bf3.exe CONSTANTLY CRASHING ARRRGHHHHH!

Guest TeKNoTroNiK

Guest TeKNoTroNiK

I am trying to figure out what is causing my computer to randomly crash and I cannot figure out why.

Description of crash: Game plays perfectly normal and randomly crash freezes with mouse cursor on the center of the screen. I press any key and it says Bf3.exe has stopped working. My computer runs all other games 100% flawless.

Crash Dump:

Faulting application name: bf3.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ece50fa

Faulting module name: bf3.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ece50fa

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x002a4957

Faulting process id: 0x3f4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cccf29dc4de73b

Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe

Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe

Report Id: 20510b40-3b20-11e1-8016-ebbb83b43ced

What I know: My computer is quite capable to play this

Specs:

Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz OC'ed to 3.0 Ghz @ temp 34C under full game load

(Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 heat sink

4 gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066 @ 1333 with 4-4-4-12 timings.

MSI P6N SLi Platinum motherboard

1 TB Western Digital Black 7,200 rpm hard drive

Windows 7 64 Ultimate

MSI GTX 560 Ti 1 gb card (using card with HDMI to go into my reciever with audio/video)

BFG 550 Watt power supply

What I have tried.

Video card: MSI GTX 560 Ti

Temp: max 55c

Increasing Core voltage (mV) from stock to 1.062v

Core Clock 800 mhz

Shader Clock 1600 mhz

Memory Clock 2100 mhz

Audio:

Disabled on-board audio in BIOS and push all sound through my video card or my USB headset

The issues started occurring after upgrading my graphics card from a 9800 GTX+ to the 560 Ti but issues only occur with this game. I am currently using the most up to date nVidia beta drivers. All drivers on the system (chipsets) etc. are up to date. If anyone has suggestions please update me

Guest TeKNoTroNiK

First working fix gets $20.00!!

I am trying to figure out what is causing my computer to randomly crash and I cannot figure out why.

Description of crash: Game plays perfectly normal and randomly crash freezes with mouse cursor on the center of the screen. I press any key and it says Bf3.exe has stopped working. My computer runs all other games 100% flawless.

Crash Dump:

Faulting application name: bf3.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ece50fa

Faulting module name: bf3.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4ece50fa

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x002a4957

Faulting process id: 0x3f4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cccf29dc4de73b

Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe

Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 3\bf3.exe

Report Id: 20510b40-3b20-11e1-8016-ebbb83b43ced

What I know: My computer is quite capable to play this

Specs:

Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz OC'ed to 3.0 Ghz @ temp 34C under full game load

(Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 heat sink

4 gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066 @ 1333 with 4-4-4-12 timings.

MSI P6N SLi Platinum motherboard

1 TB Western Digital Black 7,200 rpm hard drive

Windows 7 64 Ultimate

MSI GTX 560 Ti 1 gb card (using card with HDMI to go into my reciever with audio/video)

BFG 550 Watt power supply

What I have tried.

Video card: MSI GTX 560 Ti

Temp: max 55c

Increasing Core voltage (mV) from stock to 1.062v

Core Clock 800 mhz

Shader Clock 1600 mhz

Memory Clock 2100 mhz

Audio:

Disabled on-board audio in BIOS and push all sound through my video card or my USB headset

The issues started occurring after upgrading my graphics card from a 9800 GTX+ to the 560 Ti but issues only occur with this game. I am currently using the most up to date nVidia beta drivers. All drivers on the system (chipsets) etc. are up to date. If anyone has suggestions please update me

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

You're not alone in this problem at all... a Google search for "Exception code: 0xc0000005 bf3.exe" yielded quite a few results.

Few things that I found after searching that you could try

go to My Documents > Battlefield 3 > settings and look for a file called PROF_SAVE_body. Mine was 0 bytes. Someone else suggested deleting the entire folder to fix it... and that fixed it, but I lost all my key bindings. I looked at the file sizes to compare and I noted that the default size for PROF_SAVE_body is like 1000k. I renamed the 'default' folder that was created when the game finally launched, then I restored my old settings and then renamed the 0k version of the file to PROF_SAVE_body.bak and copied in the PROF_SAVE_body file in from the other folder.

This fixed my issue and allowed me to keep all my key bindings.

In short:

Go to My Documents

Go to Battlefield 3 folder

rename the settings folder to settings.old

Launch the game to see if it works. If it does, swap those files around and see if it works for you.

Windows 7/Windows Vista

* In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.

* In the command prompt type this exactly:

bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

Then hit enter.

* Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.

* Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.

* Changes take effect on reboot.

Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

TO UNDO THE CHANGES

Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.

Reboot and you are back to normal.

Details on "bcdedit" here for those technically inclined: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542202(v=vs.85).aspx **I'd give it about 50/50 odds of doing anything at all if you're a 64-bit user, but certainly worth trying since it's just as easy to put back.

GIGABYTE 560Ti USERS:

Please check the manufacturer website for a BIOS update for your card. It may be a fast fix for you (thanks Thelmos) :)

GV-N560OC-1GI - http://tinyurl.com/6b828cg [tinyurl.com]

I know that says GIGABYTE 560TI, but it may still be worth looking at the MSI site to see if they have a firmware update of some kind you can apply.

Can't say for sure any of the above will work, but it's worth a shot probably since it sounds like you're at your wits end anyway.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Your crashing symptoms and your GFx card I believe are related. Many people who have BF3 issues have that 560 Ti card. At least from what I have heard other members say. I have a GTX 470 and have had 0 crashes since the first patch came out months ago. I know others who have similar cards also aren't having issues.

Do you have another card you could try the game out with? Even if you have to crank the graphics down, try it out for a few hours and see if the crash still happens. But I would bet it has to do with that GFx card.

Guest TeKNoTroNiK

The memory allocation issue fix only applies to 32-bit Operating Systems. I am running 64-bit and running this command can cause the game to to even launch

Defib was having issues with his and he said he fixed it by allocating more RAM to BF3.

Guest TeKNoTroNiK

I have tried #1 with a bf3 config editor (with deleting the entire folder as well and allowing a rebuild)

#2 applies to 32-bit versions of Windows

#3 MSI's Live Update 5 indicates that I have the newest version of the BIOS on my card.

You're not alone in this problem at all... a Google search for "Exception code: 0xc0000005 bf3.exe" yielded quite a few results.

Few things that I found after searching that you could try

Details on "bcdedit" here for those technically inclined: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542202(v=vs.85).aspx **I'd give it about 50/50 odds of doing anything at all if you're a 64-bit user, but certainly worth trying since it's just as easy to put back.

I know that says GIGABYTE 560TI, but it may still be worth looking at the MSI site to see if they have a firmware update of some kind you can apply.

Can't say for sure any of the above will work, but it's worth a shot probably since it sounds like you're at your wits end anyway.

Guest TeKNoTroNiK
Keep sending suggestions everyone! I want to be able to play games for over 30 minutes. I have a feeling that since others are having the same crash as me that the game needs patched or nvidia must tweak the drivers.

Guest RET.Capt.Snipedeath=US=
You could try rolling back the drivers on the vid card and see if it works---beta's usually aren't a good thing most of the time--just my 2 cents.

Guest TeKNoTroNiK
I have been using beta drivers simply for the fact that the others were no better. The odd thing is some times I can play several games without crashing than other times it is several times a game. It seems that it is occurring at times during sound events. ( crashing when crashing against the ground or getting hit and having explosions.)

Guest TwistedKa0s
my game never crashs anymore.... it did on the 2nd patch...... but since that latest patch i have had no crashs.... so nivida is ur issue lol ati ftw!!!!!!!

Guest Navi491

You could just lower your graphic settings to LOW and run the game fine. I Had same issue where game would crash as you describe since the BTK update came out. Before update i ran game on ultra at 1920x1080 rez and 60frames. Now after Btk update my game crashed once a BIG explosion or particle effect would occur on screen. Only way to resolve this was by lowering graphics to low, and now i run the game perfectly fine with 120fps and no issues of crashes. I have latest graphic drivers for my geforce 460gtx factory overclock. Still have issue where crashes when i run on ultra.

Keep in mind before the BTK update i ran game on ultra no problem. After BTK i had issue your having. My solution was run game on LOW. Try it and see if it works.

Guest Spyder5
550 Watt power supply is pretty low imo - i notice my resources are used more in this than any other game except gfx card its not overly high playing bf3 - i have more processer heat and use for high end gaming and good system i always have 1000w+ power draw might be the snowball effect on whats happening and its just saying bf3 is crashing it because its the one drawing most resources

Do not fret my son, as i have the fix for your troubles.

560 gfx cards comes with a program called gamerOSD when you install the drivers, uninstall it and restart your computer and you shall not crash.

Guest TeKNoTroNiK
After replacing hard drive I continued to have issues until I enabled "PCI Busmaster" in the bios and game my cpu +0.025% voltage to stabilize the overclock. Now works great!! Thanks everyone for their suggestions! Greatly Appreciated!!

Archived