The Future of AMD, AMD users be very scared

Guest xSubo

My best friend since 5th grade (im 29) works down in Austin designing cellphone cpu's, before that he had a small stint at AMD down in Austin, well we did our annual tradition of a movie and midnight whoppers yesterday and he began informing me of the new direction AMD is taking. I'm sure alot of this can be found in articles online or in magazines but this info is straight from the source, uninhibited. AMD hired a new CEO, he fired 15% of the staff, and announced the new directions the company may take. In short this new CEO wants to dump the whole PC side of AMD and leave intel and nvidia to handle pc's, and begin focussing on mobile devices and apps for mobile devices. Soo if you were like me and wondering why it takes AMD so long to release drivers and CAP profiles for new games it's because they seem to be on the out of the whole scene and don't care to much about it. Get out of AMD ppl its a sinking ship.

This sounds sad, real sad. Why focusing on mobiles? What with it these days? I really think the PC's are the bigger money maker. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I wish you were right, unfortuately the masses dont want to spend the money and jump through the PC hoopes in order to get the amazing joy that we pc users get. It's easier for a company to make a pre fab POS (xbox) and sell it for one low price, no upgrading, no technical anything whatsoever, its just easier to go that route. personally i'm scared that all development b/c of profits per actual effort taken payout to the console and mobile platforms. We have CoD and angry birds to thank for this.

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=
This isn't good for computer builders because without competition in the CPU business, CPUs will undoubtedly become more expensive and less efficient.

Guest James93
Its somewhat sad, but its not really surprising. Ever since the first gen of i5,i7. AMD started hurting. They can't keep up with intel. After the dissapointment of bulldozer they are calling a quits. I did hear they were going to still make laptop cpus. But intel with how i3's are getting cheap as slowing pushing them out to. Mobile right now is being lead by nvidia. With some amazing stuff. Unless amd comes with something amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a huge downsizing and focus on gpu something they are good at.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
This sounds sad, real sad. Why focusing on mobiles? What with it these days? I really think the PC's are the bigger money maker. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

We have past that point in history. Mobile devices out number traditional PCs and the gap is only growing. In the near future we won't have PCs in the sense we do now, just like 15 years ago we didn't use them even close to how they are used now. Tablets and mobile devices will take over most of the tasks PCs currently do.

AMD is trying to cut their losses and spend money on a burgeoning market instead of a shrinking one.

Guest Harkster
We have past that point in history. Mobile devices out number traditional PCs and the gap is only growing. In the near future we won't have PCs in the sense we do now, just like 15 years ago we didn't use them even close to how they are used now. Tablets and mobile devices will take over most of the tasks PCs currently do.

AMD is trying to cut their losses and spend money on a burgeoning market instead of a shrinking one.

I agree. How often do people get new phones versus new computers? a new phone comes out every year and people get in line to get one. A new processor (PC) barley gets any hype anymore. I have never owned an AMD chip (Being raised as an intel guy) but it is a sad thing to hear. Kinda happy I stuck with intel in my last build though.

Oke alright, ty for the correction. I'm happy that I have an intel processor (i7 950) but I'm worried about my graphics cards. I really want these drivers and caps. And ofc CrossFireX support. Why amd, why?

Archived