Tech Help ASAP Please!

Guest Soldat1288

Guest Soldat1288
Okay, so I updated my motherboard and video card BIOS. I cleared my CMOS, and even removed the battery. I keep getting stupid BOOTMGR is missing error... I've tried repairing my Win7. It said it repaired it, but I'm still getting this error. If I have to reformat, then I'm done; I won't. My internet speed is too slow to get everything back. It took me at least 5 days to download and install BF3, which I can barely play anyhow. Doesn't seem worth it to me if reformatting is my only option...

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

1. Insert windows repair disk

2. Click repair computer

3. Click cancel

4. Click command prompt

5. In the command prompt type "bootrec /fixboot" without the quotes

6. Press enter and restart pc.

That should work.

Guest Soldat1288
1. Insert windows repair disk

2. Click repair computer

3. Click cancel

4. Click command prompt

5. In the command prompt type "bootrec /fixboot" without the quotes

6. Press enter and restart pc.

That should work.

Don't have the option to click cancel or bring up a command prompt, lol. But you already knew that. :p

Guest Soldat1288

Update:

I am able to boot up without having my second HD attached. My primary HD is SATA, and my secondary is IDE. I NEED my second HD though. My computer doesn't run right without, and I have way too much valuable stuff on it including games. Tried hooking it back up, and rebooting, but still get that BOOTMGR is missing error. I have really no way of getting my files off that 2nd HD and reformatting that thing. Any and all suggestions would be helpful at this moment. I feel like I've tried everything... :-(

As a last resort you could always borrow a HDD off a friend for a day and just put your files on that, and then reformat your second HDD and transfer the files back.

But i'm sure you will be able to get that second drive working if you manage to open the recovery console on the windows disk.

Guest Tacun
Have you tried going into the boot section of your bios and making sure that when the second HDD is plugged in whichever one has windows on it is the first one it tries to boot from??

Guest Soldat1288
Have you tried going into the boot section of your bios and making sure that when the second HDD is plugged in whichever one has windows on it is the first one it tries to boot from??
Yes, the boot order is correct.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Yes, the boot order is correct.

...only because I've made the below mistakes before... :p

If you already have a different utility to do the below, that's fine. It looks like either your master boot record is corrupt or your bootloader isn't sure what to point at by default with the external plugged in. Did you ever have a dual boot environment loaded? If so, the bootloader might be looking at a drive letter/volume assignment that the system is giving to your external when it's plugged in. Especially likely if at any point you did have dual booting going on, you re-formatted to get rid of that OS, and did not update the boot loader.

Try EasyBCD to repair your bootloader: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml

There's plenty of documentation on their website: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/EasyBCD+Documentation+Home

At the very least, you can use this utility to confirm that your boot loader is NOT the problem, as you should only see one entry pointing at your OS.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

Sounds like to me, you have the wrong hard drive as your first boot device. Usually you get the boot manager problem when you boot from the non-windows hard drive first.

Have you changed this to boot off the SATA? It could be the stupid JDMicron issue, its the feature that supports IDE(ribbon cable drives). It could be trying to boot from them both and confusing itself.. I have seen it, lol.

Guest Soldat1288
You should always have atleast a 1 TB external drive! Now go get one!
Dang it, Tek! I got laid off three months ago, have yet to find a job in this recession. So, no, I can't get one. I should've got one before, but never thought this garbage would happen.

Guest Soldat1288
...only because I've made the below mistakes before... :p

If you already have a different utility to do the below, that's fine. It looks like either your master boot record is corrupt or your bootloader isn't sure what to point at by default with the external plugged in. Did you ever have a dual boot environment loaded? If so, the bootloader might be looking at a drive letter/volume assignment that the system is giving to your external when it's plugged in. Especially likely if at any point you did have dual booting going on, you re-formatted to get rid of that OS, and did not update the boot loader.

Try EasyBCD to repair your bootloader: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml

There's plenty of documentation on their website: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/EasyBCD+Documentation+Home

At the very least, you can use this utility to confirm that your boot loader is NOT the problem, as you should only see one entry pointing at your OS.

I never had a dual boot going on. Use this program with just my one HD plugged in? I only see one entry, that's set as default.

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
You should always have atleast a 1 TB external drive! Now go get one!

I've had more external drives die than hard drives. :) Hows many backup drives do you need of your backup drive?

Guest Soldat1288
freakin little miny gary busey's, never know what their gonna do next
Oh geez! I laughed so hard at that!

Update:

I think it's fixed. Don't ask me how, but like Subo said, freakin' little mini Gary Busey's.

I've had more external drives die than hard drives. :) Hows many backup drives do you need of your backup drive?

Always one on-site, and one offsite, backed up daily/weekly depending on need. :D, but who really bothers :D.

If you check out Hiren's Boot CD it has the proper utilities to fix BOOT MGR's. I fixed 3 with it so far and I work at a help desk.

Archived