Hard Drive Help

Guest BigMac530

Guest BigMac530

How do I take another hard drive from a used computer which has Win Vista installed, wipe it, and use it as a secondary hard drive in my computer?

I'm doing this to improve gaming stability while recording with FRAPS, not for more space(1.5 TB).

Guest BigMac530
PS The other HD is still in the other computer, can I take it out and format it on my computer when i do learn how to format it?

Guest RET.Capt.DoggyRanger=US=

Should work...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disk-management-windows-7.htm

Make sure to format the right drive...

Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.

In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.

In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.

When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.

Guest miyamotogL
Take it out of the old computer and put it in your computer. There could be an issue if you do not have the connectors for the HD. For example, my motherboard only supports SATA. Once it is hooked up, I would do the reformat using either the Windows install CD, a repair tools CD (Trinity Rescue Disk, BartPE, etc.), or a Linux Live CD. You never know what gumbo might be on that old disk.

Archived