The new budget buster, I guess

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

GTX 680 was publicly released sometime in the last few days, already a lot of reviews on it though. I haven't had time to read any but I would be interested to know what it puts out, how it stacks up to the closely rated amd 7970 all comes down to testing and price differences. Pricing seems lower than I thought, around £420 is the lowest I've seen which is only about £20 more than my gtx 580 that I got less than 6 months ago ( and mine is probably one of the most expensive 580s). The expensive gtx 590 and 6990 are still dominant with their 3 and 4gb memories.

Interesting stuff anyway, 2gb ddr5 , first pcie 3.0 host so loads of bandwidth increase. Kepler is the new thing. Smallest ever 28nm processor. New gpu boost feature that, from reviews, is getting mixed feedback as it auto over clocks and cannot be switched off. Quote "a benchmarking nightmare" as the same card in two different systems will produce results that vary a lot. This stuff essentially saves you money as core voltage and clock speed will be reduced unless the card thinks you really need it. You can also set a frame rate lock so that unnecessary frame rates are reduced and again the card will thus lower the voltage useage and clock speed again, reducing power useage and essentially your electricity bill. Snazzy.

Support for up to 4 displays on a single card. Some new vsync adaptive features I'm not sure about.

Benchmark reviews show it going toe to toe with the 7970, beating and losing against each other on various games. The general pattern is that the 680 is better than the 7970. Importantly for us lot, it beats the 7970 by 16% and the previous gtx 580 by 33% in battlefield 3. It's quieter than any other major card, uses less power than most and is around standard on temperature, albeit low at a max of 80c in Arkham city.

All in all it's the fastest single gpu card, and has dethroned the 7970.

All this data courtesy of hexus.net review. Just one of random I picked.

yeah i was thinking exactly the same. as much as i wanna get another of my 580s im not sure it would be worth it. Though unlike you i didnt get a pcie3 mobo so i dunno. in the end i dont need anything soon, so i may just wait.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

I have a PCIE 3.0 MB.

So once they come out with more cards I may purchase and SLi we will see though.

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
I have a PCIE 3.0 MB.

So once they come out with more cards I may purchase and SLi we will see though.

The General must be training in Vegas again. Money is no object. :)

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
I'm seriously starting to consider saving up to overhaul my current build (or build anew). I was considering getting the cash to crossfire two 7970s but the 680 is so much more powerful and $100 less.

Guest Harkster
I went ahead and bought one. This is a huge upgrade from my gtx 250. just have to buy my new cpu and mobo when Ivy Bridge comes out.

Archived