Google Chrome

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
For those of you who are devoted to the internets as much as me, you may be interested to know that today Google released a beta version of their new desktop browser, knowing Google the Beta is pretty close to the final product anyway so I am using it right now. It has taken parts from both Safari's Webkit and Mozilla's Firefox. They also developed their own JS engine that they claim is faster than all current browsers and enhances usability for Web 2.0 apps such as Gmail and Facebook. Another feature that it boasts about is that each tab is its own "sandbox" which means each tab is its own "web browser" the main reason for implementing this is so that if one tab crashes it doesn't affect any of the others and the application won't crash. This is also going to be fully open sourced for the community just like Firefox is, so be expecting a good amount of Add-ons just like Firefox currently has. Currently it is only available for XP/Vista but they are working hard on Linux and Mac versions as well. Without further delay [url]http://www.google.com/chrome[/url] Enjoy

Guest RET.CW3.Dangerdude93=US=
I sit on Digg and Reddit all day long, here's a comment I saw on Digg: "Memory Useage: [url]www.digg.com[/url] loaded freshly, nothing else running. Chrome.exe: 28,448k iexplore.exe 57,780k firefox.exe 64,276k" Hope its good installing it now.

Guest Ellenberg
One gripe so far: You can't click the scroll button to have a scroll lock on it. Just gotta turn the **** wheel. I miss the scrolling lock. Lame.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
lol its worked fine for me so far, i have noticed the scrolling thing but that can be easily fixed, mem usage is low and pages load fast.

Guest SFC.No1sadvocate=US=
i like it but it will take some getting used to. it will probably kill internet explorer. And im not saving passwords until it's more solid.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Kill Internet Explorer? Unfortunately IE will still come installed on all Windows machines making the computer illiterates use it which is why it has such high market share. IE is terrible its just not as good as a lot of the other browsers out there, and don't get excited for IE 8 because I've tried the beta and it sucks. Its not like this browser was coded in less than a year, its been in development for close to 4 years. All you Firefox users (yes even me) if I gain physical access to your computer it would take me < 10 seconds to see all of your passwords. Don't believe me? In Firefox go to Options->Tools->Security Tab->Saved Passwords Button->Show Passwords Voila I own your passwords to every place you've been in the past few weeks. I so far have switched off of Firefox (an easy transition since Chrome copies literally everything off of Firefox, passwords, favorites, ect. Here is a Wired article that talks about it more. [url]http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-10/mf_chrome[/url]

Guest RET.CPT.MacCullock=US=
Physical access to a computer means there is no security to begin with. Security of existing passwords would be a trivial worry. You could easily have a password capturing hacker program on a USB drive that would not only capture them as they are now but email later changes to you forever. What I am saying is it's a non-issue compared to trusting folks with physical access to begin with. I forgot to add the philosophy of trusting an Application software developer with your browser security. That is the whole reason MS Internet Explorer is a foolish choice of browser. Microsoft sells apps that are very integrated with IE, which is why anyone who trusts M$ security statements and solutions is being foolish. They have a conflict of interest in revealing their security issues, and a vested interest in making software very complex to interface with. This surfaced big-time when CodeRed I struck in 1999. That original was only memory resident, and made obvious defacing on webserver home pages, and loudly infecting other webservers very fast, using a horrible flaw in MS webserver software. They issued a fix for the flaw, saying all the web server admin had to do was install the fix and reboot, since the webserver virus was only ram resident. Then CodeRed II came out using the same security flaw in MS webserver software (it was named by the developer who was never caught). That installed a permanent backdoor on the same webservers, made no obvious webserver content changes and went on its merry way quietly infecting lots of webservers more slowly. With all the fools who believed M$ failing to notice the new backdoors because they were only worried about Code Red I and didn't have the energy to read M$ warnings in the fine print or rebuild entire webservers. Remember Nimda? That came out about three months later, using those quiet backdoors to infect not only webservers, but anyone who browsed their webpages with a subset of Nimda. Lesson: never trust M$ with your server software or your browser. [URL='http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=nimda+codered+microsoft+site%3Acert.org&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images']Google "nimda codered microsoft site:cert.org" [/URL] Google wants to be in exactly that same position, providing the apps and the essential tool for using them. I am sure they will do a much better job than M$. They always have. It is just the questionable same-source relationship between apps and browser which isn't a good general security policy. Firefox forever !

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
*To be fair I don't even need physical access if for some reason you ran a VNC server or have Remote Desktop on I could get that info as well, even if I just got command line access I can get most anything. The reason i have faith in Chrome is because they are so avid about it being open sourced, they know how well Firefox thrives because of the open source and the community who helped build it. Any flaws found will be fixed quickly. Don't get me wrong I've loved firefox since 1.5 and i've always downloaded the betas to help them catch flaws. Its a great browser, but Chrome is VERY quick. You can even see in a [url=http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080902-hands-on-with-chrome-googles-browser-shines-mostly.html]bunch[/url] [url=http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10030888-92.html?part=rss]of[/url] [url=http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2481]reviews[/url] that for being in such a early stage it is really impressive. I will still admit that YES its a beta and WILL have [url=http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/security_flaw_in_google_chrome.php]problems[/url]. But give it a chance before you knock it.

