CPU Not Booting After Installing RAM

Guest RoninWarrior

Guest RoninWarrior

I think I have fried my motherboard and/or RAM modules while replacing/installing them. Long story short, I installed the RAM and smelled a light hit of smoking in my CPU. I shut it down and found out that the sticks weren't properly inserted (EPIC FAIL). Now none of my keyboard lights (CAPS Lock & Num Lock) light up. The activity light on the CPU does not light up. I opened her up and did the memory ok check, which fails with all 4 sticks of memory (both old & new because I was adding to the current memory so I'm sure I fried them both). I'm sure that I just fried the memory and I need to pick up some more. My specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 925

4Gbs DDR3 - 1600 RAM (most likely fried) :-(

ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB 3.0

AMD Radeon HD 6850 - 1Gb - Crossfire

Corsair 750TXV2 - 750 Watts

1Tb HDD 7200rpm

I plan on going to pick up MORE memory tmrw and try NOT to fry those. If anyone else thinks something else has happened, let me know. Thanks.

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=
First I would try testing all the sticks. Insert one stick then try booting the computer. Repeat with all 4 sticks. Even if a few were not inserted it is unlikely that would short them out, especially all of them. Usually what happens when RAM is not inserted properly and you boot the computer you will hear beep letting you know something is wrong.

Guest RoninWarrior

I hear no beeps. I do receive a solid DRAM LED and I did smell a light hint of burned plastic though. I will test each one. And yes, I turned it off.

UPDATE

After testing, the DRAM LED is indeed the one that stays on. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest RoninWarrior

Problem determined.

Diagnosis: fried DRAM connectors on Motherboard

Will be ordering one and waiting for it to arrive in the mail IN JAPAN. So I'll be active on the site but not in game until it gets here whenever that will be.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

Are you sure you fried the connectors on the motherboard?, your referring to the RAM slots right?.

Its near impossible to directly fry those, normally you'll blow a choke/cap/trace long before you burn the ram slots themselves.

Guest RoninWarrior

I don't see any burn damage on the RAM itself. That could only mean the mobo was burned. I've also had it checked out by a comp recognition who determined the same thing.

Guest MrGravy79
i hope ur april foolsing us.. if not, u prolly spilled ur liquor into ur comp while installing the ram... ya know, bend over to put it in with the bottle and not pay attention.. woops, spilled my drink right into the heat sink... could possibly cause complications inside ur system.. just sayin... sir... happy sunday..

Archived