Razer Black Widow

Guest RET.MCPO.MasterOfPuppets=US=

So my keyboards getting a little old, looking to replace it relatively soon. The Razer Black Widow is currently on sale for about $80. I was wondering if anyone had one and what they thought of it?

Trying to keep the cost under $100.

Edit: BF3 Edition

awesome product only down side is it leaves alot of finger prints lol

I know. Currently have the shiny version or whatever it's called of the Lycosa. Almost as big a fan boy of Razer as BigMac is of Alienware.

Guest miyamotogL

I have two issues, only 2 key rollover except for WSAD, and the Cherry MX Blue switches; these switches click (and I mean audibly click). I have a Rosewill keyboard with the Blues which I used at work (replaced with a Lenovo keyboard w/ Trackpoint). They are wonderful for typing, not so much for gaming as the release point is above the actuation point. You need to lift them higher to release before re-pressing the same key. The blacks release at the same point for quicker repeated presses. Additionally they are silent unless bottomed out. See: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide for more info on the different mechanical switch types.

This would be a better choice for gaming: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201045. I have this same keyboard with the Blue switches and love typing on it but not gaming. I have a Filco with these Black switches. Much better for gaming.

Edit: The only Razer keyboard that has mechanical switches is the Black Widow; the rest (including Lycosa) use cheap ruber-membrane switches. I used to own a Lycosa and do not regret switching to my Filco with the Cherry MX Black; mechanical keyboards are mucho better!

Edit 2: If you care about N-key rollover, you need to use the PS2 connection. USB uses polling rather than interrupts; therefore you only key 6-key rollover.

I have two issues, only 2 key rollover except for WSAD, and the Cherry MX Blue switches; these switches click (and I mean audibly click). I have a Rosewill keyboard with the Blues which I used at work (replaced with a Lenovo keyboard w/ Trackpoint). They are wonderful for typing, not so much for gaming as the release point is above the actuation point. You need to lift them higher to release before re-pressing the same key. The blacks release at the same point for quicker repeated presses. Additionally they are silent unless bottomed out. See: http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide for more info on the different mechanical switch types.

This would be a better choice for gaming: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201045. I have this same keyboard with the Blue switches and love typing on it but not gaming. I have a Filco with these Black switches. Much better for gaming.

Edit: The only Razer keyboard that has mechanical switches is the Black Widow; the rest (including Lycosa) use cheap ruber-membrane switches. I used to own a Lycosa and do not regret switching to my Filco with the Cherry MX Black; mechanical keyboards are mucho better!

Edit 2: If you care about N-key rollover, you need to use the PS2 connection. USB uses polling rather than interrupts; therefore you only key 6-key rollover.

Heard a lot about the Filco keyboards but I just can't justify spending ~$150 on a keyboard, which is why I was looking at the Black Widow since it was on sale. But if I do buy a keyboard soon I would most likely go with the Rosewill, I've had a few people I know tell me the black widows another "crap razer product".

And I know about the Lycosa, I've had it for about 4 years now, it's nothing special but hey it was on sale for < $50 at the time and I needed a new keyboard.

A keyboard is a keyboard IMO, no need to spend loads on it.

I know, but I was looking for a decently priced mechanical keyboards because it's an overall better experience, or so I've heard from all my friends who own one.

Edit: Going to wait a bit, see if there's a random sale. Don't need a new keyboard right now, but now I have a better idea what to look for.

Guest miyamotogL

The Filco's were priced that high because there were two companies selling them outside Asia: elitekeyboards (they have since switched to Leopold as their Cherry switched keyboard), and some company in the UK. Supply and Demand, high demand + low supply = higher prices. Needless to say, I do not regret the $150 I paid for mine. The Leopold would also be a good buy, but they cannot keep them in-stock.

The Rosewill is a much better buy @ $80. My Rosewill with Blue switches is very well built and sturdy.

No Razer product is "crap". I just don't think the Blue switches are appropriate for a "gaming" keyboard. Also they should have invested in true n-Key rollover rather 2 for all keys except WSAD. I have used their mice since the Boomslang 2000 and have not been disappointed. Even the Lycosa is a good keyboard, just not in the same league as mechanical.

I completely disagree. Once you use a mechanical keyboard, there has to be a compelling reason to go back to rubber-membrane; For example: a TrackPoint http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823218006. When you make a living typing (well half of it anyway), you need to either type faster (mechanical) or keep your hands on the keyboard longer (trackpoint). If Lenovo would make a keyboard with Cherry Blue + Trackpoint I would be in heaven.

• 1 month later...
Guest Scree

If anyone is ever in the market for a mechanical keyboard, an interesting alternative is the Das Keyboard. I have the Ultimate edition and it's pretty neat.

For gaming I prefer the Cherry Browns, so I got the silent ones.

Guest Snapptastic

I think you're going to be very happy with the Blackwidow!

I just bought a Razer Arctosa (basic model, only $40) and I am so happy with it. Razer products are very high quality regardless of what you buy. My friend does have a Blackwidow and he's the reason I went with a Razer keyboard and mouse. He loves his Blackwidow and can't stop talking about it haha..

So I think you should go for it! $80 for it is a steal!

Guest Doubleome

I thought so too, was in need a for new keyboard got the cheapest mechanical(cherry black) keyboard I could find at the time. Steelseries 6GV2, and its amazing. You instantly feel how much quicker it is to respond and just every day typing its genious. Also played a lot of RPGs which they shine slightly more then FPS but you still notice it very well. Plus the ability to press all keys at the same time its very nice, USB limits to max 6.

I got one of the cheapest gaming mouse and keyboard I could find, I do agree spending twice that wont really gain you anything unless you are fighting the best of the best every second you play a game.

Guest greynomack
well i have the Razer Arctosa myself and its the best keyboard i have ever had. Just dont spill red bull in it then u are screwed

Guest Snapptastic
well i have the Razer Arctosa myself and its the best keyboard i have ever had. Just dont spill red bull in it then u are screwed

exactly. it's not a mechanical keyboard, and it's the entry level RAZER.. but it just goes to show how quality RAZER products actually are. For $38, you can get a macro-able keyboard, with media keys, ghosting, and other useful features. It's comfortable, it looks nice, comes with enough to game, and is backed by warranty. Oh and RAZER packaging is the BEST!

So, ultimately it's up to you. If you want a great keyboard where you wont have to second-guess yourself, I would get a RAZER. The Lycosa is more than capable to perform a lot of things and it's cheaper than the Widow too. Good luck to you!

Archived