Rig officially dead...

Guest Revolutor

Guest Revolutor

Hey guys.

So my computer wasn't working... i removed the RAM and tried but still same issue...

Removed my ATI 4870 X2 GPU and the following happend... (YOUTUBE)

So... any chance my GPU or CPU has taken damage when the computer first crashed or wouldn't start up?

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Upon first look it would seem your mobo is faulty, but it could also easily be your power supply sending over too much voltage. If it was your power supply there is a chance that it could've fried your card, but doubtful about the CPU. If the mobo was at fault there is a bigger chance of your CPU could've been affected instead of your GPU. I would defiantly show that video to MSI and demand a refund, that shouldn't happen ever.

After looking at the video again my guess is that there is a faulty capacitor on the mobo. Working in a computer warehouse I saw similar things happen with computers (Specfically Dell GX260's, small form factor) that whole lineup was full of bad caps. 3/4 of those machines that came in had burn marks on the mobo from fried caps. I have a feeling MSI may also be using some bad caps.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
I had bad caps on my ASUS board and it had to be RMA'd but it was never in flames, just a puff of smoke before i hit the off button. I have a feeling though it did damage my GFX card but i can't link it 100%. I had to have my GFX card replaced because of crashing issues when the new motherboard arrived.

Guest Revolutor
It did smell like burned Capacitors, that sour stink it gives :) Well the card is probably 4 years old now so i guess it won't help much, but ofc i can send them an email :) My question now is wheater to buy a new mobo alone or if i have to "test" the CPU and GPU some other place...

Archived