Handguns

Guest BlkWtrFox

Guest BlkWtrFox
So, I'm moving to a new area with my wife, buying a handgun for recreation, but its primary purpose is home defense. Definitely stuck on .45 cal. Can't decide between GLOCK 21, or 30, and the FNH 45 tac. Any suggestions?

Guest Seiph3r

I just purchased a Springfield XD in .40 and I love it, carry it at work (even though Chicago has a no handgun in city limit ordinance), I would love to own one in .45 too or the XDM even.

http://i.imgur.com/GuViE.jpg

If you like the 1911 look then kimber makes one of the best out of the box shooters, .45 for the win. Love mine too.

Guest RET.SGT.iambrian=US=
I have a glock 19 and love it.. it is much lighter than the springfield (which was my 2nd choice). I am a pretty good shot, so a .45 is just expensive ammo for me, especially when it comes to buying hollow-point ammo. You would get just as much stopping power for a fraction of the price with the .40.. but that is just me. Also, I would stick to either glock, springfield, or S&W. Sig makes a great gun, but it is very very expensive. I don't know much about the FNH overall, but it seems to me, both from owning and reading reviews, the glock is going to be your best bang for the buck. Hugely reliable, at a not too horrible price. In order to get something that exceeds glocks quality (which of course is possible), you will be shelling up at least double the money. So, if you are target shooting and using for home defense, you really dont need some thousand dollar handgun that can be thrown in a fire, shot at, and tossed off a cliff and still work.. which leads to the Taurus debate.. I personally have never shot one, but.. my cousin has 3 of them, and in the 5 years he has daily carried them, he has not had a single malfunction, and they are even cheaper than the glock. Sorry for the long post.. guns excite me lol

Guest Seiph3r
Sorry for the long post.. guns excite me lol

Welcome to the club. lol.

You are correct regarding reliability for your $, go with a new Gen4 glock, or Springfield. I went with springfield as it has a beaver tail safety meaning you have to grip the pistol to fire it, glock there isn't a beaver tail safety meaning if I have an altercation with someone while I'm at work, he can in essence discharge my pistol (or me) from any position.

who needs safety's :lol: but honestly, that beavertail is just as dangerous as having the trigger blade in the glock. In order to get it out of the holster you need to grab the grip, essentially taking it off safe. The XD has a much lighter trigger pull than the glock though. what is it, like 3 lbs or something compared to the glocks 5.5 lbs.. That trigger isnt getting pulled unless i pull it.

Guest Seiph3r
If your drawing your pistol from a retention holdster rarely am I gripping the pistol until I bring it up. My pinky finger and my index are the only fingers doing the work. My first finger is alongside the frame and the middle is disengaging the retention button. Under pressure it isn't natural for me to grip the firearm until it's on its upward travel, it's how I was trained. And the trigger safety has little function for me honestly. My finger is usually protecting the trigger well anyway. The need for one is odd to me, if my finger is in the trigger well upon unholstering my weapon... I need to step back and re-evaluate. ;)

Guest MadButcher
Springfield XDM in .40 S&W it holds 16 rounds it is a mtach grade gun and I have never seen it jam. The 40 S&W has basically the same as a 45 ( With the heaviest grain bullets the 45 still has a small advantage). 40 S&W is cheaper than 45 and it can be hand loaded for some pretty impressive speeds.

Guest RET.W01.Wright=US=

""LCpl.Seiph3r=US=

If your drawing your pistol from a retention holdster rarely am I gripping the pistol until I bring it up. My pinky finger and my index are the only fingers doing the work. My first finger is alongside the frame and the middle is disengaging the retention button. Under pressure it isn't natural for me to grip the firearm until it's on its upward travel, it's how I was trained. And the trigger safety has little function for me honestly. My finger is usually protecting the trigger well anyway. The need for one is odd to me, if my finger is in the trigger well upon unholstering my weapon... I need to step back and re-evaluate. ""

Buddy i suggest you take some classes. the FIRST thing you do before ever drawing a weapon is establish your grip WHILE the weapon is holsterd. the proper draw is establish your grip, clear the Holster, center the weapon on your body, then extend out. What kind of holster are you refering?? every holster is a rentention holster if not it would just fall out. there are several types of rention and what your describing with a button sound to be a SERPA. if thats the case you disengage with the trigger finger.

Cert. Glock armorer

Cert. CCW instructer

Cert. NCPPSB Armed instructor

Guest Spyder5
It still blows me away you can just rock around with handguns. Theyre illegal in NZ and our cops dont even need guns. unless it AoS then they have some. If youre seen with a gun outside of a farm , youre locked up and tested for insanity you never get to have a firearm lisence again. Basically if you need a weapon outside of a farm type situation youre considered a nutter/dangerous. Bearing in mind "the right to bear arms" thing was put through in a time of war and held on to cos the people wanted it - fair enough in a way , but as a tourist type i will never go anywhere you can just pull out a weapon , ever.

Guest RET.LCDR.2DyESaMuRi=US=
FN all day. best designed weapons out there. They are tested to not fail. an FN weapon will last you a lifetime.

in most states, in order to carry you need to go through safety classes so you arent just whipping out guns everywhere.. but, at the same time, a criminal is going to carry a gun no matter what the law is.. so, if law abiding people are armed, it makes the desire for a criminal to pull his out much less desirable. And about the grip thing, I guess it kind of depends on the holster. In my IWB i can usually get about 2 fingers and a strong grip on it, so if i needed to aquire the target right on the draw, i would be able to, but with an OWB i couldnt imagine not getting my full shooting grip on it before unholstering.. its too bad we dont get to use handguns in training for Infantry, i would have liked to have gotten some more training on it without having to pay for a class

Archived