Windows 7 cpu usage 80-100% when idle

Guest iNoizZ

Hello, I'm back again ;)

I have a problem with my cpu. Even though it's idle (nothing special in I check the taskmanagar) it's still between 80-100% usage. This causes my games to lag. Someone can help me please?

-iNoizZ

Guest Mestalfrun
well I can try to help, can you get me a screenshot of the services tab of Task Manager, as well as the total processes? That can be located in the bottom left corner :) also provide your computer specs please!

Alright, ty man. Here are the pics:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/9641/naamloostk.png

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9201/naamloo2s.png

My furder specs:

AMD 6870 CrossFireX

6GB RAM 1333 mhz (running at 1066mhz due to processor)

Intel Core i7 950

I hope this is enough information! ;)

-iNoizZ

EDIT: Now this is getting wierd. My CPU sometimes just lowers to 20% (sometimes even 0%). This for like 10 seconds, and then it's back to 80-100. While it lowers, My fps suddenly goes to 60 for 10 seconds. I have no idea whats going on....

Guest Undefined
Right click the ping.exe that's eating up all your CPU, go to file location, and delete it violenty. It's spyware. End the process as well, 'cause it'll prolly give you trouble deleting it while it's running.

Yeah, I already noticed it. I tried to end procress. But it just restarts itself. I'm scanning my system.

When I try to remove it manually, It says that I need permissions or something from trustedinstaller?

Undefined, you were right. After a virus scan everything is normal. When idle the cpu almost 0 all the time and reaches a maximum on 40 when playing games (Arkham City, Splinter Cell Conviction and Battlefield 3). I can finally play Arkham City in DX11 with no lag. Thank man!

Guest Mestalfrun

Try right clicking and suspending it. It shouldn't reactivate. -- its only temp tho, but at least your processor can run cool wile you search for a solution.

EDIT: Psych you got it, grats :D

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

Win32.Trojan.k

Thats the actual file name. Also block any remaining files with your firewall so you can clean it from the registry and other fallout files. That will prevent it from contacting the server and re-installing it.

Win32.Trojan.k

Thats the actual file name. Also block any remaining files with your firewall so you can clean it from the registry and other fallout files. That will prevent it from contacting the server and re-installing it.

Oke, ty General. Will do that.

Aight, I was wrong. This morning my cpu was 100 again. Why? Well, the virus re-installed itself. And simply destroyed my firewall. It really ****es me off. And I have all the permissions of it. Tomorrow I will do a clean install of windows 7, it's the fastest solution. I really dont know why I have this virus. I have a real-time scanner. I dont go to wrong sites and I dont watch 'mature' content (you know what I mean)

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

A good trojan will tend to embed itself so that it avoid heuristic analysis, and in turn avoids common detection algorithms. It will often save itself in multiple locations(usually 3) which include somewhere in the windows folders, the registry, and an arbitrary hidden folder or within a hidden folder. It usually creates a bat file that runs on start up so that the process cannot be removed via MSConfig and it usually saves that file under a random name only referenced in the registry entry. The bat file also means that the trojan can rebuild itself.

When a virus scan looks over the virus, it finds the windows file easily because the .dll or other file easily fails heuristic because it's where the virus works from and generally has an easily identifiable signature. The registry entry is then usually found but may not actually be deleted as is the case with many virus scanners they will simply put a message or some kind of notification or may not even detect it. The arbitrary folder is near impossible to find, and may in fact lie in a computer's file system for many years in a idle state if it's not activated or there is no clear link between it and the virus itself.

Reinstalling windows seems like a good option because its fool proof, because it reformats the entire drive but that does not mean you won't get the virus again, its probably a good idea to invest in a better virus scanner.

A good trojan will tend to embed itself so that it avoid heuristic analysis, and in turn avoids common detection algorithms. It will often save itself in multiple locations(usually 3) which include somewhere in the windows folders, the registry, and an arbitrary hidden folder or within a hidden folder. It usually creates a bat file that runs on start up so that the process cannot be removed via MSConfig and it usually saves that file under a random name only referenced in the registry entry. The bat file also means that the trojan can rebuild itself.

When a virus scan looks over the virus, it finds the windows file easily because the .dll or other file easily fails heuristic because it's where the virus works from and generally has an easily identifiable signature. The registry entry is then usually found but may not actually be deleted as is the case with many virus scanners they will simply put a message or some kind of notification or may not even detect it. The arbitrary folder is near impossible to find, and may in fact lie in a computer's file system for many years in a idle state if it's not activated or there is no clear link between it and the virus itself.

Reinstalling windows seems like a good option because its fool proof, because it reformats the entire drive but that does not mean you won't get the virus again, its probably a good idea to invest in a better virus scanner.

Yeah, I saw the virus (PING.EXE) appearing in multiple places, but removing them had no effect. After 30 seconds they where in their folders again. But I have let my PC stay on for a big of the day (downloading all my steam games again) and the CPUI was perfectly fine.

A new virusscanner is a good option. But since I don't have much money, can you recommend me a free virusscanner?

-iNoizZ

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

I agree with ThievingSix, reformatting is usually the best option. If you have any important files you want to keep, just upload them onto an external hard drive or even a USB flash drive.

I have already got into the habit of reformatting every 6-12 months, and not keeping anything too important on the computer. The only things I usually keep are homeworks and pictures.

I agree with ThievingSix, reformatting is usually the best option. If you have any important files you want to keep, just upload them onto an external hard drive or even a USB flash drive.

I have already got into the habit of reformatting every 6-12 months, and not keeping anything too important on the computer. The only things I usually keep are homeworks and pictures.

I reformatted my hdd with te Windwos 7 Installation disc. And I copied my savegames, homework and photoshop files to one usb. I had 2gigs preciese XD

Archived