Guest RET.MAJ.Pugs
chrome is awful. I hope they fix it, but im still not going to be switching from firefox. It feels flimsy to use, loads a separate process for each tab, does not work with flash applets, locks up for no reason, doesnt save passwords correctly or doesnt input them properly im not sure. Anyway, its just not good and needs a lot of work. Its a decent attempt but firefox is still definately the way to go, and i dont see that changing anytime soon.

Guest bjtardiff
[quote='Ret.Xander=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=39680#post39680']For those of you who are devoted to the internets as much as me, you may be interested to know that today Google released a beta version of their new desktop browser, knowing Google the Beta is pretty close to the final product anyway so I am using it right now. It has taken parts from both Safari's Webkit and Mozilla's Firefox. They also developed their own JS engine that they claim is faster than all current browsers and enhances usability for Web 2.0 apps such as Gmail and Facebook. Another feature that it boasts about is that each tab is its own "sandbox" which means each tab is its own "web browser" the main reason for implementing this is so that if one tab crashes it doesn't affect any of the others and the application won't crash. This is also going to be fully open sourced for the community just like Firefox is, so be expecting a good amount of Add-ons just like Firefox currently has. Currently it is only available for XP/Vista but they are working hard on Linux and Mac versions as well. Without further delay [url]http://www.google.com/chrome[/url] Enjoy[/QUOTE] Hmm google chrome sounds to good to be true. Wait it is 1. there is no security on it. took like 2hours to hack. 2. seperate process for each tab means one window can take up a lot of ram and cpu. 3. No one is going to want to re do all of there apps just for google chrome. 4. It should already work on linxux and Mac why would you or should you have to wait when you can just use firefox 3??? Edit: 5. if your going to make a browser you need it to at least match up to IE 1st.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
[quote='bjtardiff','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=39895#post39895']Hmm google chrome sounds to good to be true. Wait it is 1. there is no security on it. took like 2hours to hack. 2. seperate process for each tab means one window can take up a lot of ram and cpu. 3. No one is going to want to re do all of there apps just for google chrome. 4. It should already work on linxux and Mac why would you or should you have to wait when you can just use firefox 3???[/QUOTE] 1. Its a beta, the reason its a beta is so they can find the security holes before releasing the official version. The same thing happened when Safari was released on windows. 2. Like ellenberg said, this is a feature, this way a single tab can't crash the whole browser (yes FF3 DOES have this problem, after almost a weeks use of Chrome it hasn't crashed once) 3. If your talking about extensions, it won't take much re-doing at all. Its open source just like firefox, and uses many features of firefox, porting over extensions won't be difficult. If your talking about web 2.0 apps, all of them work with Chrome, it was designed to work specifically for web 2.0 apps. 4. Like many cross platform applications certain versions get released before the others. Obviously windows has the majority and would get the most reception and feedback, it is the one they pushed for the quickest release. I'm not saying wait until Chrome comes out to surf the internet again lol, I love FF3 don't get me wrong, but Chrome has been a pleasant surprise and i am very happy with it.

Guest RET.MAJ.Pugs
[quote='SFC.Ellenberg=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=39890#post39890']That's... a feature. Not something to complain about.[/QUOTE] Well its a horrible feature. It doesnt help that the browser doesnt crash if it locks up my computer when i open a few tabs. Firefox's memory usage is not much higher than chrome and i can open 10 tabs and not be anywhere near as close to chromes. And Xander, ive had Chrome crash twice now... well it doesnt exactly crash, it locks up completely and you have to find which chrome.exe to kill in the task manager to end the tab you want to close. I constantly work with multiple tabs and chrome is a total waste of my time to use. Why would I want the CPU and memory usage of 10 browsers being open just to get some tabs open. A FEATURE? Sounds more like its a flaw to me

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Think about the average computer sold these days, its getting to be about 50/50 chance a new computer will have a dual or quad core chip in it. The more cores the more it can process, (I know you know all this pugs but i am using it to make a point) now if your surfing the web and have 5-10 tabs open, thats 5-10 processes running, if you have a quad core 3 GHz that would barely phase just ONE core. Do you really think Google did that and WASN'T thinking about how much processing power it would take and figured a good way to keep it optimized? This is still BETA, but because they released the are able to find as many bugs as possible as quick as possible. It's only been just over a week and there are [url=http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list]1,400 bugs[/url]. And yet it is still a good browser! Imagine after all these bugs get fixed how it will be even better. I am excited for the new releases, I really like Chrome and given enough time i Think more people will start to see the same.

Guest RET.MAJ.Pugs
ok well for new computers it may be ok, but on my laptops it runs like old people having sex. Even on my gaming rig which only has a P4 3.2 with Hyper Threading and 2 gigs ram it runs pretty slow. Also lets think about this. The majority of people buying new computers dont know what they are doing with them in the first place and are going to be running IE on it. Most people who use FF have some knowledge of computers to even know that you CAN have a different browser and that they exist. Most tech savy people use older rigs that arent going to have duo and quad cores and high ram. I really like this clone of FF if it wasnt for the tabbed sandboxes bogging my system.

Archived