New Youtube Homepage

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

Guest RET.WO1.Pieman=US=

I like it. Change is good, the same page gets boring...

If I ran a site like youtube it would change every week.

Guest RET.MCPO.MasterOfPuppets=US=
I preferred the last version. I don't like how its just a mixed chronological list of latest videos posted.

Guest BigMac530
There is a difference between innovation and killing something. What exactly was wrong with the old YouTube? All it is, is a fancy new skin...

Guest SoundOfDeath

Why did we advance from one-core processors? They worked fine.

Why bother upgrading operating systems? All they have are a new skin and a couple new features, just like the youtube redesign.

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

Everything on the right side is useless that includes Recommended, spotlight, and featured videos. I never watch any of those videos.

All my subscribed videos are now unorganized, it is now the most recently uploaded videos. I liked having all my videos grouped together by the channels they were uploaded from. The video icons and the texts are too big. If you want to see more of your subscribed videos, "click load more" on the bottom and continuously scroll down .

This feels more like Windows XP upgrading to Windows Vista.

Guest SoundOfDeath
You see the channels on the left, you can actually click those and get videos only from that channel, and then from there you can choose only uploads. Seems organized to me.

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

Now it requires more unnecessary clicks before I can see a list of different subscribed channels and their most recently updated videos. I could also click "more" on the bottom to see more subscribed channel's videos.

With the old homepage, I could see all my subscribed channel's most recently uploaded videos all-in-one page but with the most-recently-uploaded system, all I see is videos from the most active uploading channels like gamespot and IGN. Right now, all I see on the homepage are videos from gamespot.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

I strongly dislike it, personally i think its terrible GUI design. The old layout meant that the page did not need to be stretched 10 metres to fit all the subscription videos in.

The new layout is NOT about improving design usability for users, its about Google making more money by promoting people who pay for advertising and "promotion". If you have viewed the new YouTube music page lately you will clearly see that only famous artists are promoted on the front page and smaller artists never appear there even when their the only thing you watch, the recommended(ie paid artists and VEVO) get the front page slots. You will also notice that now 6 slots(which is about a quarter of the page) is devoted to "spotlight" videos, which are essentially pay to be there videos. And personally none of the recommended videos are of any interest to me, even though I've had a YouTube account for a while now and they should have more than sufficient data on my viewing habits, their algorithms aren't good enough to produce relevant recommendations yet.

I also dislike the fact that when your subscribed to lots of channels your entire page can be difficult to sort through because you can't deleted watched videos from your subscription list. I don't want to nor should i have to remember the videos I've watched and haven't watched. It's asking too much from the user. This is not helped by the fact that the screen is extremely cluttered(its almost as if it was designed for an iphone), there's no way of any kind of organisation other than sorting by channels which is useless because i don't just want to watch what I'm subscribed to.

In my opinion the page needed a lot more time in development before being released so publicly. A quick search of the internet shows that a considerable portion of users are dissatisfied, I'd say around 60%. With the rest not caring, and the others amused by shiny graphics and anything with he word "new" on it.

I'm almost dead sure that the executives sitting in the top chairs decided they wanted more money and forced the dev's to produce and release something that was both unfinished and lacking basic functionality that is to be expected from such an important medium.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Why change or fix something that isn't broken...

Seriously a terrible mindset to have. Why don't you go just use a type writer and mail your next forum post to us? Oh no because people were happy with quills and ink at one time, wait no...I believe someone felt a stone and chisel was good enough for them...

Take that mindset to the caves where it belongs :P

Innovation is needed for the survival of mankind.

/lecture rant

I like the new youtube page. Minimal = good...reminds me of a somewhat successful search engine company...

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
What is this "YouTube" you speak of? Videos on the Internet .... It will never take off. That is why we have VCR's and we can listen to music on our 8-track and cassette tapes.

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=

Pros:

It is an "innovation"

Cons:

Scrolling down forever to find subscription videos

Can not delete videos you had already watched

Videos you had already watched do not remove themselves

Recommended, Spotlight, and featured videos are only there to make money

Subscription videos are not organized based on channels that uploaded them, and only allow most recently uploaded videos to be on top

More unnecessary clicks to find videos; this goes back to clicking "load more" & scrolling down and etc.,

Please compare the new homepage to the old one for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/home <- Old Homepage

Archived