Overclocking i5-2500k and Asus Z68 Pro.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

I've tried anything and everything to overclock my machine, but no matter what i do the core speed isn't going up from the default 3.3 GHz. I've enabled turbo mode, tried it in both auto and manually setting it to like 4.2 GHz and after i reboot nothing has changed. DIGI +VRM settings are all set to very high or extreme. Tried changing voltage on chip to about 1.2 volts, with no dice. Running CPUz shows core voltage going anywhere from 0.8 up to 1.05 when on both auto and manually set at 1.2 GHz. Core speed shown always at about 1648MHz (Core 0, assuming all are set about the same) multiplier at x 16.0 and bus speed at 103MHz. I've tried running the auto-overclock program but that comes up with the same results, tells me ive overclocked to 4.2 GHZ but nothing has changed.

Could it be that my Turbo setting doesn't register the need for more CPU? Thus keeping it where it is? I know ThievingSix is one person who has the same setup as i do, maybe i should talk to you about it if youve tried OCing haha.

Overclocked my last PC perfectly fine with no troubles, but this one seems to just not want to OC for me.

Any help, much appreciated!

CrAzY

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
It has been decided in the Intel/PA department that you do not need a hardware advantage to play video games. I'm sorry but nothing you try will work.

It has been decided in the Intel/PA department that you do not need a hardware advantage to play video games. I'm sorry but nothing you try will work.

Well if you dont want me to be able to record smoother videos and teach you all how to play like a pro, then fine! haha.

Thanks for the advice Tacun, though that guide ive read before and it suggests contrary to what you said about turbo. It says to keep it on. Soo i'll test that out tomorrow.

Guest xSubo
i had problems at first with overclocking my i5 2500k and the turbo mode and smart oc mode both didn't work out of the bios, just had to adjust the numbers manually, and a previous mobo i had was so crappy that it made it hard to do that, might just be the way you actually enter in the data to oc in the bios

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=

Great ... give Crazy a hardware advantage and watch neat movies with excellent commentary or not?

To be, or not to be, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The AEK-971 and L85A2 of the outrageous Commander,

Or to take arms against a sea of technology

And by opposing end them.

HAHA! We meet again ski! One doth proclaim his shakespearian tongue, but doth one have thy minerals to beat the briton?

I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed!

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The bullets and explosions of outrageous skill,

Or to take arms against a sea of russians,

And by opposing end them? Hax? lol

Guest h4344

Hey commander :D

Im being pretty general with this info so if you already know most of it just ignore it lol.

Ok first thing only use the BIOS to manually adjust the settings to overclock a CPU. You will get the same results if not better from doing it yourself because instead of guessing like a program does you will actually see the results of your overclock settings since every chip is different. Next, dont just crank the Core to a high setting and expect it to run. I've done that before when i first started OC'ing and sometimes if the CPU dosent have enough voltage it will just return to stock for safety. Also you have to look into overclocking your north bridge. This will help improve the OC's stability and will actually allow it to work. My current 4.0Ghz OC wouldn't work for me until i upped the NB to 2400. (probably wasn't feeding it enough voltage but at least this way im not pumping 1.5v into my chip.) So start off at your stock settings and just go up little by little on the core until it becomes unstable then feed it some more voltage until your satisfied or until your chip is about to become fried chicken.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
The board we're using has a bios setting that auto clocks the core up and down based upon the need. I can't remember the specific BIOS option, but i turned it off even though i haven't over clocked my machine. ASUS also has software that interfaces with it, i believe its AI tuner or something like that, you'll want to uninstall it.

Guest xSubo
look for the speed step multiplier, sandy bridge's aren't truly able to overclock, really just that speed step mulitplier is what you need to look for

Guest Phynex
Any thoughts that his reading are really the problem and not the OC? IS it not also prudent he IS OCing his machine but just has a broken gauge?

Guest redleg85
Asus has a program called VTurbo. Thats what I used, gave me a 18% increase. It runs its own stability test and stuff. However, im not sureif it is available for download. It came with my install disc for my motherboard. Might be worth looking into.

The board we're using has a bios setting that auto clocks the core up and down based upon the need. I can't remember the specific BIOS option, but i turned it off even though i haven't over clocked my machine. ASUS also has software that interfaces with it, i believe its AI tuner or something like that, you'll want to uninstall it.

Ah that program runs every time i boot up. I'll get rid of it now, i tried OCing with this program first time but it tends to want to crash me lol

Archived