Should i overclock?

Guest EPiiKK

Guest EPiiKK

Hey my brothers, i was thinking would it be worth of 40€ cpu cooler to get my clocks on phenom II x4 810 from 2.60 to around 3.00-3.20?

Thanks for the help i dont know too much about technical stuff about computers :)

Guest iNoizZ
Well, a question is. Do you need it? I mean, if you are happy with the speed/performance you get, I shouldn't overclock.

Guest EPiiKK
If you think it is bottle necking at the cpu then sure why not. I would look at CPU usage during your most common tasks.

From what I have been reading the best price for performance after market cooler is the 212 evo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Yeah thats the thing i'm not sure if its bottlenecking.

My other specs are:

GTX 560 TI 1024mb

8gb ddr3 1600mhz

750 watt corsair

win 7 ultimate 64 bit

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
The biggest speed increase you will see is buy getting an SSD. Overclocking IMO gives you a very small % speed increase and it shortens the life of the hardware (thats usually the reason they had them set at a lower speed that possible)

Guest Harkster
The biggest speed increase you will see is buy getting an SSD. Overclocking IMO gives you a very small % speed increase and it shortens the life of the hardware (thats usually the reason they had them set at a lower speed that possible)

SSD really helps with load times. I am loving mine. Don't know about processing power. Most people overclock to get a few extra miles out of a dated product before upgrading. This happens usually when they are trying to wait for the next tick or tock. By overclocking there are many risks such as over doing it or the gradual degrade of the component itself. Because every processor is different none overclock the same and is a testing game on the limit. The higher the voltage you increase the faster the degrade. It will eventually no longer boot at the voltage you set it to and you will have to clock the processor down.

Archived