested in going Special Forces then here is your career path.

Basic Training->First Unit->Get Expert Infantry Badge, Airborne/Air Assault Qualification->Get accepted into Scouts in your Battalion->Make E-4->Go to Selection->Get turned down as too young->Go back next year as E-5->Get Selected->Go on to SF training for about 2 years->Wear a green beret!

At least that was my experience. It is a rough road and you will probably have some sort of combat deployment in there somewhere. Primary things to focus on are fitness and land navigation. Remember when you go into selection it is not about finishing first, it is about finishing steadily. Also, you may want to try and get into Ranger school because the training there will be invaluable, but don't be an actual Ranger. No offense to any Rangers out there, but they tend to have the egos of SF with the common sense of basic trainees.

Example: Rangers wanted a combat jump in Iraq. A mustard stain on their wings is something to brag about. So they took off from a secure airfield and jumped back into that airfield....right onto the tarmac...60% of them broke their legs.

*EDIT* As a recommendation, I would go to the 101st Airborne Division as your first assignment. I loved it there and I shaped me to be the best soldier I think any unit could.

Guest xSubo

if ur going to be in a combat unit then i suggest you start doing cross fit asap, no reason to wait to leave to get in shape and your going to need to be able to excel at burst training so lots of sprints and intense short interval circuit routines. after making fun of mandown, working out has been my hobby since 1998 so hit me up if u have any questions. i also spent two years with a SEALs mentor to get fit before meps DQ'd me so i can help you with Selection type training programs if your interested.

-be able to do this routine very well, then add reps as it gets easier

http://tracker.dailyburn.com/workouts/4553-P90X-Chest-and-Back?page=1

Guest Marine6186

Good luck man! I have all the respect in the world for a guy who is willing to get on the front lines. You are a bigger man then me. I fixed helicopters, and the closes thing to combat I got into was wrenches being thrown at me.

One word of advise, don't get into p*ssing contest with people from other branches of the military. No branch is better then any other branch and we all fight on the same team.

Guest RET.CPT.xXAirBorneXx=US=
Just make sure the Army is really what you want to do, all the cool stuff that they show you in videos and on tv and movies isn't something that happens often. Between 90-95% of your time will be spent in some motor pool performing maintenance on vehicles or sweeping the motor pool. Granted if you do go to selection and you do get picked up then Yes you will be doing all sorts of cool stuff, just make sure that you know the first couple of years ARE going to suck for the most part. Other than that I wish you the best of luck.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
Just make sure the Army is really what you want to do, all the cool stuff that they show you in videos and on tv and movies isn't something that happens often. Between 90-95% of your time will be spent in some motor pool performing maintenance on vehicles or sweeping the motor pool. Granted if you do go to selection and you do get picked up then Yes you will be doing all sorts of cool stuff, just make sure that you know the first couple of years ARE going to suck for the most part. Other than that I wish you the best of luck.

Indeed they will, but if you make it you will enjoy every second of it. Good luck!

Guest kotschi123
My commendations and respect to you, it takes a lot of heart and courage to serve your country and I respect you for it ! Wish you the best of luck achieving what you want to achieve, and if deployed, a safe and healthy return !

Guest Skulker

The Army was the best choice I ever made, the opportunities are there for you to go into just about any direction MOS, skill...etc that you want but also the support you need to make it is there as well for you and familly. I think even though I enjoy my choices since leaving the military, In hind sight I would not have left and stayed in.

Some key points for what its worth:

1. Choose your MOS well and some of the advice in previous posts are pretty solid on career paths and such, training is free the more of it the better.

2. Spend some serious energy on your ASVAB as it does matter for MOS selection and so on. You can retest later though.

3. Physical fitness, weapons qual, map and compass are huge but the main thing as in anything is Mental toughness you have to want it in fact most selection processes test that very thing first and foremost exclusively.

4. Be willing to listen and learn, there are time honored ways of doing things many dont make any sense until later it will click.

Enjoy!

Archived