Play games remotly?

Guest iNoizZ

Guest iNoizZ
Is it possible with software (like teamviewer) to control my gaming rig from my mothers laptop (lol). So that I can play Mass Effect 2 maxed out on my laptop downtstairs? I tried teamviewer, but its very laggy. And if not, does anyone know a streaming service like onlive? Onlive is cool but a creditcard is required...

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

Teamviewer uses a server connection, which means it goes from your gaming rig, to the internet and back down stairs to your laptop a path which exceeds a straight line path to your laptop. Most screen control applications work this way and you will never really be able to get same quality gaming on your laptop downstairs with any streaming service.

Some things to consider are

You definitely need compression and possibly lower resolutions & frame rate.

You have a maximum of 119-125MB per second to work with on Gigabit Ethernet.

Buffering and using keyframes spread far apart is bad for lag.

You need it to be as un-buffered as possible without skipping.

KB & Mouse response time streaming back to the desktop has to be fast too, and might be more important than the video when it comes to FPS games.

Again if your laptop has a average graphics card, it still needs to render the data on the laptop end again so your going to need a decent graphics card for the laptop.

With any LAN streaming service your looking at a max framerate of about 10FPS in Microsoft word. There is little to no hope with games. My advice would be simply to play on your gaming computer, or if you really needed it, get a long VGA cable, or a VGA streaming box and also stream the audio alongside, although i can see this having issues with syncing and such its one possible solution.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Take a look at OnLive. I believe u can try it out for free. It's exactly what ur looking for.

PS Thieving, I'm so proud of u :) excellent answer.

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=
Take a look at OnLive. I believe u can try it out for free. It's exactly what ur looking for.

PS Thieving, I'm so proud of u :) excellent answer.

Onlive is a nice service if you have the internet speeds for it.

However, it isn't a service that allows you to control another computer. You have to purchase a game through their service and then log in to play it. If you already own the game you are going to have to buy it again through Onlive. (Also onlive only guarantees that it will keep games you purchase available for 3 years, after that they can remove them from their servers and you no longer get to play the game)

Also for multiplayer games you can only play with other OnLive copies of the game thus severely limiting any multiplayer games.

Guest iNoizZ

Ty guys for the answer. I guess its a no go. But as I said, OnLive is really cool, but I dont have a Creditcard...

So I cant buy anything. Hope it will come with other pay methods soon...:(

Well, I what do you mean with a 'decent graphics card'?

Laptop specs:

Nvidia 315m

i5-2430@2,4ghz stock

4 ddr3 ram @ 1066 mhz stock

500gb HDD

Gaming Rig specs:

AMD 6870 CrossfireX

i7 950 @ 3,07 ghz stock

6 ddr3 ram @ 1066mhz (automatic downclocked for mobo)

1000gb HDD

Is this to not powerful enough?

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

It's not so much the graphics card that is the issue its the data transfer rate, to get past this you need compression and a way to decode on the other end. Your graphics card should be fine for OnLive but some old laptops won't be suitable.(you may meet minimum specs but you won't be able to get a good experience with poor hardware). Also i think OnLive utilises CPU more so than GPU but thats just how i think they would do it.

I believe they render the frames for you and send you the rendered frames(like movie streaming), so all you need is hardware capable of playing movies. I have no experience with OnLive since it's not available in my country but i can only predict that it would require massive download and upload quota's even with the latest compression methods. And as a result i believe it could never be a reliable service unless you have a rock solid connection with outstanding speeds. For the occasional gamer i think its fine, but for any serious gamer your going to notice a visible difference.

Guest iNoizZ
It's not so much the graphics card that is the issue its the data transfer rate, to get past this you need compression and a way to decode on the other end. Your graphics card should be fine for OnLive but some old laptops won't be suitable.

I have no experience with OnLive since it's not available in my country but i can only predict that it would require massive download and upload quota's even with the latest compression methods.

Well, what I ment was if these specs where the cause for choppy remote gaming with teamviewer. OnLive isnt availible in my country (netherlands) but I tried Just Cause 2 trail with OnLive, and it was very, very smooth with 60 fps all the time. Ofc the resolutions are lower but it looked much better than console quality.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

OnLive is actually pretty solid there are obvious limitations that have been pointed out. But with my limited experience with it, it has surpassed my (low) expectations for this type of technology. For people who can't afford to upgrade or want to game on the road on a crappy laptop (or even Mac!) it's actually a pretty decent package.

The company is new and still growing, I hope they can keep turning a profit and expand this type of gaming forward.

It lends to the possibility that one day you could just have a "dumb" device with wifi and some input controls where all the processing is done remotely. This could allow you to have a very cheap device that can run full fledged PC games.

I remember hearing about the concept like 4 years ago when win7 was in development. It has come a long way since then.

Again it has many drawbacks. But it depends what ur looking for.

Guest Urbaan

I don't know if this works but when I'm I connect my computer to my 40" TV and staying in my bed and playing bf3 from bed.

Do you think that it's possible to do the exact same with two computers?

I use a HDMI cable from my computer to the TV so if you have 1 free HDMI input in each computer there might be some possibilities that you can connect the computer1 to computer2?

Or eles you might can connect the computer1 to computer2 with a normal AV-cable (not sure about the name)?

regards

Urbaan=US=

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
You want to connect two computers to your TV and then what? That's completely possible, you would have to alternate between the inputs.

Guest iNoizZ

Connecting 2 pc's together could be possible, but then there will be some long cables in my house...

And my family won't be very happy with that.

I guess I will just use my laptop for school and playing games like KOTOR and BFP4F. And use my gaming rig for the big boys like BF3, TEV5 and JC2.

I will definitly keep an eye out on OnLive, hope it will go Europe soon.

Guest Urbaan
You want to connect two computers to your TV and then what? That's completely possible, you would have to alternate between the inputs.

Captain, I tried this yesterday by putting a HDMI cable between two computers and it was working good. Then again I don't really know what I did to make it work but I just plugged it in.

Connecting 2 pc's together could be possible, but then there will be some long cables in my house...

And my family won't be very happy with that.

I guess I will just use my laptop for school and playing games like KOTOR and BFP4F. And use my gaming rig for the big boys like BF3, TEV5 and JC2.

I will definitly keep an eye out on OnLive, hope it will go Europe soon.

Noizz: You can always hide the cable in one way or another. ;)

Guest iNoizZ
Hehe no man, its impossible. First out of my chamber to the hallways middle floor then then the stairs, hallway bottom floor then through living room... Guess I need a 20 meter cable :P

Archived