BF3 Random Crashes

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

So i'm playing in BF3 and everything will be going fine and then randomly, it will freeze. The entire display as far as i can tell freezes and if it does recover it says "Nvidia Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". Now this happens pretty often i'd say about once a day but its very sporadic and i can never try and replicate the issue. I've got my fans turned up and the temperature never exceeds 53*.

I run everything on Ultra and get around 60FPS. There isn't any stuttering prior to it or anything it just happens randomly. I've uninstalled and re-installed the drivers completely using driver sweeper and i'm still getting the error.

System Specs(all stock speeds)

Corsair AX750 PSU

ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO

EVGA GTX 570

Intel i5-2500K

Corsair Dominator 4GB

Anyone else having issues?, i think it may have something to do with a faulty card itself, but i don't really want to have to shell out and buy another card if i can get this one working.

Guest Navi491
i hear the nvida 570s are not well support by BF3. Maybe if you have an old video card, see if you can install that and run bf3. If game doesnt crash/freeze then the problem is your video card. And it might not be that the card is defective, its just that the card is not well support by bf3. Check the technical support forums on battlelog and you can see a few threads of people with similar problems with 570s.

Guest RET.MG.Qotsa=US=

It happens to me as well,

Driver Version; 285.62 GTX 465. I'm thinking about rolling back the driver as I do not recall it happening before I updated to the new one.

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
I get the same thing but didn't happen as often until this past week.

Tho other times I get bf3.exe stopped working.

I get that one, but I just attribute that to playing on a machine that is almost to old to pllay the game.

Guest XeromabinX

I had this problem too with my Nvidia 460m. There is a simple fix you just go to the Nvidia control panel > Set PhysX configuration and instead of having it on "Auto-Select" make it select your video card instead. I did that a couple weeks ago and it hasn't happened again since, hope you have the same luck.

Oh also BF3.exe has stopped working is because Origin is still in Beta phase so it has problems communicating with the Battlelog servers sometimes which causes your game to crash. It was doing that to me as well but hasn't happened for a while now, I think they may finally have fine tuned it enough.

I am running 285.62 the latest drivers. All settings are on default. I will try your fix Xero and see how things work out.

When i rolled back my drivers to 285.32 i still had the problem.

EDIT: Did not work. So i've now increased the voltage on my GPU because i think that may be the problem, its now 1.025V. I've also updated my cards bios with the new EVGA one, which unlocks the fan speed aswell so hopefully i will be able to see some results now. I'm still running everything else stock levels.

Guest Seiph3r
Mine just stops responding, freezes. I'm Running a HiS 9000 card with updated drivers. Even back in my BF2 days and BC2 the program used to just crash back to desktop.. no warning just crash :(

Guest XeromabinX

Try getting driver sweeper then erasing everything named Nvidia. http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

Then try reinstalling graphics driver software. If you are getting the error message "Graphics Driver has stopped responding..." etc etc then it shouldn't be anything wrong with your card just the driver. If it is just blacking out entirely then you may have a heating issue.

You can also check the temperature of all your hardware with HWMonitor. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I had to do all of this and more just to get everything running smoothly with 285.62 so I feel your pain lol.

Yeah i uninstalled all drivers through safe mode and deleted all nvidia folders and files and cleaned the registry using DriverSweeper and CCleaner.

I doubt its actually a driver issue because if i re-seat my graphics card it will work fine for a while no crashes, which is really strange, because the card is sitting fine in its slot. And the voltage tweaking did not work for me , the problem only got worse. I have a custom fan profile set up in EVGA precision and my temps never exceed 60*. All other settings are nvidia specification settings.

I have to re-seat it every time, usually after around 6-7 hours of sporadic game time the driver issues start.

I have now installed the new Nvidia drivers that came out today 285.79 and i can confirm it fixed a black screen bug in movie maker but as to this issue i still need to test further.

EDIT: The drivers did nothing to fix this issue, i was able to fix it by reducing the settings down from ULTRA to HIGH. And it's been working fine for 2 hours now. Tomorrow i will test pushing certain settings up to see which one the card does not like, i have a feeling its the anti-aliasing set at x16 that's causing the issue. I also reduced my core clock down by 8 points.

Its not really fix, but a work around, there's no reason why a GTX 570 can't run everything on ultra so it seems strange im having issues.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

GTX 570 here, too, and I'll ocassionally see the same issues, but I attributed it to a heat issue. When I take the fan off auto in eVGA Precision and crank it about to 80-85% fan speed I usually have a bit more luck not crashing. I also have graphics on High not Ultra, and stopped Windows Aero. What happens with me is that it will crash once when I open a new game, but then after that I kill bf3.exe, re-open the game and it runs fine for quite awhile after that.

I'll have to wait until I'm home to get you driver versions and clock speeds.

Guest CarboniteX
yeah im currently having problems aswell, my game wont even start now, uninstalled the game and reinstalling now, all my drivers are up to date, i dunno, was working fine before the origin update, i missed practice tonight because of it, ugh so frustrating why cant this game just work flawlessly

Ok i may have sound some solutions to help with the problem.

1. WIN7 - Set your windows power management settings(control panel>Hardware and sound>power options)). Set your power plan to High Performance and then click change plan settings, then click advanced settings and make sure the PCI express power management is set to OFF(the link power management)

2. Uninstall adobe AIR, might be a fix, some users have reported it helps.

3. Get rid of any overclocks, and start overclocking from scratch once the problems fixed

4. Increase voltage to 1.000 or 1.025, has shows to help some users with undervolted cards

5. Set your DRAM frequency to your specifications for your ram and not "Auto".(may help but not sure)

6. Be sure you have a custom FAN profile, and the curve should be an exponential as heat increases.

7. Get the latest BETA drivers, it fixes black screen issues and artifacting in certain circumstances.

8. Get your latest GFX card BIOS, available from your manufacturer site. With evga this comes labeled as Fan Speed Unlocker, and is not listed under official downloads but rather you need to google search it for your card.

Hopefully those might help anyone with the issue, i have been much more stable now(only 1 crash so far), compared to about 1 every 5 mins.

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
Hopefully those might help anyone with the issue, i have been much more stable now(only 1 crash so far), compared to about 1 every 5 mins.

Glad your up and running . Did you find a fix for a slow fat old man playing very badly?

• 2 weeks later...

To update this hopefully a final time, I had a bad card.

After a few more days of running fine the card just died. It would work fine in safe mode but as soon as i installed Nvidia's drivers it would bluescreen. I tried every possible option, disabling all windows power saving settings, different asus software and eventually i just reinstalled win 7 and the problem was still there.

I went out, bought a new GTX 580 and haven't had a problem since.

Guest PainKiller

this happened to me earlier today, IDk why but I hate it hahaha

My cards and system do get hot.. very hot, but it has never happened before, and I have not installed anything new, to be honest since this "update" for the game to "help" fix problems, I have run into more problems, its even harder for me to enter games and my games crash far more often

Archived