How do you drive?

Guest Flyer

Guest Flyer
So at work one day we had a discussion on how you drive. With either one foot or two feet. Everyone said they use one foot and then me who uses two feet. Well after I had said that everyone was like are you crazy, how can you drive like that, blah blah, etc etc. So im curious how do you guys drive?

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

Auto all the time, 1 foot. I never got the timing down to drive manual well so it's actually worth it - I blame the shift points... :p

I tried driving with both feet a few times, it just feels really strange, like I'm getting in my own way.

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=
Well i drive automatic and i use two feet. Maybe i should have been more specific lol

That is a bit strange....hehe but whatever you are most comfortable with is the way to do it.

The car I'm working on is a manual but for the moment I'm driving an automatic D:

Guest Flyer
That is a bit strange....hehe but whatever you are most comfortable with is the way to do it.

The car I'm working on is a manual but for the moment I'm driving an automatic D:

Lol. Idk what it is but for me its comfortable to use 2 feet while driving. I guess its strange to most people lol

Guest miyamotogL

Two.

Left foot = clutch

Right foot = brake + gas (both at the same time when rev-matching downshifts)

My father would beat me if I drove with 2 feet wile driving an automatic.

Same

Guest Seiph3r
Depends... sometimes I use one hand with a foot for shifting my 6 speed bike. 1 foot and 1 hand, otherwise manuals.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
I drive backwards!

Yeah!

Are you sure you didn't rebind your mouse so you could drive with that? :D

Guest Tacun

Two feet. Automatics transmissions make me sleep. Manual is a requirement for me. Much easier to hoon around as well.

And SMG's dont count :+)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Harbinger
It depends I have a bike and a car bike requires that you drive with your right hand(throttle) left hand(clutch lever) your left foot(Shifter) and your right foot(rear brake). My car was originally auto but its been converted to stick so you pretty much have to drive with 2 feet clutch/brake clutch/gas. Its not good to drive autos with two feet because your left foot can get in the way of your right which can cause an accident.

Guest miyamotogL
It depends I have a bike and a car bike requires that you drive with your right hand(throttle) left hand(clutch lever) your left foot(Shifter) and your right foot(rear brake). My car was originally auto but its been converted to stick so you pretty much have to drive with 2 feet clutch/brake clutch/gas. Its not good to drive autos with two feet because your left foot can get in the way of your right which can cause an accident.

Also can cause excessive brake wear if you accidentally combine throttle and brakes; however, using both feet is a valid technique in road racing if the car is neutral handling. By keeping some throttle during turn-in, you can mitigate the weight transfer to the front wheels and turn-in at a higher speed without oversteer. There was discussion a couple years ago in the iRacing forums including videos of some major pro-drivers using this technique (IIRC one of them was an ex INDY driver that switched to Nascar; the video was from Sears Point). Michael Schumacher uses both feet in F1. This more than likely has to do with drivers that start out in Karts as the steering column is between the pedals preventing the right foot from braking. Also might be needed if you cannot lift off the throttle without oversteering, tap the brake with the left foot.

The general idea is as follows:

• Left foot clutch | Right foot brake + gas while downshifting (rev-matching the downshift to prevent the car from lurching/shaking to maximize the friction potential of the tires while braking - also mitigates wear on the clutch + transmission)
  • Once in the correct gear for the corner, transfer left foot to brake (maintaining the even-pressure that was supplied by the right foot)
  • Transfer right foot to gas and apply light throttle (5-10%) while reducing brake pressure in preparation for turn-in
  • Turn-in while reducing brake pressure smoothly until foot is off brake
  • Apex, should be off brake and smoothly increasing throttle*
  • Track-out, should be full throttle by this point

This technique is better applied for sprint racing as it will most definitely cause more brake wear! This is something that would never be done during an endurance race (4+ hours). As I do not have a nice team to pay for new brakes on my car, I do not do this. Since most of my driving is on regular roads, I do not need to worry about getting every last morsel of speed in corners.

For the most part it is

(or
)if the car naturally understeers (most street cars).

* If the car accelerates slowly, you should turn-in slower and tighter and get on the accelerator as soon as the car is pointed at the apex (rather than rolling into the apex). Generally the extra time on the throttle will mean a higher speed by the time to brake for the next corner.

Guest Flyer

Actually my feet don't get in the way of each other. I've never had any trouble before.

Archived