Darn :/

Guest PainKiller

Guest PainKiller

So about 10 minutes or so ago i was playing BF3 with others from the clan, I noticed a sort of burnt plastic smell, I got down and went to small around my Computer and as I did i saw blue sparks shoot out the back of my computer where the power plug is, I waited a few and soon after saw orange sparks, I then unplugged and took everything (plugs) out of it. It still smells like burnt plastic.

Moments before I had cleaned it with the duster thing so perhaps dust got forced up there and caused too much heat? idk, but all I did was pull off the side panel and clean it like I normally have. Any idea as to what happened, how it can be fixed, and how to see if I need a new PSU or Computer?

Hope someone can help.

(Also my temp inside was not that hot compared to what it normally is)

Guest Tacun
What power supply do you have? I have seen some power supplies completely catch fire and melt the components inside the power supply.

Guest h4344
Were the sparks coming out of the wall power or the computer? Your computer might be ok if the wall was just freaking. If not than i would say a new PSU at most, some PSU's actually will take themselves down if the power freaks to prevent damage to other parts.

Guest PainKiller
Were the sparks coming out of the wall power or the computer? Your computer might be ok if the wall was just freaking. If not than i would say a new PSU at most, some PSU's actually will take themselves down if the power freaks to prevent damage to other parts.

It is an Asus 700W and I saw it come out the back of the PC where the plug goes for the power, I also see very minor burns on the metal prongs of the PSU plug in. I was not looking at the wall but it looks fine, and so does that ends plug in. I do not see any burned wires but I smell purnt plastic through out the Computer, My dad said if it is fried then it wont fry anything else, I am just worried that if I plug it in and turn it on that it will spark again and then will fry everything. What do you think bout that?

and to clarify it sparked twice, Once was bright blue and a lot of it, the second was delayed about 5 seconds and it was a yellow orange and not too much of it came out. after that I pulled it out.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
Probably a power surge, you should always use a surge protection adaptor. Though i'm surprised, i thought PSUs these days had lots of things stop stop it happening

Guest Harkster
It does sound like a power surge since the sparks were coming out of the power cord connected to the PSU. Dust would not have gotten in there.

Guest PainKiller
well my parents say it was not a power surge but idk, and my PSU is open on the bottom so I could stick a paperclip from fan up to the top of the PSU case so maybe I did actually get too much dust in there causing it to heat, expose a wire and spark? But yeah I figured I will just take it in to Geek Squad, dad thinks its one of my components that caused a malfunction in the chain, and it was not the PSU's fault

Archived