Steam Box

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

Well, after rumours and rumours expanding it seems that it may well be true about valves "Steam Box". For a little while rumours were going that valve were going to create another console to compete alongside Xbox and PS3 which would be directly linked with the current steam software.

Over the last 24 hours it has exploded, rumours on every major gaming site that it will be announced at this weeks GDC (where we are expected to see BF3 announcements too). Could this be the beginning of the end for PC gaming? Are VALVE going to be the first to cross the line and start dropping PC titles? Rumours suggest any PC Steam title will work on the console, so its a case of logging in and playing with a controller. I guess being VALVE pc and keyboard support will work. Rumours suggest also that VALVE has successfully placed a bid to patent their own controller, and ( i quote )

The box is said to be based around the Intel i7 processor with Nvidia graphics and 8GB of RAM. It will run any PC title and support additional digital distribution services like Origin from EA. Once in place, it will run any PC title.

Watch Woodys video on it here

also just google "Steam Box" and youll find a million links within the last 24 hours about it all.

Should be an exciting week for gaming gentlemen!

Guest DrPretender
Sound more like a PC your buying to play with Valve's controller :D

Yeah indeed. The rumor is that it will be based on the alienware X51

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
Yeah indeed. The rumor is that it will be based on the alienware X51

Did PFC.BigMac hack into PO1.DrPretender's account? He seemed awful excited to point out that it was based on an Alienware machine :)

Guest Doubleome

Not sure what to think. If they take an PC approach to this and make sure Xbox and ps3 cant compete im all for it. And they only way the can make it work is if they drag all PC gamers with them. BF3 running on consoles with a locked 30 FPS, not a single pc gamer will ever settle for that.

Just wonder how they can put I7, and equivalent powered Nvidia GPU in a box and keep the heat and noise down.

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=
Not that I go about getting banned from stuff, but what happens if you're banned from Steam's services? Does it brick your system? I'll pass.

Guest EPiiKK

Thing that interests me are the prices. I mean with hardware like that prices might go pretty high, unless valve got like super awesome offers from hardware developers...

At least it would make microsoft and sony to put some more power on their upcoming consoles, i mean the next xbox is gonna have mid-low end gpu according to some rumors...

Guest iNoizZ
Yeah, saw it yesterday. Does it has it's own OS? Can you play other games than the ones you buy from steam on it?

Guest Doubleome
Read a few differnt things about OS. It was either Linux or linux based OS made by Valve, problem is atm Linux doesnt have the budget to really help build a new OS for such a powerful machine for games.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

The question is: cross-platform gaming? When Microsoft ported Microsoft Game Studios over to XBox and shuffled a bunch of departments around to support a console rather than a PC exclusive environment, that was the big question. They tried it, cut it, and forgot about it forever. Now we have another major studio/name behind titles making the same switch... so again... cross-platform gaming?

If yes, I could care less about a new console... I'll keep my gaming rig up to speed and keep right on going.

If no.... it gets a big trickier. With BF3 being PC-first console-second, EA just made what could be the last huge push for PC gamers.

Since it's being built around a standard CPU/GPU architecture, then the game development companies already have everything they need to dev games for the new box. That would make it more likely than ever for cross-platform gaming to work. You don't need completely different servers to host games, you don't need to invest in some massive dev framework, and the market already has the necessary hardware. Actually, it wouldnt' even really be cross-platform, honestly, since some of the previous posts are 100% correct that this is really more like a gamer-specific PC where you get Valve instead of Windows.

Stand fast, PC gamers, and hold the line.

Archived